The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: I thought I was done...  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I thought I was done...
« on: Mar 20, 2018, 04:37 PM »
I figured after this snow I was done. Plenty of ice but some sketchy spots hidden by the new snow. Couldn’t help myself so headed out for a short trip with fishin/fishoff (the older members know who I’m talking about). Slow but for 2 hours of fishing he got a decent Brown and I got one crappy and one yellow. Great day on the ice even if only for a couple hours!

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: I thought I was done...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2018, 04:48 PM »
Way to go. I would like to get up to the Station but doesn't look promising with the walking the way it is.

Offline Shrinkage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Fish Therefore I Am
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2018, 05:19 PM »
You losing weight?  ;D
May God bless and keep you always, may your wishes all come true.
May you always do for others and let others do for you.
May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung,
May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.
May you have a strong foundation when the winds of changes shift.
May your heart always be joyful, may your songs always be sung.
May you stay forever young.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2018, 06:25 PM »
How do u like that auger?

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2018, 06:37 PM »
How do u like that auger?

I really like it. It’s one of the first battery augers. It will drill about 30-40’ of ice on a good day. It comes with jumper cables so you can run it off a wheeler or a backup battery. The most I’ve tried with the tractor battery backup is 100 holes in 2’ of ice.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2018, 10:50 PM »
You losing weight?  ;D
Looks like a current wax job too haha.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2018, 04:53 AM »
  A sign of spring, the shirtless Sawyerjosh.  Nice fish.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2018, 05:29 AM »
I really like it. It’s one of the first battery augers. It will drill about 30-40’ of ice on a good day. It comes with jumper cables so you can run it off a wheeler or a backup battery. The most I’ve tried with the tractor battery backup is 100 holes in 2’ of ice.
how does it cut? I have the 10” ion and I’m not super impressed with it.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2018, 06:13 AM »
how does it cut? I have the 10” ion and I’m not super impressed with it.

Why don't you like your ION?   I have one, Love it,  now that I have the updated bit for it,   the first 10 in didn't work as well.   I contacted ION and they mailed me the updated auger.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:04 AM »
I up graded to a 10" hole and wish I had stayed with a 7 or eight.  Bigger the hole the shorter the battery life

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:12 AM »
I up graded to a 10" hole and wish I had stayed with a 7 or eight.  Bigger the hole the shorter the battery life

Ya I agree but I never drill more than 30 holes in one outing .   I can get 80 with the 8 inch. 3 feet of ice.

Offline zhaaksdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2018, 11:55 AM »
The ion augers are interchangeable with the powerhead, no need to wish, just put the 8 back on. I only use 10" when I expect to see a trophy, which isn't very often...
I bought mine the first year they arrived and have never looked back, have drilled thousands of holes and finally chowdered a battery this year.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Hey Josh, you should have tried the late bite into darkness. I see you stayed in that cove, surprised you didn't go across to the other spots.

I'm surprised Lloyd was out there, last time I saw him at the derby he had a cane. ;D ;D ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Why don't you like your ION?   I have one, Love it,  now that I have the updated bit for it,   the first 10 in didn't work as well.   I contacted ION and they mailed me the updated auger.
I loved the 8” I had the past 2 years. Absolutely effortless to use. The 10” is just harder to drill holes with. Lots of downward pressure needed to cut a hole.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2018, 06:17 AM »
I loved the 8” I had the past 2 years. Absolutely effortless to use. The 10” is just harder to drill holes with. Lots of downward pressure needed to cut a hole.

something wrong,  my 10 inch is awesome never have to put pressure on it,  I bet you don't have the updated auger,  they made changes,  contact ION they will send you the upgraded 10 in auger.   

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:27 AM »
something wrong,  my 10 inch is awesome never have to put pressure on it,  I bet you don't have the updated auger,  they made changes,  contact ION they will send you the upgraded 10 in auger.   Hmmm. I bought it earlier this year.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:39 AM »
No personal experience with the ion, but It could be new but from old stock. maybe get the blades sharpened and give it another go. Also, As with all augers, if someone banged the blades on the ice they could of messed them up.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:43 AM »
My ion cuts but once it gets maybe 6” or more down into the ice it needs downward pressure for it to cut. Otherwise it just spins.

Offline IceMan100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2018, 09:45 AM »
My ion cuts but once it gets maybe 6” or more down into the ice it needs downward pressure for it to cut. Otherwise it just spins.

it's the problem I had and I contacted ION  they mailed a replacement up grade!   No charge!    the new design is AWESOME!   

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Hey Bob

We were out around the point. Just got the cove on the way back in. Not much choice on time, I had a couple free hours so that’s when I could go. Bad timing for over there, I know....  Lloyd is on some new meds for his Lyme and is seeing some improvement. We are planning an evening adventure over there this Sunday if you want to come out. Prob show up ariubdc4:00-5:00 and fish till after dark. 4 or 5 if is right now. I think you’ll have to climb the hill though. I think I heard the shore is pretty open at John’s. Maybe with a plank or s ladder. 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2018, 06:29 PM »
I even though about using my 16' aluminum canoe  but never  did those holes out a ways are really hidden. good chance for a broken leg or worse.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.