Author Topic: just how long can you keep perch  (Read 11011 times)

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
just how long can you keep perch
« on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:19 AM »
 hello guys&gals
      how long can you keep perch   in the freezer

if it is wrapped  good  in double  foil
& no freezer  burn
    thank you  for reading
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: just how long can you keep perch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:31 AM »
You should freeze in a bag of water and they might last 6 months.  Not real sure though as I eat or give them away fresh mostly.  I also learn not to fill up my bucket.

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:26 AM »
Thanks  for your input
I found  some  that was from last year   
  &  its been  3 hours   since   I posted
& 1 reply   dont Know and 500 members
....... :sick:

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline Jim_R

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Partner
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:54 PM »
Trim off any freezer-burned spots and pickle the fillets.

Hardwater...is there any other?

Offline kraftamatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:39 PM »
 I learned from old timer to put fillets in cardboard milk carton and use distilled water they last for a long time.
you gonna set steel or whistle dixie

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:47 PM »
I did an experiment a few years ago with some salmon from Lake Ontario. I froze some fillets 3 different ways; wrapped in saran wrap, in a ziploc bag of water, and vacuum sealed with a good foodsaver.

After being in the freezer for a year and a month the fish wrapped in saran wrap was completely freezer burned and unusable. The fish frozen in water was in better condition than the fish in saran wrap, but was still unusable. The fillets that were vacuum sealed still looked great, and I ate them.

Ok so it wasn't really an experiment, I was in the army and I didn't get home that often and they just happened to sit in the freezer for that long. But the outcome was the same- I think the best way to keep fish the longest is to vacuum seal them.

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:03 PM »
I use a vacumn food saver for all my fish caught then freeze. Over 1 year and then thaw out. Soak in salt water then cook the way you like.
Kim :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:25 PM »
For years, fillets have been frozen in recycled and very clean, 1# and 2# cottage cheese containers, here. Always leaving about 3/4" empty space. Next day, removed the top and add COLD water to cover the fillets, recap and back in the freezer. The month and year were on each lid.  Well, things happen in some freezers, mine has gremlins that move things around, ha.

A few of the family got together for a fry to the enjoyment of all. After the feast, the conversation got around to "When did you catch all those, 'cause you haven't been out in a while ?"   I told them they didn't want to know. They insisted and said how good they were.  Oh, just seven years ago. 

Put them up right and there will be no freezer burn or yuck/off taste !     ;)2

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:32 PM »
In essence, as long as the fish are frozen in a BLOCK of water, I've kept them for a long time. No way to freezer burn that way. AND, bottled "spring" water is best; city water with chlorine gives an "off" taste after a while.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:38 PM »
Yup, Reb. Some shi, oops, city water has gone through too many kidneys.    :woot: :roflmao:

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2013, 01:43 PM »
I use a vacumn food saver for all my fish caught then freeze. Over 1 year and then thaw out. Soak in salt water then cook the way you like.
the only to go,food saver is REAL great,i buy the better bags off the internet ,the salmon lasted over a year, we could
not tell it was old,GREAT,GREAT,
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT 
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2013, 04:48 PM »

I have been using the Debbie Meyers freezer bags and vac sealer very inexpensive , and have eaten fish that are a year old and fine and with vac sealing I freeze mine flat on a cookie sheet takes  up a lot less room in the freezer , just got a new food saver for Xmas , but haven't used it yet , my son in law does all his venison with one says it works great

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2013, 08:39 PM »
They do work great as long as you freeze whatever your vacuum sealing I had some deer meat and sausage that was almost 2 years old and it was fine

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2013, 07:30 AM »
I used  tin foil
with  ease  2 times   over  & well the perch dinner was 100%  yum
thanks  for all the replies  on my topic

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2013, 07:27 AM »

Only way to go takes up a lot less room and better results.
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2013, 10:54 AM »
I second the water if they are completely encased I have had them a good year with no drop in quality

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2013, 01:53 PM »
Vac seal is the best in my opinion

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2013, 07:33 PM »
I've been freezing gills,crappie,and perch for a long time ,did the milk cartons and water,or plastic containers and water,then zip lock freezer bags and water,burp out all the air and freeze. I still do most of my fish in zip locks and water,but use my vac food saver on some,wet fillets are harder to seal,so dry fillets with paper towels and seal or use a new clean folded paper towel in the food saver bag just behind the seal. The best method is lay your fillets on a cookie sheet and freeze first,then vac pack them,you'll get a great air tight seal. My opinion is Best eaten fresh,next under 6 months,next up to a year. I had lost a few bags through the years that where 2 years old and where ok (no freezer burn) but some what fishy or stronger flavor,made fish cake with the help of lemon juice. Some fish doesn't freeze as well as others,gills,perch and eyes freeze better than crappies in my opinion.

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Best way is zip lock freezer bags and water keeps the fish fresh. I have pulled some out after two years and they still were not freezer burnt.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2014, 05:57 PM »
Best way is zip lock freezer bags and water keeps the fish fresh. I have pulled some out after two years and they still were not freezer burnt.

I concur.

Offline frogcity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:35 AM »
Vacuum Sealer.

The wife grabs the fillets just as soon as I have them free from the fish. She adds seasonings, a little olive oil in portion size packages.  Seal and freeze. Wait until following fall, . Pop in walleye fillet, microwave, high 4 minutes...Cut package and slide out 2 clean fillets on a plate with garden stand triple sweet corn on the cob  and fresh dug potatoes..dont get any better...

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:20 PM »
you microwave your fish ??? :-\

Offline bnybstr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Food sealer works great I have tried both perch and venison over two years old and they were fantastic.

Offline frogcity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:46 AM »
yes, I microwave.  Years ago I used to cook fish in all the traditional ways. My wife does not like fish or even the smell of them. She put up with a lot of my "hobbies" that take over the house. BUT the kitchen is hers. I wont argue with that. Real good cook. Plus I am lazy. All I got to do is to go into the kitchen stating that I am going to make a sandwich. "NO, NO, NO, Leave my kitchen alone. I will make it! What do you want?" I just smile, say thanks hon, and go back to watching tv..lol

Actually works very nice. I was a little skeptical at first, but I got to say that now it is my favorite method. If I want a meal of fish, it is a simple matter to pop straight from the freezer to the microwave on a plate. The only clean up is the plate. It also works great for those nights out. I will throw enough fillet packages for everyone. It really is not a good idea to work the stove when you are drinking, esp. when everyone is leaning against something to stand up...... ;) In any case, I have had no complaints from anyone and I have to keep it quiet that I have more fish.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:22 AM »
interesting

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2014, 08:36 AM »
It Shore  is
nobody uses tin foil 

I still do
X2 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.