Author Topic: Lake George Salmon  (Read 10628 times)

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
Lake George Salmon
« on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:24 PM »
I am sitting back having a couple of beers in my dorm room anticipating fishing the King on Saturday, probably my final ice fishing trip of the season and was wondering what everyones opinion is on the salmon situation in Lake George right now and what everyone thinks is wrong about it, and what should be done. Personally, I think there is a buttload of Lake Trout(good thing) in the lake, and when they stock salmon they just get eaten by trout and pike. I personally would like to see increased lake trout take but a slot limit, what I think would be good is 3 Lakers between 20-25 inches a day, and one laker over 30" a month if they could enforce that some how, that would be the tits I think. But for the salmon I think it would be good if they raised it to 21 inches and kept same bag limit, but also if they are trying to bring back the salmon fishing a 5 year period with no salmon harvest might be good for the lake,  but that would be controversial but I think it would be for the best. My 2 Cents.

~AdkIceman~

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Lake George Salmon
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:35 PM »
Well, I think you're right on the salmon getting eaten by the lakers. I think they should stock fewer in there, but stock them at 8-10 inches. Maybe 12,000 a year instead of 34,000. What do you think about the cost there, Lance? Too high?
After some consultation, ;) I have come to the conclusion that the limit should be 4 lakers between 20-24" and one over 24". There's no way to enfore a monthly limit, that just wouldn't stand. They should make the limit for salmon to be 2 over 21" in my opinion.

Good topic!

-Wes

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2005, 05:52 AM »
They should stock larger salmon. My brother and I were lucky we both caught a salmon this year for the first time. It seems as if more people caught salmon on the king this year. Hopefully they are making a come back. :)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2005, 06:39 PM »
congradulations on your catch AdkRoy i think your right, the larger salmon would definately have a better chance of survival over the lakers and pike. But the salmon still fishing is still poor as of now for me and everyone else I think would agree, I will stick to Schroon and some smaller Adirondack Lakes when targeting them so I dont get frustrated trying to catch one at the King until the situation improves.

~AdkIceman~
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Well the summer fishing season is winding down... did anyone have any salmon luck on the king?
Whats the outlook for the ice season this year? Have DEC biologist found anything out about the decline?

I have never caught a salmon through the ice and it is on my list of things to accomplish this year... should the king be my destination or should I look elsewhere?

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2005, 11:03 AM »
we got 4 last year  :tipup: :)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2005, 07:12 PM »
Here's a 22"salmon I caught last year on the King.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2005, 08:12 AM »
beauty salmon adkroy :)
how FOW did you nail that in? looks like you were pretty close to shore???

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2005, 10:36 AM »
Thanks guys.

I hooked him in 25 FOW about 100 yards from shore. He did put up a great fight. I never saw line come off of a tip up reel so fast.

Offline mikeyc0203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ayooooooo
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2005, 09:50 PM »
thats a great lookin salmon u got there...nice catch  ;D

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2005, 11:05 PM »
here in co we have two places w/ decent populations of kokanee salmon and lakers. Granby and blue mesa. To keep the population of kokes up, our biologists have suggested (and put in limits) to keep high numbers of big lakers. They encourage the harvest of big lakers. It seems to be working a bit for the kokes, of course at the great demise of big lakers. Maybe your biologists could do the same with lake george so the salmon can come back? I know the environments and situations are extremely different but maybe you should bring that up to them.
just a thought
 :)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:53 AM »
here in co we have two places w/ decent populations of kokanee salmon and lakers. Granby and blue mesa. To keep the population of kokes up, our biologists have suggested (and put in limits) to keep high numbers of big lakers. They encourage the harvest of big lakers. It seems to be working a bit for the kokes, of course at the great demise of big lakers. Maybe your biologists could do the same with lake george so the salmon can come back? I know the environments and situations are extremely different but maybe you should bring that up to them.
just a thought
 :)

It has nothing to do with lake trout in our state, kokanee salmon are just very cyclic. Last year was the record low for runs and egg harvests. This year it's almost a record high. The population of lake trout from last year to this year is pretty much the same.
Mostly salmon just need to be protected too. Too many lake trout can harm the population, but keeping the small ones is the answers. Big lake trout need to be protected.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

camo_fish

« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:26 AM »
Last year was the record low for runs and egg harvests. This year it's almost a record high. The population of lake trout from last year to this year is pretty much the same.
Mostly salmon just need to be protected too. Too many lake trout can harm the population, but keeping the small ones is the answers. Big lake trout need to be protected.
this tropic is for Salmon, not lake trout, there my friend  ::) so you have a bad year then good year but the population of the lake trout have nothing to do with it you say and that big lake trout need to be let go and the smalls for eatting. That has nothing to do with Salmon,  ::) yea something like that.  :roflmao:
Also, this topic is for Lake George Salmon  :-\ I think, oh yea that is the topic header.  :P So it has nothing to do with your mid-western messed up lakes.  :P stay on topic plz.  ;)  just busting b@lls  ;D

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2005, 10:36 PM »
camo haha anyways we are talking about the land locked atlantic salmon here that can reach sized of up to 36" they mainly need to be protected at  sizes up to 10-15"s  dont quote me on this but i believe it costs the state about 1 dollar and inch to raise fish. Mainly because of higher pay benifits and all that where  a private raiser can do them a little bit cheaper.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

camo_fish

« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2005, 11:37 PM »
camo haha anyways we are talking about the land locked atlantic salmon here that can reach sized of up to 36" they mainly need to be protected at  sizes up to 10-15"s  dont quote me on this but i believe it costs the state about 1 dollar and inch to raise fish. Mainly because of higher pay benifits and all that where  a private raiser can do them a little bit cheaper.
i agree, I also wish I could catch on of these LG LL salmon.  ;D

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2006, 06:11 PM »
  Last year did seem better for salmon.A buddy fishing with me caught 4
salmon on same tip up in one day.A nice 24 incher was the best.I also know
one of the guys that did some stocking and he said that while dumping in salmon
the lakers were chowing them down...

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor