The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: That's All Folks!  (Read 8494 times)

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
That's All Folks!
« on: Mar 02, 2020, 11:22 AM »
Well guys can't say that I didn't have a good year out there on the ice as I did even though the ice was crapola.  Had to travel a bit and fished two new lakes again this year which is always fun for a new adventure.  I sure hope next season we get some better conditions in Western, PA.  I'm thankful for the times I was able to get out but sad to see it go as this was my shortest season in 15 years of ice fishing.  Will put the last of my ice gear away tonight and get ready for trout streams or maybe some walters up at pymie.  Anyone else out there still hardwater fishing be safe and good luck STAY ON TOP.  Thanks for all the reports, chatter, and distractions from the "real world".  I check this site religiously during ice season and have taken loads of knowledge from here to put to use on the ice.

Catch all you ice nuts next season!

If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: That's All Folks!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2020, 05:41 PM »
Made the executive decision last Sunday to call it with the ice conditions and predicted weather. Season started great getting out 3 times in December and thinking it was going to be a nice long season. Blinked and the ice was gone until February. Was still a good season with quantities of fish down but overall size was up. Fished one new lake a couple of times, fishing was slow but still on the ice. Wiggly812 drug me out a couple times when it might've been better setting in the house!LOL Or I could've just taken the shanty along to set in.

As always, I appreciate the wealth of information on this site. See ya all next season.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2020, 07:49 PM »
I got a week plus to go, it sucked all year that I had to travel for good ice but I'm use to it now, headed out in the morning again as long it isn't a downpour.

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2020, 09:55 AM »
Lousy, horrible, rotten, no good year.  Southcentral PA never had safe ice.  Didn't make any trips north.  Blah...  Getting the boat out this weekend.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2020, 10:04 AM »
Lousy, horrible, rotten, no good year.  Southcentral PA never had safe ice.  Didn't make any trips north.  Blah...  Getting the boat out this weekend.

:-\ :-\ :-\ sorry to hear it.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2020, 12:41 PM »
Well guys can't say that I didn't have a good year out there on the ice as I did even though the ice was crapola.  Had to travel a bit and fished two new lakes again this year which is always fun for a new adventure.  I sure hope next season we get some better conditions in Western, PA.  I'm thankful for the times I was able to get out but sad to see it go as this was my shortest season in 15 years of ice fishing.  Will put the last of my ice gear away tonight and get ready for trout streams or maybe some walters up at pymie.  Anyone else out there still hardwater fishing be safe and good luck STAY ON TOP.  Thanks for all the reports, chatter, and distractions from the "real world".  I check this site religiously during ice season and have taken loads of knowledge from here to put to use on the ice.

Catch all you ice nuts next season!
had to clean her out,DUN DUN NEVER DUN

STILL GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline jimhaney08

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2020, 12:42 PM »
:-\ :-\ :-\ sorry to hear it.

Just the way she goes!  Just means I'm all kinds of amped up for open water.  haha.
My Setup:  Otter XL sled on a smitty.  10" Strikemaster Lithium 50 Volt auger.  Clam Bigfoot XL 2000 hub.  Garmin Striker 5 Ice Bundle.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2020, 06:34 PM »
Just the way she goes!  Just means I'm all kinds of amped up for open water.  haha.
I been open water fishing all winter. Other than stocked trout at the lake. It's been lots of fishing & not much catching.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2020, 09:02 AM »
yeah, I'm pretty much done. I could take a ride and find a few lakes that still have ice but I just don't feel like taking an hour drive just to sit on a bucket all day to catch a few bluegills. I have plenty of spring cleaning to do and when that's done the lakes will be clear and I'll get the kayak out.

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2020, 05:18 PM »
Yea it’s always tough when you have to put away your short rods, it’s a bit early for my liken but when the fat lady decides to belt out a tune the party’s over anyone still at it be careful be safe so you will be on shanty next winter. A/P  :tipup:

Offline quickshake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2020, 06:26 PM »
I'm still chasing it, fished today on 9" of good ice with 1 1/2 of crap on top, bite was slow but I was out of the house, life is good.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2020, 11:08 AM »
I just walked past a glass door at work and saw about a dozen robins out on the lawn. All I could think of was "which lake do I bring the yak to first!"

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2020, 03:32 PM »
I would enjoy talking with you guys on myfishfinder.com. Thanks for all the info.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2020, 07:51 AM »
Hit 73* yesterday so I think it's OFFICIAL!:
Where's the FISH?!

Offline 4seasonfishrman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2020, 08:03 PM »
0 days on the ice for me this past season.  I thought about driving north for some ice but I'm hesitant to drive hours away to fish unknown water and still not be confident that there will be good ice when I get there.  Last year wasn't a very good year in the sw part of the state so I figured this year would have to be better, boy was I wrong.

6 yrs ago yesterday I was fishing on 8" of ice at Greenick lake!

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2020, 06:56 AM »
 The only "silver lining" that no ice means is some of our highly pressured lakes get to rebound.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2020, 06:59 AM »
It's sad to think. I have spent more time on this site this year. Than I spent on the ice.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2020, 09:57 AM »
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I was on ice pretty much all season. Any time I wanted to get out and walk on water, I did. It was funny this year though, on most of the lakes that I usually do good on pickerel and perch, all I could come up with most of the time was gills! Perch avoided me pretty easily and pickerel mostly stole my jigs and ran... although I did catch a pic on Prompton that had a Swedish pimple in his lip that wasn't mine. Thanks to whoever it was that lost it, I'll put it to good use next year! ;D

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2020, 04:41 PM »
Well goodie for you!!!    :)

Glad you got out Mike.   My year was less active.   I think I got out 5 or 6 times, with minimal results.   Felt like it was going to be a great year when I was on the ice before x-mas, but was not to be.

Hoping the polar vortex makes an early and protracted visit to us next year.   Enjoy the open water kayak fishing.    I'm planning on spending more time at my camper on the upper Delaware with fly rod in hand this year.   Last two years, I made one trip.   I need to stop letting life get in the way.

George

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2020, 09:04 AM »
George, sorry we didn't get together this season. You know me, I tend to make it up as I go along so I never quite knew when I would get out until I did.

I never flyfished the Delaware. I tried the Susky once and ended up in the middle of the whitefly hatch. It was cool at first but after a while it just gave me the heebies. I was literally covered in flies...  :sick:

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2020, 09:16 AM »
No worries Mike.   We'll sit on a bucket together sometime.   I have had a similar bug experience on the Delaware with caddis flies.   They cover you, get in your ears and up your nose, and when you get undressed, they're all over the place.   Love that!  :)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2020, 07:02 AM »
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I was on ice pretty much all season. Any time I wanted to get out and walk on water, I did. It was funny this year though, on most of the lakes that I usually do good on pickerel and perch, all I could come up with most of the time was gills! Perch avoided me pretty easily and pickerel mostly stole my jigs and ran... although I did catch a pic on Prompton that had a Swedish pimple in his lip that wasn't mine. Thanks to whoever it was that lost it, I'll put it to good use next year! ;D

Yeah, same here. I had to drive more this year, but still had a fairly long season. And mostly gills and trout. Hardly caught any perch and ZERO crappie!  ::)

Never fished the Upper Delaware for trout. Maybe I'll have to give it a try this year...……………..
Where's the FISH?!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.