Author Topic: help finding rainbow spot  (Read 622 times)

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
help finding rainbow spot
« on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I need some help picking a spot to target bows, preferable somewhere between Leavitt Park and Gilford beach (yea i know, pretty big area) We will be staying by shep browns in meredith so the closer to there the better. We've tried around loon island, pine island, the west side of bear island, and cattle landing for lakers and bows. Anybody have any suggestions? thanks

oh, and if you have any ice conditions for the area that would be awesome, thanks!

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: help finding rainbow spot
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:13 AM »
I would stick with Bear island, great spot and has some great bottom structure. Humps go from 15ft to 60ft, 20ft, 45ft. Fish the humps and lakers and bows will come. They go up on the flatts to feed on smelt. On the eastern side of bear island you can see big schools of smelt that they chase up.

Good luck where ever you end up.
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2010, 02:04 PM »
So what part of bear island should we be looking at? Is the east side better fishing than the west or is it just that you know there are smelt there? Im looking at a map and im seeing right at the middle of the island at the narrowest point it looks to be pretty shallow and have some flats. Is there where I want to go? Thanks again.

Anyone know the ice conditions around pine island, bear island an around that area? thanks

we're just looking to catch some fish. been ice fishing winni for something like 8 years now and have only caught 2 fish >:(

Offline Pautzke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:57 AM »
I think he is basically telling you that where the smelt are the trout won't be far behind.Smelt are a great forage fish for lakers and bows.

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:06 PM »
well we ended up fishing a small cove on bear island. it was protected from all wind and had a few inches of snow on it. fished in mostly 3-10 fow with salmon eggs and smelt and had a few out deeper with shiners. had 3 flags yesterday. 1 hit and run and 2 stole out bait  >:( 1 flag today landed a beautiful 16" rainbow nice healthy fish awesome colors there was no mistaking this fish for a salmon. thanks for the help guys

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.