Author Topic: Need advice. Clam 6800 or Fish trap X2  (Read 13210 times)

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Need advice. Clam 6800 or Fish trap X2
« on: Oct 06, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Ok fellas. I'm in a heck of a good bind. I'm looking at a new ice shanty. My question is which one should I go with the clam 6800 or the fish trap X2. I've looked at both pretty closely, on the computer that is. I have not actually stepped foot in either of them. So here is the deal I fish alone 50 % of the time. I like alot of room. I also want to be able to set up by myself. So I need some input from those of you who may own or have set up either of these units. Can I set up either by myself? I really like the 6800 for the room and layout. But am a little unsure if I can set her up alone. I like the fishtrap for the reason that I can set it up alone with ease it looks to me. Please give me your input from expierence on either if the two so I can make a decision. I KNOW!!!! I need to go look at both in person. Give me your opinions  thanks for your input..Jason ;)

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need advice. Clam 6800 or Fish trap X2
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2008, 09:58 PM »
How often do you move around?  When I'm fishing I move around a bit so the fish trap is more for me.  If you're like me then I would rule out the clam.
Travis

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2008, 10:19 PM »
well the Clam 6800 weighs 100 lbs while the X2 weighs 145 lbs...how are you planning on moving it? sled, ATV, or truck? if you want the possibility of staying out over night then the 6800 should be long enough to put a cot in assuming you're not 8' 1"... ;) not sure what else you might need to know..
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2008, 07:36 AM »
As mentioned before
1. How much do you move when fishing.  Do you take the whole works with you each time you move or just head out from base camp on foot?
2. What do you have for transportation on the ice (by foot, atv, snowmobile, etc)
3. Do you have a truck that you can throw either of these into.  Seems silly but if it wont fit in your vehicle what good is it?

To be honest i prefer flip over style ice houses compared to suitcase style ice houses (i have and use both).  They are easier to move quickly, set up time is next to nothing, and are more wind resistent.  Have you considered looking at the Fish Trap Yukon?  It isnt quite as big as the X2 but weighs 40 pounds less and has PLENTY of room for one guy and more then enough room for two bigger guys and their gear; it would save you some money as well and is a very good option.  When i fish solo out of my yukon i just take out the extra seat to lighten the load and pull it by myself on and off the ice with out too much of a problem.

Just some things to think about; good luck with your search!

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Jason, Please post your decision when made if you can. Like you, I wanted something easy to haul, setup and move around. And I too like alot of room. In fact the only differance between us is that I fish about 99% of the time alone. Right now I use a eastman Ice Cube...4 man. I guess my biggest need is ease of hauling. Most places I go you have to haul your stuff on the ice by hand and my wheeler stays home. I was gonna pull the trigger and buy one of the types you are, but waited too long in the season last year and my local store was out. So for now I use a sled and bungee all my stuff on it. I know alot of folks dont like the Icecube, but it works pretty good for me...real roomy and dosent weigh much. Best of luck in your decision, and in this years season.  Bob
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2008, 08:16 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'll do a little more research. What I really need to do is look at some set up in person.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2008, 08:38 PM »
the fish trap works well for me and i also bring everything but the kitchen sink.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2008, 08:54 PM »
This comes down to the 2 styles of houses.  The suitcase type (6800) and the flip-over(X2). I think that you will want to get the best flip-over that you can afford and here is why.

Suitcase Pros:
Cheap
Easy to haul in a vehicle

Cons:
All gear sits on top and will slide off
Takes longer to setup (in my opinion)
Have to get some sort of seating, its not included
Need to anchor it on bare ice

Flip-over Pros:
Carries all gear and doesn’t fall off
Quicker/easier on the setup
Usually includes some nice seats
Only really have to anchor it in strong winds
Doesn’t have to be setup to use nice seats
Can modify it to your needs

Cons:
More money
Heavier
Tougher to load and unload by yourself
Some will say that your feet get cold (not in my opinion)

For me it was simple.  I got tired of having gear fall off and having to check it as I moved around.  I wanted something that stored all my gear and also wanted the nicer seats.  I liked the idea of pulling up to a spot and just sitting on the seats and not setting completely up until I found a good spot. 

The weight and dimensions are a downside.  It is tougher for me to load by myself.  But for the most part, I am usually fishing with a buddy, so loading is not that big of a downside.  I cannot leave my tonneau cover on with the flip-over and I can on the suitcase.  This could be, depending were you fish, an issue.  I usually like to keep my gear out of site when possible.

All in all I would by a flip-over the first time.  I wouldn’t have even bought the suitcase one if it weren’t for the money.  If I were given $100 for a shelter, I would wait and save up for the flip-over. 

Hope this helps you out.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2008, 11:46 PM »
Thanks jkjaacks..Thats the kind of input I needed not that everyone elses was bad,but it seems that you have had expierence with both. Here is a little more food for thought. Say I go with the flip over. The fish trap X2 is 94"X74" and 145#,  the fish trap yukon is 86"x62" and 107#. And the Yukon is 200 cheaper. hmmmmmm I think I can give up a little room for 2 bills

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2008, 07:01 AM »
There is still a lot of room in the Yukon for two bigger guys, flashers, heater, all the gear, and four holes.  For $200, 40 less pounds, and a little less room i think you have a pretty good start!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2008, 04:36 PM »
Just some food for thought. Otter has an inventory special on some of their flip overs. http://www.otteroutdoors.com/discontinuedinventory.html Otter builds a tough built house and the sled is awsome. They are big and roomey. I've fished with me and my old man in my Otter Den already, it was tight but it was also 0 deg out with 40mph winds and whiteout conditions.. ;D I'm a flip over guy and they are great for staying mobile if needed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.