Author Topic: Snow on New Ice, safe?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snow on New Ice, safe?
« on: Dec 16, 2022, 11:02 AM »
Hello,

Last weekend two of my spots locked up and then we had days that hit 30 and nights in the low teens.   I think I am going to find that we have enough ice to fish on it, but tonight we are going to get 5-10 inches of wet snow.    Should that change my confidence in the ice or should 3.5-4 inches of black ice be good enough even with heavy snow sitting on top of it?

Thanks,

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snow on New Ice, safe?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2022, 11:12 AM »
A chisel is your friend.

Even if the sheet is good, if you got that much sloppy snow on top the edges are probably going to be iffy/spotty.

Offline Scupbaron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2022, 11:18 AM »
It probably fine if theres 3.5" -4" black ice underneath the snow BUT the ice gonna sink with that much snow on top and gonna be like cement walking through ...plan on setting up where dont have to walk far cause gonna be a b***h dragging any gear

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2022, 11:37 AM »
I’d say “cautious” not confident!
Too many variables to consider on so little ice. If you decide to chance it, my advice would be to spud, spud and spud some more! Definitely changes the calculation.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2022, 11:47 AM »
I would take the advise of the others - always spud/chisel your way out.  That much snow on new ice is going to cause it to sag.  New ice can be unpredictable even if its black ice with that much snow on it. 

Not worth falling in to leave the chisel behind.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline BomoBrown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2022, 12:05 PM »
My spud is already in the car.

Offline Nitz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2022, 12:52 PM »
If you decide to go - I agree with others, take and use a spud bar.  It is too easy to leave the spud in the truck when you arrive and you see others out.  There is no way to know what kind of ice they are on nor how cautious they are being.  Check a few YouTube videos out if you are unfamiliar with how to properly use a spud bar.

Moreover from the weight, the snow layer is an effective layer of insulation b/t the relatively warm water and the cold air.  It will hinder any further ice production (and can even help erode what is already there).

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2022, 01:03 PM »
Conditions change ...especially at first ice...thin ice and snow can be a downfall to producing more ice ..wet snow even worse ...on another note some snow pack can add inches atop some ice ...but this too needs to be accessed with caution as its not true ice and could hide layers of slush ...ice ...hard pack  . Safety first should be paramount ..spud/chisel ,ice picks,buddy system with throw rope and float suit are the gear to use before even thinking about your first hole .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2022, 01:36 PM »
To reiterate…there is no such thing as SAFE ICE!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2022, 01:45 PM »
To reiterate…there is no such thing as SAFE ICE!

This is true, there is only risk mitigation.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2022, 03:33 PM »
safe ice is in my drinking cup  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2022, 05:02 PM »
check as you go, use a chisel, wear ice picks, etc, etc.

if it's crap where you are, drive north or wait a few days

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2022, 05:05 PM »
safe ice is in my drinking cup  ;)

Not safe!!!
You could choke on a cube!!!!  :whistle:

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2022, 05:53 PM »
use a spud and wear your your icepicks

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2022, 06:01 PM »
wear your float suit too! If you're asking here, you're somewhat of a newbie. if no float coat, wear a life jacket under your jacket

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2022, 06:31 PM »
If you know that there is a minimum of 3.5 inches of black ice, even a foot of snow on that is not going to add enough weight to make it less safe than it was without the snow. I don't know the exact math but I think 1 cubic foot of wet snow should weigh about 20 pounds. A person standing still occupies roughly 1 square foot of area, so if you add the snow's weight, with my assumption that it is 20 pounds per square foot, to your own weight then that is what the ice needs to support.

So, the question becomes simpler for you - if you were 20 pounds heavier than you are and there was no snow covering this ice, would you still feel safe on it ? I weigh 170 and have complete confidence in the safety of 3 inches of black ice, as long as it is consistent thickness where I venture. I do admit though that in my older age I do have a life vest on when the ice is less than 4 inches, until I have my tipup spread all figured out and only after that will I take off the life vest, as long as I stay within the spread I have already walked on.

Final point - if you are fishing with other people on less then 4 inches of ice, have a conversation ahead of time that you will not be standing closer than 10 feet from one another.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2022, 07:14 PM »
Not safe!!!
You could choke on a cube!!!!  :whistle:

Not the big cubes, but more likely on the little beady shards that are large pill sized.  :o
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2022, 07:06 AM »
Snow is a insulator. A frozen lake , fresh water , is 39 degrees just under the ice , snow will actually cause the ice to melt from the bottom up , especially if the air temp is marginal for ice making . Adding to the fact you can’t see the ice anymore, you must be very cautious & drill / spud your way out & in

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 18, 2022, 09:45 AM »
Good points by all, snow always changes my tactics on ice. Even more so on early or late season ice. It takes away one of your best ice evaluation tools, your eyes! Just to recap, spud everywhere and often. Wear a float coat or PFD if you have them. Once set up only walk where your own tracks have been. Always try to fish with a buddy. Hope everyone has a safe ice season. ;)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2022, 10:03 AM »
Good points by all, snow always changes my tactics on ice. Even more so on early or late season ice. It takes away one of your best ice evaluation tools, your eyes! Just to recap, spud everywhere and often. Wear a float coat or PFD if you have them. Once set up only walk where your own tracks have been. Always try to fish with a buddy. Hope everyone has a safe ice season. ;)

Do a search for "Keyhole" Wyoming ice rescue.  Early ice with snow on it.  2 atvs thru, 2 people dead.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/12/16/two-men-on-rescue-mission-fell-thru-ice-at-keyhole-reservoir-havent-been-found/
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 18, 2022, 10:29 AM »
Do a search for "Keyhole" Wyoming ice rescue.  Early ice with snow on it.  2 atvs thru, 2 people dead.

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/12/16/two-men-on-rescue-mission-fell-thru-ice-at-keyhole-reservoir-havent-been-found/
Those are always tough stories to read. Ice fishing is my favorite hobby but nobody should be dying for it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.