Author Topic: Help, hole in my shack  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
Help, hole in my shack
« on: Oct 05, 2007, 07:59 PM »
I have a nice frabill ranger one man.   Wonderful shack, but on the last day I was out with it, I got my latern a little close to the ceiling and melted a hole in it. >:(   THe hole is about 4" around.   I know I have seen some patches that are water proof on the net, like an epoxy set up or iron on  ???   But I can no longer find them.  I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions ???    I am not much of a seamstress and neither is my wife...

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help, hole in my shack
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2007, 10:39 PM »
  Get some double sided outdoor carpet tape and a piece of canvas patch. The tape does a good job.

Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2007, 10:55 PM »
They make a repair kit for the fabric style chest waders, comes with about 10 square inches of fabric and the cement to do the repair. this might work if you don't mind the color. most of the ones I have seen are green or brown. :tipup:

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2007, 12:15 AM »
Thank you  ;D ;D

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2007, 06:51 AM »
Go to the local canvas shop and get an estimate. I think you will find it pretty reasonable for the quality of repair you will get.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2007, 08:04 AM »
Clam sends out repair/patch kits for free, If you dont mind a little bit of blue you can order one from them,

Offline Iceline

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2007, 09:01 PM »
This will cost about $20.00 but it will last forever.

3M makes all types of spray adhesives. Go to you local hardware story and buy the type that best fits your fabric. The patch is best if its the same type of fabric your hut is made of. Cut the patch an inch or so bigger the the area it needs to cover. Tape of the surrounding area where the patch is to be applied. Shake the can well and spray the adhesive on both the patch and the area to which it is going to be applied to. Let set until tacky then firmly set the patch. What i did at this point was take a small piece of plywood and put it at the underside of the patch then rub the patch on real good. Let it dry well and do the underside if need be.

I had a homemade hut out of canvas. Mice got in it and made home for the summer. I had small holes all over the hut and this  is how I fixed mine. I used it for another 5 years before I bought my new hut. My old hut still lives today on Silver Lake NY. Gave it to a friend.

Good luck fixing your hut.

Even eminent chartered accountants are known, in their capacity as fishermen, blissfully to ignore differences between seven and ten inches, half a pound and two pounds, three fish and a dozen fish.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2007, 12:42 AM »
Those people at 3M make some amazing stuff.   

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2007, 10:43 AM »
Back in the late 70's in northern minn. you could buy Tehr-Greze [I think that's the spelling] which was amazing for patching the old oiled duck canvass. Anyone know if it's still available? That was just about the time the blue tarps were getting popular, so I have no idea what that did to the manufacturer
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2007, 03:46 PM »
Same thing happened with my Frabill XLTwin.  I contacted frabill customer service and sent me a 10x10 patch material/ice armor for five bucks.......They said to patch both sides of the hole and fuse with "fabric glue".  Hope this helps........If its worth doing something its worth doing some right........Thats my motto

Cant even tell there was a hole there!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2007, 03:52 PM »
Back in the late 70's in northern minn. you could buy Tehr-Greze [I think that's the spelling] which was amazing for patching the old oiled duck canvass. Anyone know if it's still available? That was just about the time the blue tarps were getting popular, so I have no idea what that did to the manufacturer
here ya go!   For its first forty years, this unique bonding formula carried the equally unique name of "Tehr-Greeze". This name came from Val Cismoski's phonetic take-off on the Polish word for tiger (TYGRYS). In Val's eyes, Tehr-Greeze® held like a tiger, which it did and still does.

In the early 1970s, Val could see that more and more consumers were becoming aware of this industrial and commercially successful bonding formula and that a more user-friendly name should be incorporated. In 1978 it was decided that this miracle in a bottle would be re-branded as Tear Mender™.

For its first forty years, this unique bonding formula carried the equally unique name of "Tehr-Greeze". This name came from Val Cismoski's phonetic take-off on the Polish word for tiger (TYGRYS). In Val's eyes, Tehr-Greeze® held like a tiger, which it did and still does.

In the early 1970s, Val could see that more and more consumers were becoming aware of this industrial and commercially successful bonding formula and that a more user-friendly name should be incorporated. In 1978 it was decided that this miracle in a bottle would be re-branded as Tear Mender™.

http://www.tearmender.com/
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2007, 08:31 PM »
 Tear Mender is sold @ Fleet Farm it's in the same area as the tarps, a super product works great! Your are from Wisconson so you can't be very far from a Fleet Farm store.
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2007, 09:04 PM »
Actually about 45 miles, but a Farm and Fleet is about 3 miles.   Not sure if it is there or not.   Wil be asking tomorrow. I actually need a canvas repair done also, this looks to be the hot tip.     Thanks to everyone for the help.  Lots of good info.     Sven

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.