The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Pike question  (Read 1291 times)

Offline finnie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pike question
« on: Oct 05, 2010, 11:23 AM »
Never caught a pike but i am going to this year.  Lost one at the hole last year endd of season... i was perch fishing so i had a mono leader on my tip ups.  what is the best kind of tipup leader to use?  shoud i buy the pre made ones with the swivels or teh kind you crimp yourself.  let me know so i can order some.  thanks a lot!
In it to win it!

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pike question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2010, 11:43 AM »
I used to buy mine but at about $7 a pop I think I will make my own from now on. After doing alot of musky fishing this summer I fell in love with 100-130# florocarbon. You wont need to crimp anything if you retie before each adventure. Floro is extremly abraision resistant and that heavy of a line should last you a few fish, that is why i will be tieing my own. If your going to buy them, Stelth fishing tackle.com has the highest quality leaders on the market in my opinion. They are hand made but a little on the salty side for me. When tieing your own all you need is a little super glue on your knots and your good to go. Good luck.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Finnie there should be a lot of information on pike fishing in the Northern Pike board . (see page that lists all boards) . In general pike are not line shy ,some members will say the pound test fluorocarbon of 100-130 is overkill and you can go lighter. If you use tip ups see if quick strike rigging is legal in your area .This rigging allows you to set the hook/hooks while the pike is running with your bait. On a rod i would use a swivel to attach your line to whatever type leader you decide to use heavy mono., fluorocarbon,wire,etc.
 Steve

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2010, 01:36 PM »
50# pink andes, never had a bite through (yet). check for nicks after each pike.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2010, 03:58 PM »
50# pink andes, never had a bite through (yet). check for nicks after each pike.
Good luck knot ive had 50lb floro cut like butter  >:(
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Good luck knot ive had 50lb floro cut like butter  >:(

And I just smiled when it did  ;D ;D ;D

Steel is real baby !

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline IcePirate6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaggg!!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:18 AM »
I have had a few bite offs with floro, I stick with 100# mono never had an issue with that .

Offline finnie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:52 AM »
I notice that more people say 100# mono vs wire or titanium.  is the main downside of wire the cost? 
In it to win it!

Offline Mr.Sodus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks
« Reply #8 on: Oct 06, 2010, 12:33 PM »
sensitivity.
wire is, well, steel.
Hey Charlie, the kid's got one on over here...

Offline IcePirate6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaggg!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2010, 01:39 PM »
For me it is the sensitivity but for some reason I like the illusion of clear line, maybe it still show up but something makes me personally think its hidden more. And its all about me right??

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2010, 02:07 PM »
And I just smiled when it did  ;D ;D ;D

Steel is real baby !

(Image removed from quote.)
Yes you did dink. wish i listened to you instead of being pissed >:(

Offline MASS_pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pay your dues!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2010, 02:22 PM »
I used to buy mine but at about $7 a pop I think I will make my own from now on. After doing alot of musky fishing this summer I fell in love with 100-130# florocarbon. You wont need to crimp anything if you retie before each adventure. Floro is extremly abraision resistant and that heavy of a line should last you a few fish, that is why i will be tieing my own. If your going to buy them, Stelth fishing tackle.com has the highest quality leaders on the market in my opinion. They are hand made but a little on the salty side for me. When tieing your own all you need is a little super glue on your knots and your good to go. Good luck.

Ok so the spin off question is what kind of knot do most people us when fishing with line this heavy and thick, both for hook connection and backing connection?   Super glue, sounds like a good plan too.  I generally never use line of this size but think I am giong to try some 100#heavy floro on my pike tips this winter.   The one time I saw line of this weight being used, was out on an ocean charter trip, and the mate tied some kind of knot I had never seen or tied before.  

So what do the pike pros reccommend?

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Palomar knot and wet it before you tighten down its supposed to be one of a couple knots that are 100% knot strength to line weight. For pike i use 30lb blood red american fishing wire and crimp them. I got a coule decent fish with them so im sticking with it ;)

Offline IcePirate6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaggg!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 06, 2010, 07:29 PM »
I use the metal clamps for putting leaders together pinch them super tight and Ive never had an issue.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.