Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

Smelt...?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Barleydog:
I do!  Well not King Crab, they are protected in Valdez due to the sea otters and overfishing.  I really like fishing herring when all the "hard work" is done.  We fish halibut, seabass, and salmon for a week each year.  Kinda like fishing for herring in order to break up the "hard work" of fishing for the big boys.  Relaxing, and it pays off come ice fishing time.  :D  Didn't get any decent numbers this year however?  

Reelinrolly:
Thanks for the tip...sounds interesting...I will let you knwo how I make out with it....you ever use this recipe when fishing for pike?...did it produce?...thnx

lessworkmorepike:
I am reading a lot of post about using dead smelt and want to try it.  However all I can find locally is frozen prepackaged 'headless' smelt.  

Obviously i would rather have the whole baitfish but is it worth my time to try the headless?  Could the oily stink be enough?

docbas:
Has anyone ever caught live smelt and kept them alive to use for tip-up bait?  I would imagine it is pretty hard to keep them alive that long.  Just a thought.

WartHog:
Lesswork.. I've used store bought, headless smelt before with good success.  Fished Presque Isle in the early spring and landed two pike (36" and 38") about a half-hour apart.  I've also used frozen smelt for catfish and done pretty good.

This Sunday will be the first time I try them under the ice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version