Author Topic: First ice?  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Beerman44

• IceShanty Rookie
First ice?
« on: Oct 30, 2017, 04:59 PM »
So there's been a topic out there "2017" that has been circling but not sure by the title if all interested ice addicts would read it. So thought I'd start off  a new one out there. The 10 day forecast is predicting cold temps starting this Sunday. Places like Mackay are looking to get pretty cold and if no wind, I am thinking it could get our ice fishing season started real soon. Preston down near Twin Lakes while not as cold as Mackay is predicting colder temps as well. My ice trip to Minnesota isn't until mid January so itching to get out there SOON! Anything within a weekend outing from Boise will be possible. I can't wait!

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: First ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2017, 09:18 PM »
I hear that. All the small creeks are freezing thru the nights. Getting cold in the mountains.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2017, 11:43 AM »
does anyone know how early montpelier reservoir usually freezes up? seems like this is gonna be another heavy snow year, so logically the best time to hit montpelier would be before the heavy snows come through and block access.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2017, 09:47 AM »
Preston area shows good temps early next week. Monday-Wed next week highs are right at 32-33 and lows in the teens. Hopefully the forecast holds and it continues to cool down further. Similar forecast for MacKay. Wouldn't be surprised if it cools down quick up there after that. The area around Magic Reservoir (Bellevue/Shoshone) shows some potential too. Maybe a few degrees warmer at night. Low 20s. But highs are also upper 30s. Trending in the right direction. Down in Rogerson (Salmon Falls Creek Res), they are also forecasted for highs in the low 30s and lows in the low 20s early next week.

Overall, good trends. I'm hopeful we will see some good cold snaps come through. I have fished on New Year's day the last two years (Salmon Falls and Twin Lakes). Also have a new finder scheduled to arrive today. So, really getting excited to use that bad boy (Humminbird ICE 35).

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2017, 11:57 AM »
last year there was 6" of ice on Twin Lakes a couple days before christmas. i'm hoping this year turns out the same.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2017, 02:05 PM »
last year there was 6" of ice on Twin Lakes a couple days before christmas. i'm hoping this year turns out the same.

Me too. Still plenty of time for it to happen too.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2017, 12:51 PM »
The Humminbird ICE 35 arrived in the mail yesterday. It felt like an early Christmas. I was so excited to open it up and get it running. Nice little unit. Lots of cool features for the price. Now I just need to get out on some ice!

Offline 405g

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:20 PM »
The Humminbird ICE 35 arrived in the mail yesterday. It felt like an early Christmas. I was so excited to open it up and get it running. Nice little unit. Lots of cool features for the price. Now I just need to get out on some ice!

You will like the HB 35 - they work great! The zoom feature is awesome.

Offline FishDoktor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:14 AM »
You will like the HB 35 - they work great! The zoom feature is awesome.

I was playing around with the zoom while in simulation mode. I have a feeling I will like it. I need to actually play with it on the ice though. It was weird trying to figure it out watching the simulation.

The 35 is actually my 2nd unit. I also have an original showdown that still works great (other than the noise button). It will be nice to have 2 so I can bring others along who would undoubtedly want to use my electronics when they see me catching all the fish. Haha.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.