The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Messalonskee  (Read 737 times)

Offline Skimmah78

• IceShanty Rookie
Messalonskee
« on: Feb 13, 2024, 08:14 AM »
Anyone heard any ice reports on Messalonskee?

Offline Skimmah78

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Messalonskee
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2024, 08:15 AM »
I am using a computer here...the phone was a little too small or I am getting old! (Geez)
For anyone going to the Messalonski derby, there is a wide pressure ridge off the Sidney boat launch. It runs across the entire lake and I have been told it is about 10'ft wide. I just wanted to pass this on and I hope everyone has a safe and successful fishing weekend!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2024, 08:40 AM »
North end wide open also in the area known locally as the narrows.  South facing shores opening up.  Of course the south end is never good because of Belgrade Stream.  The dam being open all winter has wreaked havoc with what little ice there is.  I get such a kick when people says they found 10" of ice and they think that makes everything the same.  Top three most dangerous lakes in Maine and a bunch of people coming that have no idea what they are getting into.  I surely wouldn't want to be running this derby I can tell you that!
Please please be safe everyone, statewide, ponds opening up everywhere.  :tipup:

Offline Skimmah78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2024, 09:40 AM »
Your absolutely correct. One report that came to me said exactly what you menchioned...10" everywhere. I would never broadcast that for these lakes. Please stay safe everyone, this is not a lake to go bombing around on.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2024, 01:22 PM »
North end wide open also in the area known locally as the narrows.  South facing shores opening up.  Of course the south end is never good because of Belgrade Stream.  The dam being open all winter has wreaked havoc with what little ice there is.  I get such a kick when people says they found 10" of ice and they think that makes everything the same.  Top three most dangerous lakes in Maine and a bunch of people coming that have no idea what they are getting into.  I surely wouldn't want to be running this derby I can tell you that!
Please please be safe everyone, statewide, ponds opening up everywhere.  :tipup:
Well said and the worst advice I've ever seen is this Facebook page called " Maine Ice Thickness".  Bunch of young clueless idiots punch holes near shore and then advertise that as "good to go for the entire lake" which is bullcrap.  Fished Flying Pond over deeper water two weeks ago with 10" of ice, next day fished Long Pond in Mt Vernon near shore and there was only 5" of ice.  Central Maine Lakes have very inconsistent and sketchy Ice that is not safe in many areas!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.