Author Topic: looking for jig making tips  (Read 1288 times)

Offline gudkatch

• IceShanty Rookie
looking for jig making tips
« on: Dec 20, 2003, 03:41 PM »
I just purchased some ice blades to make my own jigs.  I know that jigs are inexpensive but what the heck you cant fish till theres safe ice anyway.  I have solder with a flux core and Im using a butane pencil torch but the lead is not flowing onto the blade properly.  Iv tryed working on a wood and metal surface and also Im using a small pair of hackel pliers to hold the hook(smaller heat sink)  Does anyone know whats happening?  
If a dog is man's best friend then a fish has to be man's best chum!

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
Re:looking for jig making tips
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2003, 06:59 PM »
gudkatch
Even though your useing a flux core solder add soldering flux to the blade. Also your solder migh have too much tin try 50/50 or try melting a couple ball jigs and see if it flows better.
Cold Feet

Offline gudkatch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2003, 12:49 PM »
Tony,  Thanks for the tips.  I love this web site!!!
If a dog is man's best friend then a fish has to be man's best chum!

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2003, 12:13 PM »
gudkatch, the info Tony gave you is great.  I wish there had been someone around when I started, that could have explained it that well.  If you want to do a little custom work on the blades, try using epoxy to build up the bulk after you have joined the hooks and blades with solder.  Make sure you de-flux them with solvent just the way Tony expained and then use epoxy to form the depth like you want.  You can paint them just like solder.  By using more or less solder at one end or the other you can change the fall/drop characteristics of the bait.  Try some 90 degree bend jig hooks with the eye coming up a half to a third of the waay to the front of the blade.  You can change the vertical action of the teardrop into the horizontal action of a flutter bait.  You can sandwich the 90 degree hook between to blades and make a very nice silhouette bait.

Pop

notfishing

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2003, 04:25 PM »
 :'(Can anyone tell where i can get the jig soddering mat that holds the hook up right ? Thanks inadvance!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.