Author Topic: marquette ice fishing  (Read 2326 times)

Offline shancooper

• IceShanty Rookie
marquette ice fishing
« on: Mar 15, 2006, 08:27 PM »
Hello,  I will be in Marquette next week, March 23-27.  I have been watching the weather and it looks like it will be warming up.  I was wondering if you think that I may get a chance to go ice fishing safely.  I will be travelling up from Alabama, any suggestions or advice will be welcomed.  Thanks.  [email protected]

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Re: marquette ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2006, 11:06 AM »
There should still be enough ice on inland lakes to fish. Stop in at Gander, they will clue you in. Also, you can fish the lower or upper harbors now off the breakwall or the coal dock for coho, splake, and whitefish. Bring a chair, long noodle rod, and some ice cleats. Most fish are being caught off small minnows and fresh spawn (dont buy any of that bottled crap!). You can always toss a spoon off the breakwall for Lakers as well. Lots of options in Marquette county for shore fishing.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline Handlining Rules

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2006, 06:17 PM »
KillIt...

Any word on how they are doing off the breakwalls??
I havent heard much as of yet, although there have been boats on the bubbler for a couple days.
May try the breakwalls this weekend just to get the cabin fever out of me.
Andy

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2006, 10:29 AM »
I have not heard anything on the breakwall report in a week. This time of year you can usually get *something* off the breakwalls though. In Superior, it's a crap shoot what you'll catch, but all of it is edible.

I do know that guys have been catching coho and splake off the bubbler, and a little deeper out. I heard that a smaller silver/blue diving rap was the ticket. Of course, steelehead should be running soon (I heard they are staging), and you can always go off the mouth of the carp/chocolay rivers to give it a try.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.