Author Topic: New to Utah...best lakes to target  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Flyingfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
New to Utah...best lakes to target
« on: Sep 26, 2019, 03:32 PM »
Just moved to Spanish Fork, Utah. Have done quite a bit of ice fishing in Wyoming and was hoping to see what might be some good lakes to start scouting for this winter?

Thanks and look forward to seeing y’all on the ice.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: New to Utah...best lakes to target
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2019, 07:32 AM »
Welcome to the shanty flyingfishes, a few of the closer places you will want to scout out would be strawberry reservoir, scofield reservoir and fish lake. All 3 places have great potential to get you a limit or possibly a big one. Another option which used to produce some nice pike is yuba. I would look thru the reports and conditions page for these places. They can definitley help getting to know the waters. You'll need one more post and then you should be able to see them on the main page right above the state boards. If you have any questions feel free to ask and myself or the other utah forum members will be glad to help where we can. Again welcome to the shanty  @)
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Flyingfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Muskyon46, Thanks for the welcome and sharing some good options. Will definitely start looking at the lakes you suggested. Excited to knock the dust off the auger and give it a go this winter.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Welcome to the Utah boards.  It would help us answer your question if you specified which species you wish to target.  There are dozens of species to pick from.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Flyingfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2019, 04:50 PM »
Hey dubob, i am pretty general I just like to be out there fishing. Trout, perch and walleye are what I have chased in the past under the ice but open to any type of fish. Have a truck to get to the lake but will be limited to Walking distance fishing up to a couple miles in if needed, as long as the ice is solid. Have seen some lakes in the map just wasn’t sure which ones got good ice and had a few fish in the winter?

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Freeze up starts early in the high country.  Late November for the lakes up on the top of the Mirror Lake Highway.  Fishable ice down lower can start in mid to late December but may  not until the first part of January.  Some of the higher lakes will have good ice thru the end of March, but most of the close lakes to the Front will start getting iffy due to soft/open  edges caused by the lakes rising.  Walleye thru the ice is not good in Utah for some reason.  Perch and trout are the main targets for almost everybody.  There are some crappie chasers as well and a couple lakes have good populations of these.  And most of our lakes are excellent for walk on's.  Good luck and be sure to let us know how you do.

:icefish:
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Crappielover89

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2019, 10:13 PM »
Welcome to the Utah Board we are more than happy to have you and to share with you what lakes will produce for you. Muskyon touched on some good lakes and dubob also touched on some good spots. I just want to add a little more to them. I usually am on ice in the Uintas between Nov 1- 5 on anywhere from 3-5 inches of ice. These lakes have lots of fish in them and can produce lots of numbers just not much size. This one will make some guys mad as the lake gets POUNDED but in the first week to second week of Dec Echo is usually locked up and ready to go with bows, browns,perch and walleye are present as well. For years Echo has produced very well for trout in the 16-20 inch range and the perch have started coming back. Another lake to look at would be Starvation. Once again the lake has the same fish but walleye are way more plentiful and caught yearly through the ice. The last ones i would look at are the lakes in the fairview canyon above scofield. They have good size and are plentiful. Lakes include mammoth gooseberry and there are tons of others that are small but fun to fish. These lakes usually lock up a week or two after the Uintas.

any questions feel free to send a message ill answer any question you have

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Welcome I thought about a lake or two I didn’t see these guys mentioned and they are deer creek and just past Strawberry is currant Creek

Offline Flyingfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2020, 07:19 PM »
Thanks for all the help and information. Made it out today for the first time. Short trip over to scoffield. Noon to 3. Landed 12. All catch and release. Mostly cutts and a couple rainbows. Not much size but had a great time. good to get back to some hard water. Couldn’t ask for a nicer day. Didn’t even need the shelter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.