Author Topic: ***WARNING*** LAST MNTN DEC 2011  (Read 6822 times)

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
***WARNING*** LAST MNTN DEC 2011
« on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:48 PM »
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FISH THE AREA FROM NORTH OF THE STONE BARN  TO WEE TOO BEACH !!!The ice was in good condition with thickness in the 8-10 inch range UNTIL TODAY. PRESSURE RIDGES, TEMPS,AND FLAWS HAVE MADE THS AREA EXTREMELY UNSTABLE !!!!

Aprox 12 fishermen went out on foot today on good ice but that all changes with one big bang. The ice opened up and left everyone stranded looking for a way off. Thanks to local residents who came out with extension ladders, planks , ropes and sleighs everyone was able to crawl the make shift bridge and get off the ice safely. THIS IS NOT JUST A CRACK OR OPEN WATER ON THE ICE SURFACE.....ITS IS OPEN WATER PEOPLE.

This open water will freeze and some poor fisherman is going to drill a hole and see 10 inches and start walking. PLEASE dont do it because a few steps further will mean trouble.

The main visible ridge runs from Wee Too point and goes south past Alice Beach and then cuts east by THE FLATS located about 1/2 way between the barn and Alice. It snakes in and out and ICE IS NOT SAFE even 20 ft from shore. I would not recommend fishing in this area to anyone as it is not safe on foot ...so dont even think you can creep the shore on a quad.

[b]PLEASE TAKE THIS WARNING SERIOUSLY. IT IS NOT SOME PLOY TO KEEP PEOPLE OFF THE HOT SPOT OR ANY OTHER HIDDEN AGENDA. LETS KEEP EVERYONE SAFE FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS THIS CHRISTMAS SEASON AND PLAY IT SAFE. I THINK WE CAN AGREE THAT ONE TRAGEDY IS MORE THAN ENOUGH ON LAST MOUNTAIN THIS YEAR. MY CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY OF THE UNFORTUNATE INCIDENT NEAR GRANDVIEW LAST WEEKEND. [/b] [/size]

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
Re: ***WARNING*** LAST MNTN DEC 2011
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:03 PM »
The ice is getting worse at grandview too, I've never seen it as cracked as it is. The wind and warm weather has this ice all kinds of messed up. Sucks, we were driving earlier than this last year and we still have a long ways to go before its safe to do so.

Glad to hear everyoneI is safe.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:23 PM »
Thanks for the well written and informative post.  Let's hope people take care.
Blake from Elbow

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:41 PM »
Thanks for the warning rumblefish_1
  I think I will be fishing north of the Yellowhead until Last Mountain sets up good and solid'
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Was out at Katepwa today, talked to a few people and they said the same thing happened there yesterday! The ice first started cracking and then sounded like a shotgun blast and then a huge section of ice sank below the water surface :o They had to walk around it to get off the lake!!! :woot:
Took the shack out there today, hopefully it floats! :unsure:

Offline Team Top-It 2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Walleyerus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:29 PM »
Well put. This is very strange. Good to see the posts. Pass it on to the anglers in the area. The ice will be thin for some time. Even walking out can be Dangerous. Play safe guys. :icefish:

Offline gobigorgohomenow101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2011, 11:37 PM »
I know it isn't fun but I did it last weekend with a hand auger, so with a power auger it should be easy! Every 2 yards drill a hole and mesure ice thickness. Look at the cracks on the ice, you will see them going down or not. I did it on echo checking thickness. Just be careful out there! until it doesn't dip below -20 every night for 2 weeks we will keep having terrible ice conditions.

Offline walleye protector

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:19 AM »
good post. this old  girl is just showing us who is realy the boss out tthere...be safe...

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Thanks for the info. WE NEED SOME COLD WEATHER!
Still counting.....

Offline Frozenhole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Good heads up.  Thanks for the info,  stay safe out there fellow anglers.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:39 PM »
Wow...pretty crazy. I was thinking of heading out there last week but didnt think it would be safe and went to Buffalo Pound.

Offline Jeromey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:52 PM »
Thanks, was planning on going out tomorrow.

Offline jagger_ca

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Anyone have any pictures from that day, would like to see what the ice looked like.

