Author Topic: Frabil round tip ups  (Read 3188 times)

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • when in doubt go ice fishing
Frabil round tip ups
« on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:20 AM »
Just bought new frabil thermal tip ups. Bought some years ago where the flags laid flat and worked well. Bought the new ones online and didnt realize they changed design. Flag sits on an angle and you get alot of wind flags. Anyone else have thesr and have you done anything to fix the issue?
ice fishing for life

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Frabil round tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:42 AM »
Most round tip ups are no bueno. The inability to remove the round "cover", the short flags, the crappy plastic, all add up to possibly the worst tip ups out there. Especially the ones with the plastic trip mechanism.
-Tom

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Ive never had an issue with the old ones used them for 10 years with not one issue
ice fishing for life

Offline Paulklug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Hey Pikemaster.  You have to push down the spool when you set them up.  Then the flag wont sit so high.  Sometimes they are really sticky and hard to push down but they definitely go down.  I hate the new models, but loved the older models with the cork on the bottom of the spool.

Offline Jfraze10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2017, 02:33 PM »
^^^

Definitely have to push them down it makes a huge difference.

I had two older style frabills that the spinners were failing on me. I contacted Frabill for new parts and they emailed with me back and forth asked for pictures etc and within a couple weeks they said parts were in the mail. In a few days I received two brand new orange round tip ups. I really was just hoping for the parts. Excellent customer service!! A+

the first couple times I pushed mine down I felt like I was going to break them but they eventually will move and will become easier to move up and down the more you use them.

Offline pikemaster0607

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Ill give it a shot guys thanks couldnt pass up the price dicks had them for 10 bucks
ice fishing for life

Offline Baystateangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2017, 10:43 PM »
Ill give it a shot guys thanks couldnt pass up the price dicks had them for 10 bucks
good deal, I grabbed two!

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:00 AM »
The first generation Frabills worked extremely well for me. Won't even touch the new stuff.  Had one last less than 1 full season.

Found 3 of the old style on Craigslist, and using them now.

My first Frabill was hit by a snowmobile the first year of use.  Still used it for close to 10 years.....

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2017, 04:41 PM »
I'm glad I picked up a few of the round wooden Beaver Dam ones two years ago.  I got two 12" and one 10".  I see they went to plastic ones now.  I had two kids ride over one of my round BD's on their snowmobiles this year.  The spindle was bent on top and I had a minor scuff mark on the surface.  I was able to bend the spindle back by hand while using a pliers just below the bend.  It spins near perfect.  I also place my round tip-ups on the round foam disks, but I have no desire to use the plastic ones regardless of who their made by.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2017, 07:42 AM »
The first generation Frabills worked extremely well for me. Won't even touch the new stuff.  Had one last less than 1 full season.

Found 3 of the old style on Craigslist, and using them now.

My first Frabill was hit by a snowmobile the first year of use.  Still used it for close to 10 years.....

Before Frabill bought the rights to them, a company here in SE WI called Reinhart Engineering made them and they were freaking amazing. Nothing froze, your holes stayed open. The components were better. They were actually sealed all the way around, there was no styrofoam on the bottoms. As soon as Frabill bought them, quality went straight down the pooper imho. And each year that followed quality has gotten worse and worse. They are decent for warmer weather fishing where snow isn't going to cover them, but I stopped wasting my money on them years ago.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2017, 11:21 AM »
didnt realize they changed design. Flag sits on an angle and you get alot of wind flags. Anyone else have thesr and have you done anything to fix the issue?

Try the rubeer band trick seen in  this photo  I double the line  threw the bead.. i also hang rubber band on tip up eye and run line threw eye..  line was  just was left out so you could see how to hang rubbe band.. by the way use thin to thick rubber bands for different tensions for large to small bait .. alsI the rubber band sets hook so keep that in mind to hurry to tip up.. it's basically a automatic hook set.. here is a older picture of the rubber band trick I did many years ago..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.