The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Clothing options  (Read 649 times)

Offline Jacks Grampa

• IceShanty Rookie
Clothing options
« on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:22 AM »
What do you like in the way of pants, coat and gloves? I'm new to ice fishing and just gearing up. Thanks, James

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
Re: Clothing options
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:34 AM »
What do you like in the way of pants, coat and gloves? I'm new to ice fishing and just gearing up. Thanks, James

I think just really comes down to yer budget. I've been comfortable in anything from a few layers of long John's and general clothes, and the same while standin in $2200 worth of clothes and boots. Everyone will have their own favorites, but I honestly believe it's personal preference. Boots and socks, however, is where I like to spend my money.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline Icehole__

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:36 AM »
Tackle Direct has a lot of Striker coats and bibs 50% off. That’s where I’d gear up

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2024, 08:49 AM »
Tackle Direct has a lot of Striker coats and bibs 50% off. That’s where I’d gear up

Nice heads up!!!! Thanks for the Intel.

Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2024, 09:00 AM »

Float suit for the win hard to beat Ice Runner pricing ..going to suggest bibs before coat if money is tight . Things to look for 100g of insulation minimum...adjustable hem...zippers to hip ...elastic in the side panel . Other companies that produce float suits . Clam ,,,Eskimo ..Striker Ice ...WinderRider ..Piscfun 

https://icerunnerhouses.com/float-suits-clothing/

Note on the SI  Trekker bib ...THERE IS NO ELASTIC IN THE SIDE PANEL HIP AREA ...THEY FIT LIKE CHEAP SNOW PANTS/BIBS...going up a size or two would be my recomendation.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2024, 03:06 PM »
the floating suits are the best option for sure, but if not affordable I always recommend clothing that works for other outdoor activities as well. Avoid cotton and stick with wool or synthetic fibers and layer your clothing.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2024, 07:36 PM »
I wear Carhartt Yukon bibs (nylon, not cotton), Muck Arctic Pro boots, Smart Wool socks, an Underarmour hoodie (again, NO cotton!) and a North Face or Carhartt parka.  I used to wear the Carhartt coveralls, but it’s easier with bibs to take the parka off inside a hub.  I suppose the flotation suits are better if you have the coin.  But as thick as the ice gets around here, I don’t worry too much about it.  Early and late season, I make sure I have a good spud bar and ice picks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.