Author Topic: Marine Metal Bubble Box vs Hush Bubbles  (Read 1959 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Marine Metal Bubble Box vs Hush Bubbles
« on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:45 AM »
I know that several of the Utah Ice Shanty crew are using battery operated aerators to keep their holes ice free while fishing with out shelters and for jaw jacker/tip-up holes.  One of the more popular units is the Marine Metal Bubble Box (Amazon Prime $7.96 + tax).  Looking the Bubble Box up on Amazon, I also found the Hush Bubble (Amazon Prime $15.98 +tax).  At double the price for the Hush Bubble, is it worth the cost increase?  I'll probably order a couple of units tomorrow afternoon and have then for my next perch search on Tuesday or Wednesday. What do y'all think; anybody here used the more expensive Hush Bubble?
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Marine Metal Bubble Box vs Hush Bubbles
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2020, 09:56 AM »
Ive had excellent luck with the metal marine baby bubbles.takes aa batteries.i also have the bubble box and dont like using or buying d batteries.the baby bubbles puts out just as much oxygen and smaller.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2020, 10:13 AM »
Going on or our 3rd year with these. I would have to say if they take 2- D batteries they are all alike. Most will run on 1 depending on how they're wired. These are all the ones we've used

Marine Metal Aeratr Bubble Box 1.5V https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EYULIS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fkbsEbNCZJX6A

Marine Metal 135316 Hush Bubble Quiet 3 Vcd 2 D Batt +/-52 HRs B16 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QFZYLC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AobsEbBE3K9T8

Saim Aquarium Battery Operated Air Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019OTAVYW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JrbsEbKSRJCW5

There's another knock off that's skyler uses but like I said it's 6's. The only real difference is the quality. The ones over $10 seem to me to be better quality on the box itself. They all pump the same though. I prefer the ones with the power switch on top. Easier to access it as I keep mine in crown royal bags and then inside a water proof zippered bag. Now I know you might be thinking overkill and these can handle the elements. When it's really cold or snowing I just prefer to protect my investment and prolong battery life wherever possible. I run up to 5 of these all day/ night at the gorge if I've got poles down outside and holes are freezing. They really don't consume that much battery either. Im going on the 3rd season now with a couple of them on the same 2 D batteries. Another tip is to just put the stone aside and included line. Those stones freeze up and can break real easy in the cold when pulling them from the ice hole and leaving on the ice to bring a fish up, the cheap lines coil like no other. We've been using some more rigid swamp cooler/ a/c type of line. Heat one end and mash it with some pliers. Take a small scribe and poke 5-10 holes in that end. I pull the line off and store it in the bag when done. The 2nd good thing about customizing your tubing is getting it a little further from the hole. Not naming anyone but they slide right down the hole if bumped in the wrong direction. Lol we were using the clear line but changed this winter to the black. Much easier to see when you drop it on the ice/ snow. The only other mod I'm going to do to these is a safety line to attach to my jacker if I do kick it. I can store 5 in this laundry bucket with room to spare for other gear

All these little mods don't cost much and will save you a lot of headache on the ice. Cut extra tubing and put it in one of the bags. Honestly for a little investment these have been great to keep my eyes on my finder instead of keeping up to 6 holes clear and they are always in my jacker holes. Can't let that line freeze in the hole or they're useless.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2020, 11:58 AM »
Bob, i also use the Marina Metal bubblers. They are inexpensive and have lasted a few years now. I have not used the more expensive aerators so i can not comment on them. The less expensive ones seem to function just fine, i have no issues with them so far.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Here's a short clip of mine running on the jigging jacker at Henry's lake Idaho, temp was below zero. It's filmed on my phone so it's not the best quality. This is the original set up with stock line and stone. Really hard to keep that line straight. I had it zip tied to a piece of metal hanger. I haven't noticed the noise effect the fish but we're usually fishing 10fow or deeper

Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.