Author Topic: *****Post your MANITOBA ice conditions here*****  (Read 6751 times)

Offline stiff rod

• IceShanty Rookie
*****Post your MANITOBA ice conditions here*****
« on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:18 AM »
I thought this would be a good thread to start where people could post their ice conditions and thickness.

I was out on Anton Lake close to Minnedosa yesterday for some trout.  The ice was about 6" thick.  

Offline J-Kap

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: *****Post your ice conditions here*****
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Doesn't look good for the locks this year. 

Starting to freeze but frazzle ice everywhere.

Offline sled dude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2010, 04:46 PM »
did you have any luck?

Offline stiff rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2010, 09:15 PM »
did you have any luck?

Nope...I went out in the afternoon for about an hour and a half.  It wasn't the best time of the day for trout.  From experience, they usually bite well in the morning and the bite tapers off by about 11am.  Never had much luck fishing for trout in the afternoon. 

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:04 PM »
Went to the cottage today , wide open water at Lac du Bonnet but at the cottage on lee river frozen right across, I walked out 200 feet with a steel bar and never poked through so it wont be long!
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline tbennett129

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010, 04:04 PM »
around 4 inches of ice at lyons lake. Caught 2 trout. Open water on the other side

Offline sled dude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:33 PM »
how long were you out for?

Offline BBB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2010, 06:00 AM »
Did you guys catch any perch at lyons lake? or just the two trout?

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Still open water below the dam at Lockport, there's a large area open on the East side, and the West side has flowing water fairly close to the concrete.  The ice looks really rough from the bridge.  Ice starts to form a bit farther north, and Stu's area has a pretty complete layer of ice, but personally, I wouldn't hazard going out on it just yet.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:36 PM »
what are the ice conditions like on the big lake?

Offline master instigator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:13 PM »
10 inches on Lake Winnipeg at Matlock.
Let's see...Ice shack, auger, snowmobile, rods, flasher, heater...My Walleye averages out to be $67.83 Per Lbs.

Offline jc2200

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2010, 07:51 PM »
have you been out at matlock yet?

Offline master instigator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Yep, today.
Let's see...Ice shack, auger, snowmobile, rods, flasher, heater...My Walleye averages out to be $67.83 Per Lbs.

Offline simpson boys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Red at locks dangerous frazzle. the blocks are 3-5 inches thick but the river is 9 FEET higher than it should be.
Spud bar broke through between chunks without a lot of force :o
It is going to break and re-break till the water is down. Water stewardship predicts regular water level not till after Christmas!! Looks like the big lake will see alot more holes drilled this year
a bad day fishing is better than the best day at work..unless you fish for a living.

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2010, 08:36 PM »
I thought this would be a good thread to start where people could post their ice conditions and thickness.

There's a whole section of the message board for that purpose, where people can find the conditions when they need them.

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:49 PM »
master instigater i m going to try out the big lake on tues just wondering if u walked out? im going to walk. how was the fishing? how far did u walk out? i think im going to try walking 1.5 to 2 miles.

Offline TURBO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2010, 01:05 AM »
master instigater i m going to try out the big lake on tues just wondering if u walked out? im going to walk. how was the fishing? how far did u walk out? i think im going to try walking 1.5 to 2 miles.

I was on the Big Lake today with 2 buddies. We all got our limits! Lots of Green Backs and Sauger swimming around. I didn't use anything special just a jig and salty. 1.5- 2 miles out you should be good, some frazzle and a couple pressure ridges have popped up at Matlock already. Water was still a bit murky but with 16"-18" of CLEAR ICE, you could watch the fish come up once hooked!

We did walk out, a couple brave souls did drive on, but backed right up when they got to the frazzle/ jagged ice sticking up 2 feet.

Plenty of people walking on from Werner Rd. and theres a plowed parking area by Chalet Beach.

Good luck!!!

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:12 AM »
THANKS TURBO!!!!!  Could not of had a better post.

Offline Popsicle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Yep, today.
Being a little tight lipped arn't you M I
A bad day at the lake still beats armchair fishing.

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:02 PM »
There's a whole section of the message board for that purpose, where people can find the conditions when they need them.

Well, you post your conditions in New York over there & we'll post the ones in Manitoba right here... how 'bout that  ;D ?
TC   

Offline eskimoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:19 PM »
lol

Offline stiff rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Well, you post your conditions in New York over there & we'll post the ones in Manitoba right here... how 'bout that  ;D ?

I don't assume that everyone is going to use this post all winter for Manitoba ice conditions, but if they do, then that's great.

On another note.  I was on Pybus Lake today.  Approximately 10-12" of ice there.  The fishing was pretty good too.  :)

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:08 AM »

Thats the one problem with National forum. I like to put "Manitoba" in the title if its a post that is for Manitoba, some people get it.

Offline topcat3820

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:34 AM »
some people get it.

But do you really have to specify that without some guy from New York coming on the Manitoba forum & chastising us for posting Manitoba conditions  ::)?

I don't go on the New York forum to find out the conditions on Minnewasta... maybe it's just me  ;D.
TC   

Offline tonebea

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:44 AM »
The point is other people are looking for ice condition and they go to the section that was created for ice conditions. Once this thread goes a couple days without new posts, no one that needs to know the conditions would find them. Why not use the boards as they were created to be used and everyone wins.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:26 AM »
But do you really have to specify that without some guy from New York coming on the Manitoba forum & chastising us for posting Manitoba conditions  ::)?

I don't go on the New York forum to find out the conditions on Minnewasta... maybe it's just me  ;D.

Actually, yes, if you post it here then someone in New York hits the "all unread posts since last visit" button, they see "*****Post your ice conditions here*****" and don't see that its a Manitoba thread, then they tell us about icefishing in New York. There is also often a problem when something like this happens;
 Someone wants to know locally which is better for our conditions a snowmobile or a quad, then the thread gets moved to "ice fishing transportation" and you hear from someone in Arkansas that a snowmobile is useless and a quad is the only way to go (note; not true for us here in Manitoba).

Tonebea; I looked for the Manitoba "section for ice conditions", I didn't see one. I noticed most States have one but no Provinces.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2010, 04:13 PM »
In this debate, in which both sides are right, TopCat has the best answer, "Manitoba" should be included in the title because these messages are read throughout the website, and can lead to confusion in other provinces or states.  The author of the original posting can easily amend the title by going back to his original post, hitting the "Modify" button, and adding "Manitoba" to the title.

Sled-in - -  I don't know why we don't have a section for "Ice Conditions", unless it's because once we get ice, we get a lot of it.  Probably a post like stiff rod's is adequate for the short period of ice formation in most Canadian areas (??)  A lot of the states only get good ice for a few weeks or a month at most, and knowledge of conditions to them may be critical for any fishing at all.
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Well said Skiff  ;D
Hope to see you out there this year....it's been awhile!
Blue Igloo

Offline jc2200

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:25 PM »
so, enough of this rigamamole  ::), how are current ice conditions? was hoping to make it out to LWPG this sunday...

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:51 PM »
so, enough of this rigamamole  ::), how are current ice conditions? was hoping to make it out to LWPG this sunday...
10 -12 inches of ice. Be prepared to walk unless you have a sled or quad. Some areas of frazzle ice is keeping bigger trucks off as reported to me today by a person that was there this morning.
Stay safe.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.