Offline BlindIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Tobin also has a lot of ridges and heaves. I have never seen as many as this before. I know they are letting a lot of water go through E.B. Cambell right now and guys are driving out. First hole I drilled I had 3inches of ice and then about 15inches of water then more ice again under it. I am not risking driving out there right now. Same thing could happen on tobin as well.

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2011, 02:22 PM »
Tobin even more so.  Thats a crazy lake for heaves on the flats.  especially in march with the water on the ice.

Offline powerwagon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:07 PM »
maybe someone in that area could make sure it is posted.....

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:26 PM »
I dont think posting would help,just like the no tresspassing and no hunting signs are ignored.comon sense is what is needed.

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:53 PM »
Sorry Jagger....once i got on to land the last thing i thought of was taking pics. There was one guy that took pics but i dont know who he was, as well as some locals that were taking pics of guys crawling across.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:07 AM »
Rumblefish, how wide was the stretch of open water you had to crawl over?  After the heave happened were you and the others on a completely detached piece or was it just too cracked up around you to walk around?  I had it break on me at Pelican about 20 years ago while fishing the head of the point on 4" of good new ice and I had to walk about a mile east to find a spot I felt safe enough jumping across.  I think it popped because it just turned into a nice warm sunny day and the change in temp was all it took.  And that wasnlt dicky ice at all, it was nice dark new ice.  I remember laying in bed out theremant times and listening to it boom all night as the temps dropped again from daytime highs.  My friend went to Spring Bay yesterday and he said he had 10" out in front of the cottage and   caught a few jacks but couldn't really see anything across the lake at Wee-Too/Alice.  He's sceptical of the danger but wants to argue all the time.  Too German for his own good.  I've fished with him off and on for over 30 yeears but sometimes I'd just like to put a pillow over his face and press hard.
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:28 AM »
I myself would question there being 10 inches at spring bay,check yourself to be sure what you got before venturing out to far.just my opinion...

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:42 AM »
forgot to mention buzzbomb.that heave at alice was already there ,they crossed it and later got themselfs into trouble.this is where a little common sense should have been used.

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2011, 11:50 AM »
I dont know how common sence would help there.  You cross heaves almost everytime you go out, just a very abnormal day out there.  Something different is going to happen sooner or later if you spend a lot of time on the ice.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Yes MOUNTAINGUY good point but the first thread that rumblefish posted said there was 8 to 10 inches of ice.not in this area as it was only froze for 3 days when this ridge started and was about 4 inches when they went out,.maybe some people say inches when they mean centimeters???

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Is he the old feller that fishes pike out of a canoe with pontoons?
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline mountainguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Fair enough protecter.      If they had to crawl over a ladder to get back how did they get their gear over the water?

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Hi Buzz....we were not out there floating aimlessly.  The ice we were on appeared to be safe.  The issue was getting from one piece of ice to the other closer to shore.  Im not great at guessing distances but can say it was the width of an etdended extnesion ladder.We discussed trying to walk around but it was decided that really...where do you go?  And how do you know if where your walking will be stronger or weaker than where you are? It was already 4pm so sun was going away soon and lots of people were there to help withs ropes ect. The smartest thing to do was to stay where we were, and cross closest to shore (which is where we got on) and know that help was there to get off in case something did happen to go wrong. Nobody was in any immediate danger and we  werent in deep water so no sense walking into deeper water and possibly thinner ice to find out.

YA maybe a guy could have walked somewhere but none of us were willing to take the chance.  After seeing the open water , I dont think too many guys were keen on trying to cross the ridge elsewhere even if it was frozen.

As for fishing on that side< I have stated my opinions that I wont recommend it. I have been ice fishing for over 35 yrs and im not scared to walk out at first ice (SAFELY) ,Im no coward but Im no fool either, and I WONT be back in that area until at least mid January and even 3 weeks may not be enough for me if we dont see some cold weather soon.  Would rather be on top of the ice catching fish than under ice with them  lol  If you dont see a ton of shacks there when you look across from Spring Bay theres a reason for it.  If people that live there wont go out that tells you its bad.

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2011, 02:39 PM »
A sleigh similar to the bottom of a clam was used to get gear across. With a rope tied to each end it got pulled back and forth over the water with the gear.

Offline steadyrippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2011, 02:57 PM »
did u guys at least catch any fish while you were there

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2011, 03:03 PM »
got ! eye ! pike and 2 tulibee.....it wasnt worth the crawl to be honest.  Hope the other guys did better than me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.