Author Topic: Camera Panning  (Read 1809 times)

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
Camera Panning
« on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Have seen the Marcum camera panning system that looks pretty cool, but reviews sound like it might not be the most durable and I was wondering if anyone has experience with one of them or has any DIY ideas that work well.  I used a 2x4 with hole and put a cork in it last year, but it was heavy and didn't work very well...  What do you use to position your cameras underwater?  I'd like to get something that made it so the camera would be a useful tool, but not a full time endeavor... Seems like if I get the camera out I spend full time watching or messing with it and I don't get my fishing in like I'd like... but it's fun to see the fish and learn from them too, just don't want it to take all my time and find me rotating the camera when the big fish swims by and I can't jig my pole to try and catch it... Not saying whether that happened or not, but might be the reason I'm looking for something better this year... Thanks in advance for your help... Later J

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Camera Panning
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:38 AM »
We've been using the Aqua-Vu Mo-Pod for a few years.  I really like it.

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Thanks Steve, I'll check into that one.... see if I can learn more about it... J

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2017, 11:36 AM »
i have the wired marcum panner (49$, free with lx7 to lx9 upgrade at the time) and it works like it supposed to.  after getting it ready for use, it seemed like the tiny screws and placement were not well thought out for the battery cover. that all faces down and sits in snow and ice. if they had used stainless screws, it would have helped.

it folds to become a small foot print when not in use and seems slower to turn after the battery compartment sits on ice/snow. so the mo-pod sounds better designed altho i read how the hook snaps off that holds the cable. so pros and cons for both.
http://www.rapala.com/marcum-fish-finders/

if i had to replace mine, i would check out the mo-pod next.

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Thanks for that tip...  After a little research it does sound like the mo-pod may work pretty well... I seen one post about a DIY using a bucket and a Styrofoam ball and doing the manual positioning... Sounded a little too much like my 2x4 and cork deal so I'm not sure I'd trust that... When I moved the 2x4 it would always overcompensate and go too far too fast and was very hard to aim where I wanted... For those that have the mo-pod does it move slowly so you can point it where you want easily? Thanks J

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2017, 12:05 PM »
For those that have the mo-pod does it move slowly so you can point it where you want easily? Thanks J

Yeah, it does pretty well.  The speed is about right for me--fast enough to pan if something swims by, but slow enough to aim it easily.

Sometimes I get carried away trying to get my jig centered in the picture, but it's always easy to get back to seeing my jig.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2017, 01:15 PM »
Sounds good, thanks for the info from someone with hands on... Lot better to hear from a user rather than a salesman... Thanks J

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2017, 01:25 PM »
I have the AquaVu mopod and the AquaVu Ice Pod which is manual. I use the Ice Pod along with a rubber ball with a slit in it for my AquaVu micro camera. It takes up little space in my rod locker and the cost is around $15. I use the MoPod with my Marcum 625 because it is motorized. It is about 15 years old now and still working great.  I got a  Marcum motorized panner free with my LX5 and it is still in the box so I can't give an opinion about it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2017, 03:13 PM »
I have the wireless Marcum panner.  Love it.  Works with any camera and I have no complaints.  This will be my 3rd season with it this year.  Rechargeable and seems more "heavy duty" than the mo-pod units.  Those always seemed a little too "delicate" to me. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2017, 04:16 PM »
Thanks you two, I think I need to run to Cabela's and take a look at them and see what I think when I can feel and touch them... Appreciate all of your tips and advice... J

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2017, 11:37 AM »
The Cabelas in Farmington had one of the marcum panning units with the remote in their bargain cave last week. I don't remember the price, but I believe it had a blue clearance tag on it so it would be 50% off the existing sale price.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:50 PM »
I have the marcum panner and have been unimpressed so far. The cable for the camera wraps around a knob and a little plastic piece moves over the cord, it doesn't really seem to hold the cord very well, maybe with some kind of mod it would work, I just think things should work out of the box. The remote is nice and seems to work well. I have no experience with the mo-pod, but am thinking of giving it a try. Best of luck.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:06 PM »
I have the marcum panner and have been unimpressed so far. The cable for the camera wraps around a knob and a little plastic piece moves over the cord, it doesn't really seem to hold the cord very well, maybe with some kind of mod it would work, I just think things should work out of the box. The remote is nice and seems to work well. I have no experience with the mo-pod, but am thinking of giving it a try. Best of luck.
What camera are you using? Mine works fine with a Marcum  camera.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:08 PM »
The Cabelas in Farmington had one of the marcum panning units with the remote in their bargain cave last week. I don't remember the price, but I believe it had a blue clearance tag on it so it would be 50% off the existing sale price.
I saw it last month they wanted around $59. If it is still there, it may have gone down from there, who knows.

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 04, 2017, 09:14 AM »
Mine is also the marcum camera, sometimes the cord seems to slip and turn under the piece that holds the cord in place. It isn't bad, but I guess I just hoped for a bit more rigid and secure attachment to the panner.

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 04, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Hey BFTSkunked, I noticed you are in Cache Valley, I am in Wellsville if you want to try out my Marcum panner before you buy you are welcome to meet up with me to give it a try, just shoot me a pm.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 04, 2017, 11:43 AM »
Update on the Marcum panning unit in the bargain cave at the Farmington Cabelas.It does have the blue tag on it so the price is $27.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline IceFishinTy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2017, 01:03 PM »
I would say at $27 it is definitely worth the money, at $79, not so sure, imho.

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2017, 10:08 AM »
Sorry guys been off line for the weekend... Sounds like a deal there in the cave... I've been trying my new Ghost reel from the boat over the weekend... It worked pretty well, I really liked it... Even caught a few fish as I was freezzzing to death... Man I think it's sooo much colder when it's wet and windy than after things freeze up and turn to ice fishing...  Then again I wasn't smart enough to take my gloves so that might have been part of the problem.. Thanks all for your help with this, Prospector is helping me out with this and I'm looking forward to trying it out... J

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.