Author Topic: No 8 Tackle Cold Gear Inline Ice Reel  (Read 22034 times)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: No 8 Tackle Cold Gear Inline Ice Reel
« Reply #30 on: Oct 20, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Just got mine from Fish USA $34.95 free shipping   Has a tension doo hickie on the side for adjusting the tension on the free fall, light and seems well made, cant wait to try!!  Drag can adjust from nothing to whatever u want seems smooth.

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Oct 21, 2014, 02:35 AM »
i bought a CGi, opened it up, and fiddled with it a bit.  To be perfectly honest, I should probably take it back and order another Dave Genz Ice Spooler Elite reel for $5 more ($39.99).  The CGi feels really weak and wobbly compared to the Genz reel.  I am going to keep it and rig it up on a pole I don't use as often, but if I had it to do over again, I would definitely buy another Genz Ice Spooler Elite reel. 

Offline LateSeason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 21, 2014, 05:18 AM »
Evers, that's kind of my impression of the CGI also. 
I should have jut gotten the 6061 reel that I had in my hands at the store. 

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Oct 21, 2014, 06:47 PM »
i bought a CGi, opened it up, and fiddled with it a bit.  To be perfectly honest, I should probably take it back and order another Dave Genz Ice Spooler Elite reel for $5 more ($39.99).  The CGi feels really weak and wobbly compared to the Genz reel.  I am going to keep it and rig it up on a pole I don't use as often, but if I had it to do over again, I would definitely buy another Genz Ice Spooler Elite reel.

Does the Dave Genz Ice Spooler Elite reel have a free spool feature?

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Oct 21, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Now that is what I call an equipment review by Stinkybaits.  Well done!

Offline jbuss79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Hey OldSailor, I have a free spinning in-line reel that I got last year and they're pretty alright as far as I'm concerned. The only issue I have is when I'm reeling up with no or very little weight on the end of the line. I just have to pay attention and put some tension on the line is all. I mentioned in a post in this thread earlier, but I think spending money on good line is more important

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Oct 21, 2014, 11:51 PM »
Have not seen one in person, but if I want to order one with the handle on the right side, do I order a right handed or left handed? I know that sounds stupid, but have ordered right handed rigs before and had the reel come on the left side. I am right handed, but love to reel with the right hand and run the rod with the left, if that makes sense.

Thanks for all of the reviews BTW.

Bring on the cold weather!
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Oct 22, 2014, 03:13 AM »
Does the Dave Genz Ice Spooler Elite reel have a free spool feature?
No it does not.  That is not a deal breaker in my book as i have become accustomed to back reeling my jigs or free handing them back down the hole.  After a little more fiddling, i do have to admit i was a little hard on the CGi reel initially.  I paired it up on a Wright and McGill rod, and spooled it up, and once it is all set up, it seems a little more solid than it initially did by itself in my hands.  without pulling a fish up a hole yet, i still have to say i am leaning toward my Genz Ice Spooler Elite, but the CGi isn't far behind now. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 22, 2014, 05:07 AM »
Have not seen one in person, but if I want to order one with the handle on the right side, do I order a right handed or left handed? I know that sounds stupid, but have ordered right handed rigs before and had the reel come on the left side. I am right handed, but love to reel with the right hand and run the rod with the left, if that makes sense.

Thanks for all of the reviews BTW.

Bring on the cold weather!
                                                       Order a right handed model, the handle will be on the right side!

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 PM »
                                                       Order a right handed model, the handle will be on the right side!

Thx Gills
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2014, 03:43 PM »
Thx Gills

If you thought it was a dumb questions Don't think it any more. I was going to ask the same thing.  Thanks for your question and the reply.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:01 PM »
What is the line capacity on the No. 8?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Very little instructions with the reel and states nothing about line capacity!

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:13 PM »
I've got the eagle claw last year. This is what I found. I've 50yrds of 2lb on mine now.

Inline Reel    ECILIRAS   Inline Reel       4+1    Smooth Teflon Drag    2.6:1    6 oz.    4/45, 2/210, 1/270
Inline Reel    ECILIR   Inline Reel       4+1    Smooth Teflon Drag    2.6:1    5.5 oz.    4/45, 2/210, 1/270

I'm a bit confused on the 4lb.

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:33 PM »
No info on the No. 8 stuff, but I did just buy a 23" UL Tickle Stick and a Black Betty 6061 and am very anxious to get them on the ice.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Oct 25, 2014, 07:21 AM »
Used the Tony Roach inline last year seemed OK. Just bought two N 8 CGI's . Put one on my 6'6 light spinning rod and was fishing 38 Ft water for perch,walleyes with 1/16 Oz jig. Free spool worked great although I had to feather the spool with my finger on the drop but it was much faster then stripping line off a spinning reel. Drag was much smoother then the Eagle Claw.
Oops! is too late.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Oct 25, 2014, 01:48 PM »
What is the line capacity on the No. 8?

