The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Done  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Done
« on: Mar 01, 2020, 02:50 PM »
Ran a few tipups today with no flags to officially end my ice fishing season. Putting the gear away tomorrow. I did have a very successful season though...refilled the freezer with a bunch of gills and in the past 2 weeks found a lake that produces some very nice perch ( in the memory bank for next year). For those that are going to continue some late ice action...BE CAREFUL! ...ice goes out faster than it comes in. Time to get ready for Walleye on the Detroit River and morel hunting.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Done
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2020, 03:11 PM »
Yeah im digging the boat out for steelhead.icefished last night but shore ice was crap.ive put alot of gear away and left a rod and bucket out just in case the ice holds on.but its safer in a boat fishing for chromers than walking on sketch ice.i did not do very good with panfish this year but did good on smelt so its all good.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Tonight will be my final Smelt trip for the year. ended up getting in more trips than I planned, & got to meet up w/ quite a few shanty members this year.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:12 PM »

Ended my hardwater season a week ago.... Been after these river fish lately
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:17 PM »
Nice sucker. How much did it weigh?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Not sure but it was 26 inches so id guess about 8-9 lbs... Would have been a master angler if i had bothered to go that route.... I though she had a 10+ pound walleye on.... I told her if she catches a 30 before i do im pushing her in lol... Had a pike maybe 40" bite me off yesterday.... Ive never felt power like that.... On 8 lb mono i was just along for the ride lol

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:30 PM »
Not sure but it was 26 inches so id guess about 8-9 lbs... Would have been a master angler if i had bothered to go that route.... I though she had a 10+ pound walleye on.... I told her if she catches a 30 before i do im pushing her in lol... Had a pike maybe 40" bite me off yesterday.... Ive never felt power like that.... On 8 lb mono i was just along for the ride lol

Very fun indeed!
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:49 PM »
I hear the fat lady singing. After this coming weeks forecast. I aired out the shanty and started putting ice stuff away. It's time to get the pier rods oiled and line up the reels. It was an ok and short hard water season.  :'( .Till next season stay safe.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2020, 12:53 AM »
Yup. It’s that time of year again. I called my season on Feb. 29. I like to fish a small but deep spring fed lake in my area. Went out at day break and by 11am the ice was beginning to act like styrofoam. With how the weather was this season, it should however make for a some fantastic ice-out conditions for the long rod!  :tipup:
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline swidnica

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2020, 12:54 AM »
     I caught about 16 fish this ice season and went out maybe 20 times  .  I'm ready for night time top water fishing for bass ,

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2020, 05:46 AM »
Gunflint is hoping for one last weekend in mid-March.

Even Minnesota is warming up a little. Lake Trout season ends the end of March.

Then on to soft-water.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2020, 06:04 AM »
I got 13 days left to crush river eyes then its all closed til last sat in april.... Might take a crack at spawning perch after that

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2020, 06:16 AM »
Odd thing about far northern Minnesota is that fairly often the ice is not even off the lakes I fish by opener (around May 15). We stop Ice Fishing in March because the season stops, not because of lack of ice.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2020, 06:24 AM »
I got 13 days left to crush river eyes then its all closed til last sat in april.... Might take a crack at spawning perch after that

Isn't the Detroit River open year round?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2020, 06:41 AM »
My season normally ends march 15 regardless because pike and walleye season closes.but this year im quitting early because we didnt get the quality of ice like years past.its all white with maybe a inch or 2 of clear ice.so the warm up will eat it up fast.now if it was 5” of clear i would be fishing.its out there still but not on any of my local lakes.it doesnt matter im a hardcore fisherman and fish all year around.its steelhead time and then catching suckers for monster catfish bait.detroit river walleyes..maybe some bass fishing

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2020, 07:18 AM »
I saw 3 boats fishing in the Detroit River yesterday.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2020, 11:02 AM »
Isn't the Detroit River open year round?
i only have a little 14' flatbottom boat i meant flint/saginaw river walleye... Idk if i would take my boat into the detroit madhouse

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2020, 02:48 PM »
I’m still planning a couple days out on hard ice around the 11th of March. Northern mi. Keep my fingers crossed. I bet it will still be good . 13” of ice yesterday mostly clear.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2020, 04:11 PM »
Well I digress. A buddy has "convinced" me to give it one more go this weekend. Heading north a couple of days...BUT THAT'S IT!!! 😉

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2020, 04:56 PM »
This weekend is it for me too.
Will be on Intermediate Lake, fishing will be a secondary as it's with buddy's from Tennessee.  Mostly tip ups watched from the cabin.
Not a great season this year with such late ice, but caught fish everytime out with a couple good days.
I don't stop steelhead from fishing late Oct thru April, but slow done during ice time.
I fish the White R tomorrow as I tend to until March 15th, occasional giant eye bites.
Then the PM or Muskegon
Till then
Tight lines

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2020, 08:59 PM »

Morning fish ^^^
Evwning fish vvv

Pure michigan

Offline mcflyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2020, 09:49 PM »
My ice season ended today.   I took home a limit of crappies, so that was a good ending.   I am going to chase cotton tails for the rest of the month.  My beagle is getting fat.  Then garden season starts for me.  It's been a fine season for me.   Like most, I'd like to have been able to start sooner.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:09 AM »

Was cold morning on the saginaw river 1 20" walleye and 1 23" channel catfish...

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2020, 03:28 AM »
I lied, got out one more time on March 7th. Lost a real nice something. Now I need a boat...
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2020, 09:13 AM »
Not done yet. Fat lady dang down state!! Still lots of ice in the north

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2020, 08:45 AM »
0-8” on big Platte right now.so anything from kayak to snowmobile!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.