The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Time to start thinking about ice fishing for walleye and perch on the Bay!  (Read 4470 times)

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Temps are dropping. Thinking about getting my quad ready. Looking at my rod bag, thinking that I should put new line on some of my favorite rods. Hmmm.... Are my batteries charged for the old X67C's (both of them)? Are the hammer drill batteries and the auger blades ready on the Clam plate? I KNOW I've still got a lot of lures and jigs that have yet to be used, but do I have enough plastics? The right colors, sizes, materials? What's new this year? Are the ice fishing magazines out yet?

So much to do, so little time.  ;D

:icefish: :tipup: :whistle:

Edit: I Forgot! I need to check the shanty to see if the mice have been busy this year. I found chipmunks in the garage this summer.  :-\

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
All I want is a good solid ice season.  What I get so tired of every single year is we have good ice, then reports out that the ice is bad.  Next week its good again.  Following week bag.   I want another polar vortex like we had back in 2013 where its safe ice for a long time.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
I did not fish one time through the ice last season.
Felt like not even calling myself an IceFisherman!
Went as far, as considering, selling all my stuff.
Next thing I know I bought a New Polaris side by side, and started thinking about fishing all over again.
Needed to figure out how to get the Ranger and my big Shanty to the lake, and then bought an enclosed trailer.
Guess Im not done fishing yet?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
I did not fish one time through the ice last season.
Felt like not even calling myself an IceFisherman!
Went as far, as considering, selling all my stuff.
Next thing I know I bought a New Polaris side by side, and started thinking about fishing all over again.
Needed to figure out how to get the Ranger and my big Shanty to the lake, and then bought an enclosed trailer.
Guess Im not done fishing yet?

Isn't that crazy what we buy - just to catch a fish lol.

My wife and I are this close to purchasing a brand new snowmobile...which most likely will lead to a new trailer...and im sure enclosed trailers will be a topic of discussion....then I'll find SOME way to make sure its enclosed....$$$$$$ all to catch a fish lol.  But its soooo fun!

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
All I want is a good solid ice season.  What I get so tired of every single year is we have good ice, then reports out that the ice is bad.  Next week its good again.  Following week bag.   I want another polar vortex like we had back in 2013 where its safe ice for a long time.

Just saw an article today on FB that says the polar vortex is starting to take shape but who knows.  Certainly not the weather forecasters as it seems they're wrong more often than correct. 
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
which bay are you speaking of?
:icefish:

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pretty sure he's talking about the Saginaw Bay.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline SkiSoloII

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
which bay are you speaking of?

Saginaw Bay for me! New (to me) 2-up this year. The quad is too limiting.

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oops missed another 1,no wait ahh FEEL it
Snitch keep us Hoosiers updated on the Progress of SAG BAY.
Fished 2 years ago up there and had a blast.
We'll be coming back for more if possible.

Ron
Coopason

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saginaw Bay for me! New (to me) 2-up this year. The quad is too limiting.

Me too!  Tired of 4 wheeler having to stay home when the snow got too deep.  New snowmobile as of 2 weeks ago.  Mother nature better not let us down.

Offline coopason

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oops missed another 1,no wait ahh FEEL it
Will do Snitch
Coopason

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
OMG, if your still a Lion's fan, you certainly don't have to worry about Mother Nature "letting you down"!  I switched teams about 6 years ago.  Never look back! Please don't get me started on the Lion's, they're BUMS.

Yes they are!!  Terrible!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Saying its time to start thinking about it implies that at some point i stopped.... Which i have not... Lol.... I am so dang excited to get out there its silly... Last year was a bust.... Hoping this year is banner
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
The formation seems slow but as long as it stays once its here ill be happy. Just let winter be winter

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
We can’t wait to go too!

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
We haven’t luck 3-4 years for crappie and gill on hardy. Bad timing, wrong area??? I have no idea!  We live about 20-25 to get to big bend, we have to go around the dam.

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
I need to find out more about how and where to fish Saginaw Bay and the Saginaw River.  I live in Grand Haven and typically fish Muskegon Lake and we are always looking for other options to catch both walleye and perch.  So if the winter weather actually work this year, hopefully we will have a chance to try these area.  So any infor would be appreciated 

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
You must be over more toward Lincoln rd.  We go over there to a small bar/restaurant, across from a corner store, for some great food.  Can't remember the names, lol.  And, I we fish out by the island near the Big Bend office building for gills and go across the lake for crappies and eyes.  We usually find them in about 30fow.

Actually I was raised on Lincoln rd lol. That’s in Stanwood. We live in Howard city. You may be thinking driftwood inn or the cozy inn(which was just little before you cross the dam, which got tore down and now a gas station.
 Yeah that’s the usual spots but haven’t been anything there last few years. I don’t know what happened or changed?

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you very much for the information about fishing both the Saginaw River and the Bay!  Any recommendations of lures and techniques for both of these areas.  On Muskegon Lake, we fish a lot of jigging Rapalas (mostly size 3 and 5) and sweedish pimples (size 5 and 7) both tipped with shinner mionnows for walleyes and pike (25 - 35 feet deep).  As for perch we are fishing deep water (40 to 70 feet deep) and use a lot of double hook rigs (perch pounders and spring rigs) baited with shinners, wax worms or wigglers.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I need to find out more about how and where to fish Saginaw Bay and the Saginaw River.  I live in Grand Haven and typically fish Muskegon Lake and we are always looking for other options to catch both walleye and perch.  So if the winter weather actually work this year, hopefully we will have a chance to try these area.  So any infor would be appreciated 
we have ice on the river this year you just shoot me a message i live 20 minutes away... If there is safe ice on sag river ill be on it!

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
Doeslayer is good dude to fish with!

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
East side? Or west?
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There was a couple guys on a marina i went by on the west side... Shore looked like crap but they had a flipover set up and there was 3 dudes out there... West side.... Im not saying where because ice isnt safe out there im not sending anyone to their death.... Be safe guys i know last year sucked bit i have the faith we are gonna have a decent year... Dont get anxious

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Brian for the report. I'm responsible for my own actions, just asking where ice is forming because we haven't had a good satellite pic in a while. Maybe I need to take a trip to northwoods so then I have an excuse to go for a cruise along the bay.  ::)
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.