The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Sag bay  (Read 1506 times)

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sag bay
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:19 PM »
Me and a buddy are gonna give it a shot this weekend, we've both done Erie Western basin plenty of times but no Erie this year means we get to try something new! So I've got a few questions for seasoned bay fishermen, I Know info on the bay is worth it's weight in gold so if anyone wants to private message instead of post I welcome it.
1. I've seen many reports of people saying you have to get to 20-30 fow to get into good schools of fish. But then I've seen others swearing that they don't ever fish more than 15fow. What's your opinions? Obviously much longer walk to deeper water but is it worth it? Is the mornings and evenings better shallow and mid day better deeper?
2. I know thousands of guys a day are heading out and the access points are a zoo. Is there a better access for walkers? We're planning on the west side of the bay probably a little further north, is the traffic and commotion just as bad up that way or a little less? We don't do the shanty towns, we try to stay a mile or so away from them if possible.

Thanks for any info anyone is willing to share, feel free to send a private message
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sag bay
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Pm inbound
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:21 AM »
Long walk to deep water

Offline Suspended Bite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:20 PM »
long walk  is an understatement in any scenario your 3 miles from getting anywhere decent.  a snowmobile is best if not a quad or side by side with a planks or bridge to cross pressurecracks.

my 2 cents is that if you have to walk, try the river anyone know if the river is safe right now?

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2019, 05:43 PM »
It's all good, we've done 4-5 miles one way on Erie before. But I think are gonna try some spots that will be less than that. Cracks are cracks, gotta deal with them if you want to fish big water. Obviously we're cautious and take wind very much into account when crossing cracks. Will have spud and plank or aluminum ramp.

Only thing that really sucks for walkers is snow... Anyone have a report of How much snow is on the ice right now?
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:59 PM »
We just got a wet 5 inches so a wet 5 inches lol

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:06 PM »
Rain on thursday should mow it down to next to nothing.... Im going to have a stroke regardless with all the stuff i carry out... I seriously need to build a smitty sled

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2019, 12:50 PM »
Sure would be great if the weather could be nice for two weeks so we can get in some good fishing.  This rain, snow, rain, 40 degrees, 28 below chit needs to end!!!

Wind direction forecasts aren't looking favorable on a few of these upcoming days, either.  Ice will be shifting around...

Offline pyro261

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:03 PM »
We just got a wet 5 inches so a wet 5 inches lol

Is there really only 5" on the ice right now? We're headed over this weekend and a buddy keeps getting reports of 2+ foot drifts and too much snow for a quad. Which is it?
I'm bringing my sled over but it's liquid cooled with no studs and no scratchers. He's looking into finding a sled to bring over now instead of a SxS

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Yea i havent been out there far i bet there are some nasty drifts i cant garuntee safe travel it may be a pain in the butt idk im always on foot

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Thanks again to those who gave me some tips and info! We tried Saturday, up around au gres, marked fish but they weren't really interested, moved around a lot trying to find hungry fish. Finally set up the shanty when we met up with doeslayer. Saw some big white fish and Lakers, and my buddy lost a big beautiful Laker at the hole....

Went out today a little further south. Walked out, 9 fow. Fished from about 630-12  got the first walleye literally one minute after drilling the hole, figured that's a good sign ;D most of the action was early but had a couple walleye come through at 1130 and that's when I got the bigger one. I did lose 2 walleye also, and had a whitefish peck at my lure but wouldn't commit. Also caught one walleye that was short of 13in

All the fish except the first walleye and the big one came on gold slender spoon with just a minnow head, big fish came on a deadstick/ jighead and lively minnow. Walleye are 17-23" perch are 8.5-11"

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2019, 04:04 PM »
Thanks for the report, Quack!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.