Author Topic: what power rod for 1/8 oz spoons ?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
what power rod for 1/8 oz spoons ?
« on: Sep 16, 2020, 01:33 PM »
I need some suggestions on what power rod  to get for fishing 1/8 oz  spoons , the length i would like is 28'' or so , any help appreciated .  THANKS

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: what power rod for 1/8 oz spoons ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2020, 02:01 PM »
Most likely Light. depending on what your catching. Might even go ultra light.
<===Lefty===

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2020, 02:38 PM »
As mentioned, it depends on what fish you are targeting. Perch/Walleyes with the occasional crappie I would go with a ML rod. If Im going mainly for walleyes, I would go ML or M

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2020, 12:04 AM »
In general, match the power of the rod to the size fish you are targeting, and the "action" or flex of the rod to the type of baits that you use and how you fish them.

One manufacturer's M can be anothers ML or MH, so it is difficult to answer such a broad question. If you have specific rod brands or models in mind, maybe asking which rod in those lines people recommend could help narrow your search.

Good luck.
Dan

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2020, 05:29 AM »
One manufacturer's M can be anothers ML or MH, so it is difficult to answer such a broad question. If you have specific rod brands or models in mind, maybe asking which rod in those lines people recommend could help narrow your search.
   👍🎣

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2020, 05:50 AM »
I just went out and picked up 2 Dock Runners by Ugly Stick.  Last year I sold my 30" Medium Heavy Ugly stick rods GX2 that were very sensitive and I would have called them more of a light rod. So when I got the 2 Dock Runners in Medium I expected pretty much a Light rod. They turned out to be more of a heavy rod to me. I will have to attach Spring bobbers to them or hold the line in my fingers. So like Defish stated, better to go out and test drive the rods your interested in. I can live with what I bought but someone else would have just returned them.
<===Lefty===

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:44 AM »
I hate soft rods.  Some people say they are more sensitive but I really doubt it because their softness does not transmit the tiny strikes to my hand.  Sure, the soft tip will bob up and down but the soft tip does not allow a quick penetration of the hook point.  I would opt for a fast action rod that is light.  The best I have used are made by St Croix.  I have a 36 inch PIR36MH that I just love.  It is very fast....even a bit stiff but, it's very light. I use it for big brook trout and smelt.  I also use it for deep salt water ocean perch.  28 inches is too short in my opinion.  I use very light reels on this rod and line from co-polymer 4 lb test to 10 lb test fusion or braided line.

Offline Tuma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2020, 12:42 PM »
I would suggest going to the store with a 1/8 oz jig tied to 4’ of line.  Then just start grabbing and playing with different rods.  When you find one that you like the feel of string the line thru and see if the rod reacts to the jig weight like you would like.  Don’t get caught up on the brand or what power it is labeled.  I like a light rod with a heavy butt so no matter what I snag I can get it in.  There are lots of cheap off the shelf options out there or you can go have one custom made for you.
TINY RODWORKS  custom rods and tackle

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2020, 11:07 PM »
I would prefer a L power rod.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2020, 02:48 PM »
I strongly agree with taking a box of your baits and a couple reels to a store and start checking out the rods. That way you know exactly how a rod will feel.   No self respecting store owner is going to object.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.