Author Topic: Is Condie dead?  (Read 2128 times)

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
Is Condie dead?
« on: Jan 28, 2006, 01:28 AM »
 Out of curiousity, has anyone caught fish at Condie (small reservior just outside Regina) in the last couple years. Specifically, has anyone ever caught a Walleye there?
 That little reservior has gone through major changes in the last 20 years and the fishing was getting really interesting until about 2 years ago.
 Condie reservior was created when the boggy creek was damned off back in the 50's I believe. At one time it was about 20' deep in the main channel and 7-12' on average throughout. When I was 12 (14 years ago) Condie still had depths of at least 15' and a really healthy Perch population considering the lake is the size of 3 city blocks.
 About 5 years ago I was fishing Condie often out of convienience and always caught plenty of small Pike and some Perch here and there although the Perch population was pretty much cleaned out between the Pike and over-harvesting.
 Then it happened!
 My friend called me on his cellphone, excited like a kid at Christmas, claiming he and several others were pulling small Walleye out of Condie non-stop, all day!
 I called bullcrap on this as by this time ( 3-4 years ago) Condie was silting in badly and choked with weeds, hardly good Walleye habitat. I drove out to see myself and sure enough they were catching little Walleye ( barely a lb.) on nightcrawler pieces on jigheads reeled slow across the bottom. I caught 7 in 2 hours and we got over 30 between 3 of us. We went out two days later and caught a few each but a lot slower. Those were the last Walleye we caught or heard of in Condie. How'd they get there?
 The C.O. told us some left-over Walleye from the Quappelle hatchery might have been released about 5 or 6 years back but these fish were younger than that and Walleye spawning in Condie is out of the question.
 Now, we can't find any fish or water deeper than 6-7' in the whole lake. **censored**?
 How can a waterbody silt-in so badly it goes from a 15' honey-hole with multi-species, to a 6' weed choked slough when the waterline hasn't visibly dropped on the shoreline??? Anyone who knows anthing about Condie or has caught anything recently, or anyone who can explain this drastic depth and habitat change, I'd love to hear your input.
Any tosser can catch a little, sissyfin Walleye.
 Walleye suck, and Perch suck-off Walleye.
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Is Condie dead?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2006, 09:34 PM »
TTT :)
 I only fish for monster Pike, the kind that scare you right off the Walleye trail!

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2006, 01:27 AM »

Anybody out there???

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:29 AM »
one of my buddies swears he pulled  2lb eye out three summers ago, but said that was the only one, he couldn't believe it and knew without a camera kno one else would.  He released it, letting all proof swim away. I still believe him, not a fsih story guy at all.
fish crusher
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline NoLimitSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:51 PM »
 You'd think in theory that any waterbody within a system that is connected to a major lake or river should have the potential to have almost any fish in that major body it is connected to. Even if the conditions aren't ideal for the species, I'm sure some fish accidentally make there way far enough up the feeder creeks and streams to enter and remain in these little creeks, ponds and reserviors. I used to work with a guy who had his own ultralight plane and said he's seen quite a few Elk ( had pictures of Elk herd ) and Black Bear in the Quappelle valley around the Fort and through to Lumsden and Wascana trails. I've heard a few farmers around the Cupar/Dysart area say there are cougars around there. Animals and fish don't have boundaries. They prefer certain conditions ideally, but if they can meet the general requirements of food and shelter, will often venture outside what would be considered to be their normal range.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.