Author Topic: Anyone help a new guy!  (Read 4844 times)

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone help a new guy!
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:36 PM »
Hey Guys! i have to say this is a great site! WOW

Well anyway, im kind of looking for some equipment from a good rod to baits that i need for gill fishing! Can anyone share your expert knowlegde to a novice !

Thanks

Rusty!

CEO

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone help a new guy!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:42 PM »
Welcome to the site. ;D  I don't catch much but the advice i have is use the search feature on the top of the page, you can find anything.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:59 AM »
Thanks! I spent about 1 hours last night looking around!

Great site!

The only question i have is a good Gill rod? any suggestions!

CEO

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:09 AM »
The Best bet is to head out to a local tackle shop of BPS and skim thru their lite and ultra lite rods. Everyone here will have adifferent opinon on what constitutes a good panfish rod.. My favorite is the Marimish..here is a link that will take you to their site...if it 's finally up and running

www.marmish.ca

enjoy and welcome

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:15 PM »
Welcome fellow cheesehead.  By the way, where the heck is Collins?

Back to topic-

For rods, I'm partial to the Frabill line, and the panfish popper rods look pretty good for the price.  The Genz gold series rods also look good.  I'd definately go with a spring bobber no matter what rod you go with.  Go with med./light and light.  I'd also put a spinning reel on.  No matter how shallow you fish.  It's just easier and more fun, and hand lining 2# test is difficult for an expert, much less someone new to the sport.  Cheap reels are fine, but spend what you can afford.  Set the drag so the hook-set will pull an inch or two of drag and you'll get the majority of hook ups onto the hard side.

For jigs, Gander Mountain sells 1/16 oz. rocker style jigs in bulk.  3 for a buck.  Pick up 3 in each color and you'll have a decent start for 6 or 8 bucks.  If you want to get fancy, grab a couple packs of ants, ratsos, and finkos made by Custom Jigs and Spins. 

Add on a spool of Berkley's ice line in 2# test, a box of wax worms, a box of mousies, and a handful of sinkers and you're pretty much ready to go for less than $50 as long as you've already got some way to make a hole in the ice.

If you're really lucky, you'll hate it, and you'll only be out 50 bucks.  If not, you'll start drooling over $400 flashers, $300 underwater cameras, $500 ice augers, $300 shelters, and $6000 ATV's like the rest of us. 

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline ceo32312

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:35 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

Collins is located in Manitowoc County!
CEO

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2005, 11:01 PM »
Welcome to the site. I just picked up a couple Genz Stix from Gander Mountain last weekend. They are a rod and reel combo. I bought one for gills and one for perch. They were on sale. I beleive they were under $25 for each. The look like really good combo's, can't wait to try them out this weekend.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2005, 11:58 AM »
I'm kinda partial to any of the ice rods made by Berkly or Frabill.  Also, if you can throw down the money, invest in a Thorne Bros. rod.  They're amazing, but they run upwards of $50

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2005, 06:39 PM »
take a broken rod tip, "duck" tape it to a piece of broom handle. bend 2 nails, put in the handle to wind line on. if the water's too deep to yank em out the hole, handline 'em in. thats how i started.if you're lucky, you'll get skunked, and cold, and wisely discover anyone who would fish through a hole in the ice puts a whole new meaning to insanity. however if you catch a fish, or worse lose a fish, or just get a bite, then you will become addicted. then you'll want a better rod, a shanty that never is big enough, so you need another one, a fish finder, tip ups, a cooler for your food and beer, a sled to pull it, then you need more stuff to make your addiction more fun. then you'll end up like me, with more stuff than i can carry,  no one dumb enough to go with me to help, nuff money invested in equipment you have to catch fish, that you need a snowmobile to pull your equipment, you don't get enough ice to need a snowmobile, so you sell the farm and move to minnesota............. .....................t ake up playing poker on line...
 seriously you're in good company here. we all suffer from the same addiction.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2005, 01:52 PM »
rustygunner,  Welcome to this fantastic site, I'm new here as well and am still sifting through all the info....tons!

On the bluegill rod, if you get the chance check out St. Croix's line of ice rods.  Their Legend sure is nice and comes with a nifty well thought out spring bobber, also comes with a sharp price tag of $50 bucks (cheaper on ebay).  The only sound advice I can give you though is lay YOUR hands on as many different rods as you can-a great rod for me might not be so great for you.  You can learn all the diff. brands by sifting through the posts here at IS.

-Grizz

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:10 PM »
take a broken rod tip, "duck" tape it to a piece of broom handle. bend 2 nails, put in the handle to wind line on. if the water's too deep to yank em out the hole, handline 'em in. thats how i started.if you're lucky, you'll get skunked, and cold, and wisely discover anyone who would fish through a hole in the ice puts a whole new meaning to insanity. however if you catch a fish, or worse lose a fish, or just get a bite, then you will become addicted. then you'll want a better rod, a shanty that never is big enough, so you need another one, a fish finder, tip ups, a cooler for your food and beer, a sled to pull it, then you need more stuff to make your addiction more fun. then you'll end up like me, with more stuff than i can carry,  no one dumb enough to go with me to help, nuff money invested in equipment you have to catch fish, that you need a snowmobile to pull your equipment, you don't get enough ice to need a snowmobile, so you sell the farm and move to minnesota............. .....................t ake up playing poker on line...
 seriously you're in good company here. we all suffer from the same addiction.
I'm glad I'm not alone...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:28 PM »
fiesty,
         glad i've got someone with my point of view. wife thinks i' m crazy, and i was starting to think she was right.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2005, 06:38 PM »
Sometimes they just don't understand!!   ;D

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:50 PM »
New Guy,
  Save your money and buy a Schooley pole.  They come in a kit with jigs, line,
a spring bobber, a depth finder, and an icedipper.  Cheap but servicable.  Until you
find out if this sport turns you on why invest a bundle.  I've caught more gills with
a spool of 2# , a small bobber and a jig tipped with a grub than most people do
with a ton of expensive equipment.  Keep it simple.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2005, 08:03 PM »
That's what my dad uses most of the time, and he does just fine!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2008, 12:37 PM »
i like the south bend series of ice rods but my favorite is the south bend klondike, it has great action and bends a little differently than other rods to haul the big fish out :thumbsup:my first ice rod that i got is a silver eagle 24" ultra light action rod, caught plenty of fish on it including a 3 lb trout that almost didn't fit up the hole, my last rod is a south bend cold steel  24" ul with 4# test line and a spring bobber with two lite jigs, also, always have your rod tied to something that is too big for the hole, even if you are planning on holding th rod the whole time, eventually you are going to get up to take a leak, a big fish will take your bait and keep on going, it's happened. also, buy a lindy hook a loop for each of your rods they are terrific. and, electrical tape all your reels to your rods i have lost fish because my reel came off my rod. don't take my advice for granted, i am an expert on panfish hence the name (the number is the average of how many fish i catch per ten minutes)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.