The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New season new gear.  (Read 3521 times)

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
New season new gear.
« on: Sep 20, 2018, 07:25 AM »
Late last year I got a deal on a Shappell Fx200, only got to use it a handful of times but love it compared to my Eskimo hub. I'm to mobile to set up and tear town a hub constantly. This year saw the deal at Sportmans Guide, and jumped on it, the Fx100I should be here today. Ordering a Li battery here in the next few weeks. Also talked the wife into a compromise if I sell some tools or spare fishing gear (I have stupid amounts of both) I can order a new rod. Thinking the TUCR precision noodle.
 What are you guys and gals upgrading this season?

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: New season new gear.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2018, 08:09 AM »
I'll be picking up the Otter XTH lodge this year, I'm going to get into camping on the ice and I think that'll be a nice set up with a foam padded floor. Should really open up some remote fishing opportunities this season. Been debating on selling my 2 man flip over to a 1 man, but I only used the shack a handful of times so I probably won't even bother.
I started a tradition 2 years ago of getting a new custom rod from a different company each year, haven't decided which one I'm going with this year yet though, possibly Elk River.
Going to upgrade my MKE 5ah battery to either a 9ah or 12ah, hoping to get a deal on the 12ah before the season is too far along and I really need it.
Jigs of course, I love walking around the St Paul ice show and picking up a few that catch my eye.
That's all for now, I'm sure there will be some more additions throughout the season like every other year lol.
Da Pack!

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2018, 02:22 AM »
I picked up an Eskimo Quickflip 1 about a month ago from Amazon. I've been working on doing some things to it such as lights and a few other upgrades to make it better. I really like the light weight and what is basically a blank canvas to turn into whatever you want it to be. I'll finish it up once I get all my gear out and get ready for the season, don't want to start getting ready too early  ;) Next thing on my list is possibly purchasing an ION auger with my brother at some point this year when the price is right, for now the drill powered auger will have to do like it has the past few seasons. I didn't want to blow a bunch of money until I made sure I liked ice fishing.  I've got the bug bad so I'm thinking its time to upgrade! Here's to hoping for a long season  :tipup:

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2018, 04:51 AM »
The TUCR Precision Noodle is a great rod. You’ll like it. I have 2...and a Bullwhip.

The only thing I plan on getting this season is some more size 3 rippin raps, some more Fiskas tungsten jigs to add to the collection (I only have around 60) and a strikemaster wingbolt. My son turns 7 today and this will be his first year ice fishing with me so I’m sure I’ll probably end up getting some more stuff for him to call his own.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2018, 04:34 AM »
I'm GUNNA order a new vexilar battery for my Fl18.
Also thinking of buying a bigger 1 man flip over.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2018, 05:54 AM »
I'm GUNNA order a new vexilar battery for my Fl18.
Also thinking of buying a bigger 1 man flip over.

Get a Dakota Lithium 10aH! :)

Offline supervdl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2018, 06:33 AM »
I am thinking about some new boots for the ice season. I have been using my old snowboarding boots for years. They work but not great. Any suggestions for boots?

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2018, 08:32 AM »
I need to get a new SPUD. I 'donated" one to somebody last year.  ::)
Where's the FISH?!

CowDawg

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Last post season I picked up a nice Otter Xt Hideout on sale.

Offline Rockfish24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2018, 09:12 PM »
I bought a Polaris Titan in the spring which I pickup in October and a Rhino Monster Box for the rear of it that came in the mail.  Purchased her an FXR float suit.  Also picked up a pair of Muk Arctic Ice boots and some misc tackle and line.

I'd like to purchase a custom rod for lake trout but I have never bought a rod without seeing it in person first so I'm a bit hesitant. 

Offline GreenFinnyBlinny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2018, 12:11 PM »
if any one has a ice shanty big enough to put a cot in that the want to sell, I am interested.

I am looking for something to do some winter camping in.

I figure an ice shanty would be warmer than a tent and I'm tired of sleeping in the back of my truck.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2018, 02:48 PM »
I am thinking about some new boots for the ice season. I have been using my old snowboarding boots for years. They work but not great. Any suggestions for boots?

I was in your boots last year.  My 3 year old Muck Artic Pro's cracked.  I loved the comfort/support of the Pro's however I wanted something that would last longer and be a little warmer.  I tried on lots of boots at BPS and I liked the feel of the Pro's the best however having them only last 3 years gave me pause.  I bought a pair of Baffins Titans for $149 from Vermont Gear.  The titans are super warm (rating -145 F) however they do not have the support that the Pro's have.  I wore the Titans in my treestand and I will be wearing them again next year.  After wearing the Titans hunting I knew that I was going to miss the support that the Pros provided.  I bought another pair of Pro's ($138 amazon)  and will wear them except on days when I am going to be in colder, less active situations.  That's my story, my suggestion is to go some place or places where you can try a bunch of boots before you buy.  The other thing to remember is there is no one boot that will work for all situations. 

