The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: State laws are giving me a reason to Quit fishing  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: State laws are giving me a reason to Quit fishing
« Reply #30 on: Feb 03, 2024, 04:46 PM »
We’re bout as far north as the stripers get. You’re part of the reason why there’s no fish left.
I've caught stripers in Nova Scotia, PEI and Northern New Brunswick... You're far out out, man... hehe Beyond Alice and the Looking Glass
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #31 on: Feb 03, 2024, 04:55 PM »
I've caught stripers in Nova Scotia, PEI and Northern New Brunswick... You're far out out, man... hehe Beyond Alice and the Looking Glass
My point was we’re towards the end of the stripers migration north. We’re left with the scraps from the southern states.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 03, 2024, 05:07 PM »
My point was we’re towards the end of the stripers migration north. We’re left with the scraps from the southern states.

Sounds like you need to move south then and quit crying on the Internet
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #33 on: Feb 03, 2024, 05:38 PM »

Sounds like you need to move south then and quit crying on the Internet
Sounds like you need to read up on the issue and get a clue as to why striped bass are near extinction. Keep fishing your party boats with your frat bros and you’ll be the first one crying on the internet when there’s no more stripers in 10 years.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #34 on: Feb 03, 2024, 05:40 PM »
It's been, in the past, stripers up this far were sporadic at best, meaning above mid coast and into Downeast. As waters warm due to human activity, we will see more consistent striper presence. Also, tautog, black sea bass, quahogs, and other species are moving their range further north while species once common here are less, for several reasons, including over fishing, climate change, predators moving into areas there hadn't been before boosted by warner waters, warmer winters and lack of predators on them. As far as stripers, specifically, recreational fisheries are looking like the most detrimental to their population and survival. I've watched guys "release" bleeding fish. Some with very careless unhooking... I'm not sure I grasp this fire hydrant contest you two are having.. whatever.... Seems like a "Yes, Dear" thing... 
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 03, 2024, 07:56 PM »
 badbrad2186__ Stripers have a few restriction on them in Maine,But if you go south they have a lot less restrictions and people are able to catch smaller ones to eat. these are the same fish that migrate to our waters,  State just do not work together  on fish like that, all the Rainbows that were stocked in New hampshire years ago in 8 to 10lb class they were doing very well we could go out in the 60 ties and 70es we could catch several in a day in Casco bay  but fishermen were purse seining bait  inside islands and catching many large Rainbows along with pogies and herring   

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 03, 2024, 08:02 PM »

You sir seem like your just trying to stir the pot. Or just be an Ahole. Not sure which but you are very confrontational. Either way why would anyone want/ need to limit out so many days in a row?

Nope not trying to stir the pot pointing out guys following the law arent the problem. I fish to eat and only have limited time to fish mostly in the winter..I have 4 kids to feed when I limited out 88 days in a row winter of 2020 by fall when deer season started all those fish were gone
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2024, 04:57 AM »
Nope not trying to stir the pot pointing out guys following the law are the problem. I fish to eat and only have limited time to fish mostly in the winter..I have 4 kids to feed when I limited out 88 days in a row winter of 2020 by fall when deer season started all those fish were gone
Just curious... I may have missed this point, but, .... What species are you "limiting out" on and what's the limit? I know some lake in NY have limits on crappie, yellow perch, bluegill, sunfish and others along with length limits.... Yeah and the "gamefish" species, of course.... thanks! Yes, I knew a couple families back there that essentially lived of what they caught, hunted and gathered. My family and a couple others close to us had a large % of our food that way. Some to a lot was canned, pickled or dried.  Even now, a lot of what I gather is a large portion of my culinary delight!!!   

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 04, 2024, 09:28 AM »
Just don’t fish any s33 waters. It’s not a state wide rule, special regulations per body of water. as with anywhere you fish in Maine, gotta check the S codes for that specific body of water.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #39 on: Feb 04, 2024, 12:42 PM »
Just don’t fish any s33 waters. It’s not a state wide rule, special regulations per body of water. as with anywhere you fish in Maine, gotta check the S codes for that specific body of water.
Finally some common sense

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 04, 2024, 05:44 PM »
When trapping bait in tidal waters in Portland ive caught small stripers in my trap 2" long  and releasted them in local tidal brook

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Feb 05, 2024, 01:21 PM »
Sounds like you need to read up on the issue and get a clue as to why striped bass are near extinction. Keep fishing your party boats with your frat bros and you’ll be the first one crying on the internet when there’s no more stripers in 10 years.

