Author Topic: WE DID IT!! 4'th Annual Team CT Outing 2/12/12 - Bigelow Hollow Pond  (Read 11721 times)

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: BACK ON??: 4'th Annual Team CT Outing 2/12/12 - Bigelow Hollow
« Reply #120 on: Feb 11, 2012, 11:12 PM »
Was there any snow up there today. I wanna bring my skates
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline Perfect Hook Set

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A true Lie
« Reply #121 on: Feb 12, 2012, 03:59 PM »
The flags were flying and so were the chairs sleds and any thing else the wind could take....

Watch them run, watch them slide, the anglers are in a race to catch there gear.

A lot of people showed up, every one seemed to have a good time.The wind was killer!
Next time you go to cwood let me know how many fish you didnt catch.

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #122 on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:16 PM »
The wind was having too much fun with my wind tip ups, if it wasn't so windy I would've stayed out there for a couple more hours. Didn't catch anything but I had a good time and got out.

Offline RickC

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #123 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Yup! Had a good time today people and congrats Ravo  :clap:

The wind was having too much fun with my wind tip ups, if it wasn't so windy I would've stayed out there for a couple more hours. Didn't catch anything but I had a good time and got out.

Velcro, I don't know if anyone has ever told you this before but, in order to prevent "Wind Ups" set up your tip ups so the wind is blowing the flag INTO the trip mechanism.  Haven't had a wind up for a long, long time and even as windy as it was today, not one flag went up, by either fish, chair  or wind  :(

Trooper Bri

« Reply #124 on: Feb 12, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Had a great time hanging out with the crew today. Windy as hell, cold, and hardly a fish caught, but a whole lot better than sitting inside.
My back is bit screwed up, so I was just spectating.

Thanks as always to Gary and Blaine @ Connecticut Outfitters for bringing a ton of bait, and the sneak attack raffle prize, and some chow to warm the troops! Turnout was far better than expected. I figured 20 would have been the limit considering the lousy season, but over 40 showed.

Congrats to Ravo for the win! He was asking around first thing this morning for a spark plug socket as his auger wouldn't start. Won't need a spark plug with the IceGator!

I'll get up a couple more pics later or tomorrow.

Offline gboutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:06 PM »
A sincere Thanks to all the IS FAITHFUL who showed up to brave the wicked wind!  All in all we counted about 45 guys, gals and kids.  This was a GREAT event, considering how cruel the season has been to Hardwater enthusiasts.  There were plenty of flags and some of them were actually fish!  The ice was anywhere from 8 at the launch to 4, with some open areas down near the dam.  The fire pit really did the trick, but the pop up has seen it's last event thatnks to a cranking gust that twisted it up like "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore toto".  I hope everyone enjoyed the soup, sounds like you did.  Also thanks to everyone who fed me food I shouldn'tve eaten like kielbasa and other sausages, and kraut, and scallops and bacon and shrimp, da da da da da.....
Big congratulations to ravohimself who won the FREE RAFFLE. Funny how things work out...This kid shows up I never met before in the morning and gets some shiners and heads way out to the north end.  A while later he shows back up at home base "My auger won't start, I think its broke"  I say "I have an auger and lets go drill you some holes" So we do and he fished.  Turns out that was Ravo and he won the Ice Gator Electric Power head! 

Brian, I need that Apple Pie recipe, its way better than anything my mom ever made ;)
Thanks again to everyone for showing up and making this a great day.  SOrry to all you out there who missed it! There is always next year.
Don't Just Sit There, GET OUT!
gary brummett, owner
Connecticut Outfitters
512 Silas Deane Hwy
Wethersfield, CT 06109

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #126 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:28 PM »
had a great time today and met some really cool people. thanks gary for drilling my holes... oh yeah. and for letting me take that nice new auger off your hands  ;D ;) cant wait to try it out. didnt catch anything but the wind. luckily i had my skates so i could catch all my gear when it blew away. all in all i had  a great day. cant believe i missed that soup though. can't wait till the next outing!!  ;D  :tipup:

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline dmhawks93

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:29 PM »
The flags were flying and so were the chairs sleds and any thing else the wind could take....

Watch them run, watch them slide, the anglers are in a race to catch there gear.

A lot of people showed up, every one seemed to have a good time.The wind was killer!

haha yea,  i was one of the victims running after stuff.

It really was a great day,  and  a big thank you to everyone who made this happen!
i fish because i can

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #128 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:29 PM »
heres a few pictures i took early on

6 1/2"

my new toy

thanks for the great time everyone

-Ryan-

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Feb 12, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Congrats Ravo!

I'm sorry work got in the way of me attending today. The outings are always a great time, fish or no fish.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Trooper Bri

« Reply #130 on: Feb 12, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Wish you could have made it too Frank. No houses, no fish, and evil wind was like being on a mini-Winchester. ;) We had a guy who had been fishing Mashapaug stop by when he saw all the cars and was amazed how much less the wind was on the pond.  :o
And I only had to drive 40 minutes. This is one of the closer lakes to me, I should try it one of these years...

Here's a few more pics the crew spread out:

Up by the islands.

South end of the pond that was open. Deeper waters I'm sure would have been fished.

Looking out from Camp Outfitters.

Standing around the fire telling tales.

Offline P.Dona

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><((((º> Bring on the ice!!
Looks like a great outing, wish I could have made it.    Next year !
  Good luck with that Gator !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline relliknomlas

• IceShanty Rookie
 Ya had a good time I just started ice fishing, and it was my second time on the ice still haven't caught anything but that's why it's called fishing and not catching . It was nice meeting Ravo and Gary, congratulations on the ice gator Ravo. Two thumbs up to Connecticut Outfitters for putting it all together, now I know where to go when I need help and believe you me I need a lot.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.. Benjamin Franklin

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #133 on: Feb 13, 2012, 11:49 PM »
Yup! Had a good time today people and congrats Ravo  :clap:

Velcro, I don't know if anyone has ever told you this before but, in order to prevent "Wind Ups" set up your tip ups so the wind is blowing the flag INTO the trip mechanism.  Haven't had a wind up for a long, long time and even as windy as it was today, not one flag went up, by either fish, chair  or wind  :(

That would cut down on the wind flags. My main problem was the wind turning my tipups into skates, I didn't have enough snow or even slush to anchor them. The kind of tipups I was using the only part that goes in the hole is the line ( http://www.tipup.net/ ) nice tipups but yesterday was not the best day for them. Someone suggested using a drill to make little holes for the legs in the ice and I think I'll try that next time. Hopefully there will be one more chance on the ice this year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.