New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: The Great Sodus Bay family thread  (Read 16820 times)

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
The Great Sodus Bay family thread
« on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:29 AM »
Hey everyone wanted to try to repair our thread and make this one what everyone wants.
Was out yesterday a bit of a slow bite did manage a few. Nothing to big tho. Slush is 98% gone I’d say in the 3rd creek area.
Hope everyone stays safe and gets out and into em.

Tight lines
Perchin.

Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The Great Sodus Bay family thread
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:44 AM »
Great new thread thanks.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2021, 05:08 PM »
Fished out of 3rd creek yesterday. 31fow. Scratched out 60 keepers between 2 of us  . 10 to 13 inches. Tons of dinks . Had to stay 3 to 4 feet off bottom to keep the smallest of them off the hook . 4 inches black ice 4 inches of white ice . I personaly burned through 4 doz fathead. Machines out . There was slush  spots . Watched a 4 wheeler get bogged down to almost a stop. Great day to be on the ice .
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Was out today the conditions have not changed much. Lots of dinks slush was a bit worse today.

On way out this am pitch dark to a spot I haven’t fished in 2 yrs I find this on the way

Lucky I guess to see it and not run over it.
Pick up after yourself guys. Respect what we have there
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2021, 06:01 PM »
Was at Sodus today west of Newark Island about 30 feet. Tons of links...Damn never thought to fish up ..duh. Got a few enough for some fish patties..Was fun getting out though. A Bit of slush in spots ice in good shape and will get better with the temps going down.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Radneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2021, 10:48 AM »
I’m planning on a Sodus trip next week. First time on the bay.  Any info on parking and local bait shop would be appreciated.  Fishing with my son and best friend.   Looking for a change in scenery from the Fulton chain.  A good pub for lunch would be good too.   Thanks in advance. 

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2021, 01:30 PM »
I’m planning on a Sodus trip next week. First time on the bay.  Any info on parking and local bait shop would be appreciated.  Fishing with my son and best friend.   Looking for a change in scenery from the Fulton chain.  A good pub for lunch would be good too.   Thanks in advance. 
The parking is on you. There’s places at 3rd creek, margeretta rd launch, the bait shops, and the fireman’s launch. 3rd creek parking fills up fast. Fireman’s is normally next to fill up.
As for bait I would recommend Davenports on the east side of the bay, South end. The 2 bait shops are straight across the bridge from one another.
The drag will be snow dependent.
Good luck.
Tight lines.
Perchin
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline Radneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Perchin,  Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.  Rad

Offline Puffintuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2021, 02:46 PM »
Going to be heading up early tomorrow morning and was wondering if people have been seeing machines all over the bay and where the best place to launch a snowmobile would be?
he crusha the percha

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2021, 03:39 PM »
Going to be heading up early tomorrow morning and was wondering if people have been seeing machines all over the bay and where the best place to launch a snowmobile would be?
Haven’t personally been all over but have seen many machines out. I would feel comfortable to go most everywhere. Depending on slush you may try and launch from the bait shops. Or fireman’s launch by connelys cove. I haven’t been by the Margaretta st launch so no sure about it. 3rd is good to go but time is a factor and parking can get very tricky
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline yankmyline

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2021, 05:03 PM »
Is the Yacht Club parking lot open this year?

Offline sodusbayjim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2021, 06:32 PM »
Everyone is complaining about small fish this year. Well what do you expect sodus has been fished hard very hard for the last 4 winters. Do the math 1000 guys 25 or more fish per person Saturday and Sunday. Plus all the guys fishing over 30 fow or deeper killing ever fish they catch popping there bladders. Sodus is a great fishery sorry but it needs a break

Offline Puffintuff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2021, 07:18 PM »
Thank you! Yea time is my problem right now.we’ll see how it goes in the a.m. I’m sure there will be close to a battalion of people out there
he crusha the percha

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2021, 11:05 PM »
Thanks for the new thread Perchin and for all the info guys. Haven't made my annual Sodus trip yet this year but hopefully in the next few weeks... tight lines all
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline laserdude

