Author Topic: Helix 5  (Read 2597 times)

Offline bobo8

• IceShanty Rookie
Helix 5
« on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:18 PM »
Just bought the Humminbird Helix 5 flasher for ice fishing this winter. It worked great for the most part but was getting a lot of interference from 2 other Marcum units. Played around with the frequency and noise cancelation settings but couldnt seem to shake the interference. We were probably about 6-10 feet apart on the ice, and the Marcum units never had any interference.

Anyone have any suggestions with interference rejection for the Helix 5?

Offline Mike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Helix 5
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2017, 01:21 PM »
Switch to the narrow cone and play around with the sensitivity.

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2017, 02:15 PM »
That is the big problem with the hummingbird and why you should buy a Marcum.  you just have to move far enough away to get rid of it.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2017, 02:43 PM »
which helix model do you have...there are quite a bit of ways to tune out interference - often times you don't have to move away from a marcum lol

Catchin' Fish

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:16 PM »
 my bird works fine with marcums, even in my 2 man flip over and wide beam.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2017, 04:43 PM »
Slime on the transducer cone can create severe interference.

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Never had a problem with my ice 35.  And haven't had a problem with my helix 7ice yet.   
That is the big problem with the hummingbird and why you should buy a Marcum.  you just have to move far enough away to get rid of it.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Never had a problem with my ice 35.  And haven't had a problem with my helix 7ice yet.

I currently run the 35.  Like it but may want to upgrade and the ice helix7 has caught my eye.  How do you like it?
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Huber87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:49 PM »
I'm not trying to knock on the humminbird products but I owned a ice 35 for 3 ice seasons and then oooops won some money at blackjack and decided to buy the marcum lx7 and it blows the himminbird products out of the water, they are expensive, think it was 1000 dollars by the time all said and done but can't get a better view of what is going in down there than the lx7 depth sonar display, let's u know if there's a hot dog wrapper floating by

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2017, 05:54 PM »
My buddy has the LX7.  I've seen it in action and it's a great unit. Marcum was ahead of the rest with that technology.  From what I've seen the gap is narrowing.  I like the option of using the unit in summer as well. 

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 05:59 PM »
Well considering you went from entry level and skipped a few stages and went fairly up there in models I should hope it blows it out of the water....  This is like apples and oranges here. 
I'm not trying to knock on the humminbird products but I owned a ice 35 for 3 ice seasons and then oooops won some money at blackjack and decided to buy the marcum lx7 and it blows the himminbird products out of the water, they are expensive, think it was 1000 dollars by the time all said and done but can't get a better view of what is going in down there than the lx7 depth sonar display, let's u know if there's a hot dog wrapper floating by

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Love it.   I had a helix 5 GPS and sold to a buddy to get autochart to share maps with my buddy.  And then heard about the helix Ices and was instantly sold. Now everything is all in one and take it with summer or winter from boat to boat or from flip over to passenger seat of my pickup as you follow the GPS to the next spot.  Just remember to turn the brightness down if you will be on the lake all day.   
I currently run the 35.  Like it but may want to upgrade and the ice helix7 has caught my eye.  How do you like it?

Offline Instro.Mental

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Love it.   I had a helix 5 GPS and sold to a buddy to get autochart to share maps with my buddy.  And then heard about the helix Ices and was instantly sold. Now everything is all in one and take it with summer or winter from boat to boat or from flip over to passenger seat of my pickup as you follow the GPS to the next spot.  Just remember to turn the brightness down if you will be on the lake all day.   

yep - brightness setting always gets me.

turn down the brightness, turn up the chart speed!!

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:10 PM »
I'm thinking upgrading when I have the dough.  I currently have an old Eagle portable for summer.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.