Author Topic: New Helix 7 SI  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
New Helix 7 SI
« on: Dec 02, 2019, 10:32 PM »
Picked up the helix 7 SI, 12ah lithium battery, and the ice kit from 3 different places online today.  Just need the Navionics card now, or something similar, and I’ll be ready to go.  Always used Marcum stuff till now, but with the high probability of getting a kayak this next spring, I decided to get one unit that will do it all.  From what has been said on this forum, as well as other places around the web, I think this will be a good setup for a long time!
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
Re: New Helix 7 SI
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2019, 04:43 AM »
Picked up the helix 7 SI, 12ah lithium battery, and the ice kit from 3 different places online today.  Just need the Navionics card now, or something similar, and I’ll be ready to go.  Always used Marcum stuff till now, but with the high probability of getting a kayak this next spring, I decided to get one unit that will do it all.  From what has been said on this forum, as well as other places around the web, I think this will be a good setup for a long time!
Look at the smart strike lake master chip. It’s pretty handy.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:13 AM »
I did an Excel spreadsheet with settings for my Helix 7 GPS if your interested (Doesn't include SI settings tho).  I printed it out and laminated it for use on the ice.....

Offline Johnny5dime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Id be interested in the spreadsheet. I bought a Helix 7 last year and never used it yet. Looks complicated as crap.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2019, 09:31 AM »
See if you can get at this..... Here you go...  This is for Gen 3 Helix 7 GPS and the first tab includes a composite of all screens... Other tabs give more details about the settings that I've compiled from iceshanty.com, other websites, my experiences and Humminbird directly....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jDW-P-hqYwjOcmzP_vRyjuDkUC035Gkr/view?usp=sharing

Offline scottbreum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2019, 10:11 AM »
I bought a helix 7 last year, put it in ice fishing mode and don't look back, super simple to use and I love it.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Id be interested in the spreadsheet. I bought a Helix 7 last year and never used it yet. Looks complicated as crap.
It may look complicated but not really. Don’t know about the 7 but I found a YouTube by spiltmilt very helpful setting up my 5. Guessing the settings would be the same for a 7.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:25 AM »
See if you can get at this..... Here you go...  This is for Gen 3 Helix 7 GPS and the first tab includes a composite of all screens... Other tabs give more details about the settings that I've compiled from iceshanty.com, other websites, my experiences and Humminbird directly....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K-cSLRXXdeaWMwOx7irhr5xPKu9_83GT/view?usp=sharing

Id change a couple of those
clear mode for switch fire
noise filter off
max depth - manually set from the xpress menu
chirp ir off
rts window on
chart speed max or ultra whatever they call it on a g3

hit the ice, adjust max depth as needed including upper and lower range. Adjust gain. Turning off noise filter and ir will reduce any unintended behavior - it'll also ensure max response time. Adjusting max depth has a similar effect as adjusting the gain/sensitivity. Adjusting surface clutter has the same impact as noise filter - but you can incrementally adjust instead of large steps. A lot of these settings are related (for example chirp ir, noise filter, surface clutter are all filtering sonar return slop and max depth, sensistivity/gain are increasing ping power) so they have similar impacts in differing degrees of adjustments. Anytime you force the unit to reduce noise it will impact performance, whether slight or significant. Reducing cone angle on the xpress menu comes in handy when fishing deep or in cover. Make it wide for shallow water. Hope this helps!

Catchin' Fish

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:30 AM »
Wow need a freekin cheat sheet!  My LX-5 I turn the switch on.   ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:44 AM »
Id change a couple of those
clear mode for switch fire
noise filter off
max depth - manually set from the xpress menu
chirp ir off
rts window on
chart speed max or ultra whatever they call it on a g3

hit the ice, adjust max depth as needed including upper and lower range. Adjust gain. Turning off noise filter and ir will reduce any unintended behavior - it'll also ensure max response time. Adjusting max depth has a similar effect as adjusting the gain/sensitivity. Adjusting surface clutter has the same impact as noise filter - but you can incrementally adjust instead of large steps. A lot of these settings are related (for example chirp ir, noise filter, surface clutter are all filtering sonar return slop and max depth, sensistivity/gain are increasing ping power) so they have similar impacts in differing degrees of adjustments. Anytime you force the unit to reduce noise it will impact performance, whether slight or significant. Reducing cone angle on the xpress menu comes in handy when fishing deep or in cover. Make it wide for shallow water. Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:45 AM »
Wow need a freekin cheat sheet!  My LX-5 I turn the switch on.   ;D

I do it because I forget the settings over the summer!!  ;-)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2019, 11:46 AM »
I do it because I forget the settings over the summer!!  ;-)

I can see why-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Wow!!! Just got home from work and there’s a ton of replies to catch up on.  Yeah, I’d like to see that spreadsheet for sure!  If it takes a spreadsheet, it probably does a lot more than my LX7 ever dreamed of doing. I had an RT9 last year, so I’m sure the Helix 7 can’t be any worse than that to figure out.

This is gonna be fun!!!
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:44 PM »
Its easy to use and get used to, turn it on simulation and mess around with it until you get it down.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2019, 08:55 PM »
Its easy to use and get used to, turn it on simulation and mess around with it until you get it down.

Yeah the RT9 had the simulator also.  That helped a lot.  Got it set how I wanted it, then I was off and runnin.  I don’t expect this Helix to be difficult at all.

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:33 AM »
Referring the second post from the top, I believe SmartStrike, and Lakemaster, or 2 seperate things.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2019, 06:42 AM »
Referring the second post from the top, I believe SmartStrike, and Lakemaster, or 2 seperate things.
You are correct. I have had both and conflated the two.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:13 AM »
You are correct. I have had both and conflated the two.
Which do you prefer?

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2019, 08:28 AM »
I bought a Helix 7 for my boat last year after speaking with a fishing guide at the Wisconsin Fishing Expo who convinced me it was a good unit.  I was also concerned that it might prove to be a little more complicated to use than I expected it to be.  I started poking around on the web looking for Youtube videos and other info on using the unit.  I found a guy out of Madison, WI who puts on training seminars in IL, WI, and MN.

https://www.technologicalangler.com

From his website:  "These full-day, classroom-format workshops will provide detailed instruction covering Humminbird HELIX units. Learn how to set up the units, make adjustments on the fly, and troubleshoot problems as they arise. Sonar, Side and Down Imaging, GPS, Cartography, Waypoint management...all of these and much more are covered in our workshops. The events will include detail-packed seminars and extensive Q&A opportunities with your instructors to ensure that all of your questions are answered. $135 registration fees include a custom, detailed training manual to keep. Registration is limited at each event to ensure personal interactions with your instructors."

I took his one day class and found it to be pretty useful.  I learned far more about my Helix than I ever would have otherwise.  I don't work for the instructor.  I just thought I'd share the information.   
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.