Author Topic: Flaming Gorge  (Read 2733 times)

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flaming Gorge
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:10 PM »
I was wondering when the gorge usually gets a lid on it and if the ice fishing is good enough to merit a really long drive to fish it? ??? ???

Offline FGRfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flaming Gorge
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:14 AM »
There's already safe ice up the Blacks Fork and Green River arms.  There's ice down to the Confluence of the two, but I'm not sure on the thickness or safety there.  Some of the lower bays are also capping.  It's been pretty cold, especially with the fog over the reservoir, and ice is building daily.  If conditions stay like this, cold and no wind, the ice will form quickly down the reservoir.  Last year we fished across from Buckboard on January 3rd and in Upper Marsh Creek on January 5th to give you something to compare too.

Offline Duneman101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:01 AM »
If you look in the wyoming report forum, they have been fishing on firehole for a week or two now.

Offline FGRfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Just got back from "ice recon".  There's safe ice down to the Confluence/Lost Dog.  It's patchy below there.  Ice on the eastside of Lost Dog was about 4-5 inches.  Ice at Sage Creek, a couple of miles above there, was about 6-inches.  There were quite a few anglers out today, but I only saw a couple catch some lake trout over main channel depths near Sage Creek.  Hope it helps.

Offline arkansas angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Thanks for the information. That helps alot. Is the closest place to stay the place near the dam? I haven't been there in quite a while.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:35 PM »
if your planning on hitting the ice your best bet is gonna be to stay in green river. dont know how much ice forms around the dam area myself ive always fished up higher this time of year
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2011, 01:37 PM »
Just got back from "ice recon".  There's safe ice down to the Confluence/Lost Dog.  It's patchy below there.  Ice on the eastside of Lost Dog was about 4-5 inches.  Ice at Sage Creek, a couple of miles above there, was about 6-inches.  There were quite a few anglers out today, but I only saw a couple catch some lake trout over main channel depths near Sage Creek.  Hope it helps.

thanks for the report FGRfisher i cant wait for my recon trip on the 6th jan to find a spot to put the trailer when we head up for the bash
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Your best bet for a trailer will probally be near the  buckboard area. It depends on how much snow they get up there, the drifts are what kill you. Alot of the roads drift badly, pulling a trailer down them is scary!! Plus it beats the hell out of your trailer.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:33 PM »
ya we stayed just across the bay from buckboard last year and it was sweet being able to fish within walking distance from the trailer ecspecially after a few cold 1's the only thing that was sketchy was how fast the ice was deteriorating during the bash. im looking to move a little more up stream where the ice was alot thicker and stable which at the rate its going should be plenty thick as long as mother nature cooperates
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline liv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:38 PM »
Up stream from buckboard usually means longer roads into lake. Lost dog road can be mean and ugly, i will not pull my trailer down it in the winter. Some years its ok, but most of the time it is not.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:03 PM »
yes i agree we will not be pulling a trailer down into anywhere by the confluence/lostdog. my buddies stayed on the ice there last year at the bash and i bet that road get down right ugly when the snow flies. we will be staying on the ice there when we go on the 6th and will be in a truck with a set of tire chains at the ready if the snow flies. have been looking at the google maps and were wanting to check out the area on the other side of buckboard from where we were last year. if the weather is looking ugly im sure we will just stay at buckboard
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline fishing4downsyndrome

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:06 PM »

HOPE TO SEE EVERYONE HERE!!! CALL OR EMAIL US FOR MORE INFO!

Offline FGRfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2011, 08:13 PM »
thanks for the report FGRfisher i cant wait for my recon trip on the 6th jan to find a spot to put the trailer when we head up for the bash

The road to Holmes Crossing is also pretty good and something to consider.  At last year's Bash, that's where the ice ended.   Well a few ice anglers ended up further south, but that's where their ice originated.  Remember the east side too.  The roads over there are pretty even in bad storms.  I frequent that side a lot and never have had any problems.  There will be a check station on the eastside at Cruel Jack's this year, which is the gas station at the Hwy191 exit off from I-80, just west of Rock Springs.  Good luck....

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2011, 09:54 AM »
thx we will look into that area (east side). we definately dont want to float on a ice boat around the holmes area
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.