Good luck

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 03, 2018, 03:35 PM »
I use 9416 i insulated for camping for walleye we put two cots in there and still room to fish. I spayed mine with starbrite to make it water proof. Can sit in a puddle of water and not absorb any
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2018, 04:52 PM »
Picked up a clam drill plate for the Milwaukee/Kdrill, not because it was too hard too handle, but I had read a lot of reports of problems with support handles. A bunch of Fiska’s jigs, some Custom jigs spoons, a new clam dead meat stick 36”. A striker preditor jacket and actually located a new frabill FXE snosuit jacket. I know I have issues but I’m ok with it.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 15, 2018, 02:10 PM »

I got these last year and was really impressed! Was skeptical about how warm they were since I used an 1800 gr pac boot for years. Was really surprised how much I liked them. And nice to just pull on and off instead of lacing. I swear these are as warm as my old 1800 gr boots. And I got a great deal- they were on clearance for $32! Even at full price they are WELL worth the $69!  @)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/itasca-mens-swampwalker-1000g-rubber-boot
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 15, 2018, 02:21 PM »
Picked up a clam drill plate for the Milwaukee/Kdrill, not because it was too hard too handle, but I had read a lot of reports of problems with support handles. A bunch of Fiska’s jigs, some Custom jigs spoons, a new clam dead meat stick 36”. A striker preditor jacket and actually located a new frabill FXE snosuit jacket. I know I have issues but I’m ok with it.

LOL!  ;D

Thanks Icehound, now when the wife complains about me buying a new spudbar and some gloves, I’ll show her your post!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2018, 11:04 AM »
Last year I treated myself to the Eskimo float suit....just feel a little more secure in my old age. Didn't actually get a chance to use it very much because of the crummy ice situation but it seems OK. Just a couple of days ago I bit the bullet and ordered one of the new Strikemaster 40 volt electric augers. I just got tired of pulling the starter cord on my gas drill. Watched a bunch of videos on YouTube to help decide which on to buy.....hopefully it works as well as what I saw online.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 16, 2018, 07:22 PM »
That’s ok Rutt, I was with you when you lost your spud bar. Tell her it was my fault. I’ll take one for the team.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 16, 2018, 07:34 PM »
if any one has a ice shanty big enough to put a cot in that the want to sell, I am interested.

I am looking for something to do some winter camping in.

I figure an ice shanty would be warmer than a tent and I'm tired of sleeping in the back of my truck.

If you were closer to Wisconsin, I could hook you up....

Offline beast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2018, 07:49 PM »
It will be a new locator for me, My brother had a medical emergency when I was fishing and my fx20 got left on the ice, I turned around to get it but someone got to it before I did. put up flyers and a add in the local papers but no one responded.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:38 AM »
If you were closer to Wisconsin, I could hook you up....

What do you have? I was planning on purchasing an otter hub for the same reason...
Da Pack!

Offline treesparrow1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2018, 07:08 AM »
I have accumulated a two man clam flip over, a one man clam flip over, shapell flip up windbreak, a little frabill scooter like sled that carries a bucked and gear and has rigging for windbreak. I only have about 25 ice rods of all kinds and a mountain of lures and jigs. I have been ice fishing for close to 60 years if I get any more serious about it  look out.

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2018, 07:10 PM »
I’ve seen some good reviews on the mini nero hand auger and am gonna pick one up to try this year.

Offline Black Jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:43 PM »
I’ve seen some good reviews on the mini nero hand auger and am gonna pick one up to try this year.
I got the Nero last year......the only size available was the 5", didn't get the power adapter. I used it a couple of time on about 7 inches or so of ice. It cut extrememly well, no downward pressure required as advertised. Plan to use it when I want to go out very light. I see it is available in other sizes this year.

Offline P.Smith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2018, 12:59 AM »
Got the wife and kid new Striker Predators  . Bought a fat fish 9416i and hopefully start camping on the ice some . Upgraded my auger to a Nils 8" convertible.  Rebuilt my Smitty sleds with new Skis ............. And current waiting for some dang ice lol
Why do things today that can be put off till tomorrow, or next week???? Let's go Ice-fishing!!!!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 19, 2018, 08:40 AM »
That’s ok Rutt, I was with you when you lost your spud bar. Tell her it was my fault. I’ll take one for the team.

LOL! Thanks Icehound!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2018, 11:06 AM »
I got the Nero last year......the only size available was the 5", didn't get the power adapter. I used it a couple of time on about 7 inches or so of ice. It cut extrememly well, no downward pressure required as advertised. Plan to use it when I want to go out very light. I see it is available in other sizes this year.

That’s good to hear, thanks. Once they are in stock I am planning on ordering the 7” with the adapter kit for my drill.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 20, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I picked up a Marcum Recon 5+ in the off season. I plan on using it for scouting. Like weedlines, transitions and other structure. Plus it will be nice to see what kind of fish are on those spots.

I also bought a Helix 7 for the boat that I'm going to convert for ice fishing. Glad I'll get year round use out of it, and have my GPS coordinates as well.
Lol. I didn't realize this was a PA thread.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 21, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Jchunter , we still like to hear about new gear , no matter where you are from .
I picked up a Helix 9 si Mega Imaging for my new pontoon boat , but never thought about rigging it up for ice fishing . Heck , I'd have to get a bigger auger just to get the transducer into the fishing hole ! LOL !
Anyway , I took the advice of some members here and picked up a ice fishing suit off the clearance rack at Cabela's last spring . Saved over $175.00 off the regular price !

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 21, 2018, 08:53 AM »
For new gear, I’ve already picked up the panoptix ice package (last years model), ugly stik dock runner rod to use for lake trout, a okuma reel for the lake trout rod, and reel lube and grease that is appropriate for cold weather. Now I still need to go and get some bigger jig heads and plastics to go after the lake trout with, and prob a 8” mora auger... I’m currently using a 7” lazer on my plate setup.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.