That isnt the reason at all and you have some studying to do....  Rec fishermen and party boats arent even close to the reason.   Ever see 30 miles of dead bass bycatch from fluke draggers required to toss them?  The quota for commercials is still high relative to the yoy indexes and ive been to the ASMFC meetings where there is 0 rec fishermen representation while the commercial guys lobny against the rec fishery...and win.  (Which is why we can only keep one while the commecial quota stays fat)  I lobbied for a while to support those stripers before giving up.  The commercials have the money and time to lobby and win legislation changes in their favor.  Always thought it was funny how the meetings are mid-week, middle of the day...

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #42 on: Feb 05, 2024, 04:25 PM »
New  law they will be making ,when your fishing and you have a hook on your line youll be subject to fine if caught.
HAHAHA OK! Bottom line IS...Quit fishing!!! More fish for us!!!  ;D :woot: :icefish:

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 05, 2024, 05:08 PM »
U ain’t gonna catch a brown that big anyway. No sense in worrying bout it.
I                       I've seen 2 he caught that were that big from The Royal River back in the 60s.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #44 on: Feb 05, 2024, 06:56 PM »
Yeah, Maybe when you're in assisted living and think you're on Sebago catching whitefish.... Maybe you'll have one of those kiddy poles with a magnet and rubber fish!!! In Summer they might give you a little swimming pool to wade in too!!! MAYBE even a widdle boat too and some widdle duckies! hehehe   ::) :woot: :icefish:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 05, 2024, 08:35 PM »
Wait til you get older

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2024, 05:20 AM »
Wait til you get older
HAHA! I'm right behind ya!!! 65...

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2024, 06:33 AM »
Right behind ya  ?????im 86

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 06, 2024, 06:38 AM »

Well 65 ain't no damn spring chicken so yeah he's right behind ya

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2024, 06:45 AM »
All the Eelvas the state let Comerical fishermen take out of maine waters for close to 50 years and now a guy with a rod and reel is fined if he catches an eel and dont throw it back, This really shows how screwed up the state is!!!! It sure is time to make some changes !!!!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2024, 07:31 AM »
At some point, I'll catch up!!! hehe  :woot: ;D :icefish:

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2024, 02:11 PM »

Wood chip is so old he invented the fishing rod😁 :tipup:  most people will be lucky to be as old as you woodchip. Nevermind being able to still get around and ice fish. I hope for many more good years for you!
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 06, 2024, 03:32 PM »
I have made some good jig rods out of broken Aluminun arrows for togue jigging one arrow with a 12" curved cross sticked and back 12" a straight cross stick  when it set on ice tip is up 3 to 4" above jig hole  .Line is wrapped from one cross stick  to other, when un winding line just turn rod and each turn a foot falls off so its easy to count depth, or just watch Flasher, if you get a hit they drag jig rod across ice and the sound is loud and 12" cross stick keeps it from going down hole, They are light and sensitive on but end i tape a cork handle,

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2024, 04:44 PM »
   Hes not 86 til May.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2024, 04:51 PM »
I have been around today 86 times Not 360 days until May 14 Now all readers know when to send me a birthday gift  ( hot jig)

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2024, 05:27 PM »
At 86 I doubt fishing laws will be a big concern for me.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 06, 2024, 06:48 PM »
If fish and game continue as they are , they be no more fish! Letting all the Phousforus  run into water ways  and allowing people to seine all the basic feed for migratory fish Eelvas! than punish and blame rod and reels.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 07, 2024, 06:14 AM »
You probably smoke crack if you think people following the regulations set are hurting the fish population. I ice fished 52 days straight same exact spot winter of 2020 limited out everyday then fished another 36 days open water also limiting out everyday and guess what fishing is still just as hot 4 years later

Deerp a deerp

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Feb 13, 2024, 02:46 PM »
Acid fall out and heavy cutting without burning brush puts more Phouforus into lakes ponds rivers and streams all this acid water goes into OCEAN and the sentive fish especialy when spawning are  effectived  Most   LOW P H.   and no one wants to believe it!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.