I put it in the review.  It's the same size as the Eagle Claw reel so go with the specs of the Eagle Claw if you have one. If not I listed on page one. Thing to do though is load it up with however much line you'll think your going to use in a couple weeks. I use mine for crappie gills and perch so I put maybe 20 yards on at a time of 2lb pline. Then every couple trips just spool new on. If I was using braid it would probably be a different story would just change leader material out. The spool already has a large arbor so there's not much need for backing material unless you like even a larger area for holding line.

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Oct 25, 2014, 02:03 PM »
I'm on the fence on this reel. I want I want. But I want to use it for dead sticking and jigging. Does anyone have an estimated gurss on how much braid it would hold. 10lb? 20lb?

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #48 on: Oct 25, 2014, 02:21 PM »
I'm on the fence on this reel. I want I want. But I want to use it for dead sticking and jigging. Does anyone have an estimated gurss on how much braid it would hold. 10lb? 20lb?

I put a 50yd spool of 30/8# on mine the other day and it will hold more but that is all I wanted to spool on.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Oct 25, 2014, 03:20 PM »
I was checking out the suffix fuse ice braid. I comes in 75 yrds.  My next thought was to use my old PP surf line. I gotta respool those for next season.

Offline flatironfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Oct 25, 2014, 10:19 PM »
I'm probably going to kick myself in the rear for not getting one, but Gander Mountain is running a wicked sale on the Black Betty 6061 reel.  They have them for $49.99!!  I told myself, "no, you already bought the No 8 CGI, you don't need it!"  Crap, I'm regretting it already!!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline evers21g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:03 AM »
I'm probably going to kick myself in the rear for not getting one, but Gander Mountain is running a wicked sale on the Black Betty 6061 reel.  They have them for $49.99!!  I told myself, "no, you already bought the No 8 CGI, you don't need it!"  Crap, I'm regretting it already!!
Thanks for the head's up on that smokin deal.  cancelled an order on amazon and ordered one of these instead. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Oct 26, 2014, 05:54 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm going to order one just to have.  You can't beat this deal!!!!

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars." - Unknown

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #53 on: Oct 26, 2014, 08:53 AM »

Wow, that is a great price! The only regret I have is paying $99 last year...  :-\
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Oct 26, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Just for a heads up when ordering from Gander. If you are ordering just the reel, also add a Northland fish fry minnow jig ($.99) and then use the promotion code GMT5 ($5 off $50 order) that way you can save a little more money on the reel, and it ends up being under $50. And I originally ordered one, but seeing as lots of guys are saying that these reels are awesome, I broke down and ordered another one. So now I have two coming!

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Oct 26, 2014, 03:38 PM »
Just for a heads up when ordering from Gander. If you are ordering just the reel, also add a Northland fish fry minnow jig ($.99) and then use the promotion code GMT5 ($5 off $50 order) that way you can save a little more money on the reel, and it ends up being under $50. And I originally ordered one, but seeing as lots of guys are saying that these reels are awesome, I broke down and ordered another one. So now I have two coming!

I just did it!!  I don't really need the jig, but do you know how hard it is to find something for a buck just to get the free shipping?!  The promo code still works also, so with tax, I got a smoking deal on a 6061 and basically I got the jig for free!  Thanks for the info WolfPack!!   :thumbsup:

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Oct 26, 2014, 03:47 PM »

Wow, that is a great price! The only regret I have is paying $99 last year...  :-\

You know Bart, you CAN get another one!

Offline WNY D

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:01 PM »
What a deal on the 6061s.  They must be making way for the 2015 models.  That's fine with me....ordered two from GM at this price.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:20 PM »
I just did it!!  I don't really need the jig, but do you know how hard it is to find something for a buck just to get the free shipping?!  The promo code still works also, so with tax, I got a smoking deal on a 6061 and basically I got the jig for free!  Thanks for the info WolfPack!!   :thumbsup:

Tell me about not being able to find something for a buck! It took be 30 minutes just to find that jig. I searched everything from key chains to gun cleaning swabs, and just so happened to find that jig! I don't know of I'll ever use it either, but it was free and I got the reel for even cheaper, so I can't really complain much. Hopefully I like the reels.  ;D

Offline NEicebuster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Nov 01, 2014, 07:51 PM »
What is the best type of line to use on an inline reel for panfish? ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.