• IceShanty Rookie
Harvest and Dinks
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2021, 07:31 AM »
Not sure if this is the place to throw out a question but let's see where it goes. I fished Irond. bay yesterday but sounds like Sodus is similar. Lot of people catching a lot of fish but most are small. I caught probably 40 fish and kept four: 10, 9, and two 8 inchers. Enough for a decent meal. I love "poor man's shrimp" and for that the dinks would  work equally well (though a bit more work)  but would need to keep more, of course. What do you folks think would be best for the fishery: I keep 15 or so dinks (6 to 7 inchers) and throw back the bigger ones or keep a fewer bigger fish. Even the 8 inchers had eggs in them.

Offline Zcasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2021, 09:11 AM »

Caught this big beautiful mama on my first drop down last weekend. She was full of eggs and started spilling a couple when I got her up. Decided to let her go and make her babies, gotta keep the future bright.
I'm a size 12 boot btw for comparison

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2021, 09:30 AM »

Caught this big beautiful mama on my first drop down last weekend. She was full of eggs and started spilling a couple when I got her up. Decided to let her go and make her babies, gotta keep the future bright.
I'm a size 12 boot btw for comparison

Would have filleted that one
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2021, 10:10 AM »

Really!!!

Who ever did this should lose their sportsman’s privilege. This is illegal and bad etiquette.

Found this am near a spot I regularly fish this am.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2021, 12:06 PM »

Really!!!

Who ever did this should lose their sportsman’s privilege. This is illegal and bad etiquette.

The biggest problem with this world is the people in it  >:(

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2021, 12:08 PM »
Zcasey, thanks for letting the big girl live on for us all... I would have had a hard time parting with her!!

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2021, 01:33 PM »
     Just for your IFY,  Zcasey 
     I would think if you saw ,what you thought was egg in its mouth
     I sooner thing it was air bladder showing in mouth
     usually happens  coming up from deep water
    Correct me if I am mistaken
snowsnake

Offline Zcasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2021, 02:58 PM »
No sir she had eggs coming out the belly. Couldn't keep her with a good conscience, had to let her live.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2021, 05:01 AM »
No sir she had eggs coming out the belly. Couldn't keep her with a good conscience, had to let her live.

Btw perch generally spawn between 44&54* so the temp says they have a while before spawn and if she was already spilling eggs she prolly be empty before it’s time.
Disclaimer:
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2021, 07:12 AM »
Btw perch generally spawn between 44&54* so the temp says they have a while before spawn and if she was already spilling eggs she prolly be empty before it’s time.

She was only spilling eggs from the warmth of the shanty and stress of being out of the water. As I don't think he release her right away.
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2021, 07:55 AM »
Wow, why is he getting so much crap for trying to do the right thing?  ??? ::)

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:04 AM »
Wow, why is he getting so much crap for trying to do the right thing?  ??? ::)

Im not giving him crap.  Im just saying why yt was spewing eggs already

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:11 AM »

they don't lay eggs threw thier mouth they eat  with it!!!!  she  was  eating  eggs, being mid feb my bet someone cleaned fish and deep 6th the remains ......

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:17 AM »

Really!!!

this isn't illegal if 100 foot from sure....it's not even bad  these  fish would have  died in that water and  decayed   helping plant lfe   which helps  cause feed  which helps grow big perch ..circle of life ......retured the  nutriants to the water instead of the land fill is alll

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2021, 09:24 AM »
they don't lay eggs threw thier mouth they eat  with it!!!!  she  was  eating  eggs, being mid feb my bet someone cleaned fish and deep 6th the remains ......
After reading his comment again I believe it was pushing some out of the proper spot to lay eggs but most likely due to internal pressure being brought up. It's not egg laying time yet but they are getting big bellies. I'm betting Sodus is like Oneida with a late March early to mid April spawn. Finger Lakes can be much later into May even. Nice fish regardless, nice colors.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2021, 11:38 AM »
 I believe it’s the change in pressure ,
 And I would have tossed that perch back way back in the bucket , ,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.