Author Topic: Coleman propane stove modification.  (Read 3019 times)

Trooper Bri

Coleman propane stove modification.
« on: Nov 06, 2008, 06:52 PM »
Ah, the Coleman electronic ignition 2-burner propane stove. Who doesn't have one of these ? They work awesome. I dug my ice gear out of the closet this week, and realized i had another weird project from a couple years ago i could post.  ;D

For some situations i wanted the cooking surface away from the flame more. It's good if you want to keep the flame real low and have a pot of chili or soup all day without having to babysit it as much. It's not perfect for everything, but nice to have the option handy.

Here's a pic of the rack in it's stock position. That puts your pot/pan/griddle 1/2" from the burner.

So after a bit of pondering, out poured this idea. I had a friend weld 4 large washers to the rack, along the bottom of the cross bars.

After that it's four 1/4" carriage bolts that are 2 1/2 inches long. Then just use two 1/4" nuts per bolt to grab the washer.

The heads of the carriage bolts are the "feet" for the rack. Simply attach the bolts to the washers, and keep the end of the bolt flush with the top nut. Takes less than a minute to put them on.
With this setup, the two locator prongs on the rack still sit in their holes about 1/8" so the rack cant slide around on it's new feet.

I now have 2 inches of space instead of 1/2" inch when the occasion calls. I just keep the bolts in a small zip-loc storage bag and toss it in the grill with the regulator at the end of the day.

Just a quickie project, but sometimes ideas simply will not leave your head until they're realized. Especially when the project only costs 79 cents.  ;D

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
Re: Coleman propane stove modification.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Ilike it gonna alter mine now great job

Keith

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline ALASKANSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JIFFY TIME!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2008, 04:53 PM »
pretty fancy!

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They were here yesterday...
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2008, 05:53 PM »
That looks like a great idea, nice to not have to babysit the stew if the bit really picks up all of a sudden

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2008, 02:21 PM »
smart idea!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Trooper Bri

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2008, 06:08 PM »
Thanks guys! Hopefully i'll be using it on the ice in 3 or 4 more weeks.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2008, 06:47 PM »
She is a high mileage unit finatic. When i got it a few years ago (free!), the regulator was bad i believe. Went to Coleman's site to order the part and saw how cheap other parts were, so i spent like 20 or 25 bucks for some other stuff like the rectangular silver tray around the burners, igniter, maybe new burners too.

Disassembled it, scubbed it down real good and put it back together with the fresh parts. Haven't really washed it since, gotta season it again. It only gets used on the ice and power outages at the house, and we ain't had a whole lot of either the past couple years.  ;D

Offline zonks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:16 PM »
sweet idea i'm gonna do it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.