Author Topic: How do I rig it up?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline shootnmiss09

• Team IceShanty Regular
How do I rig it up?
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:49 AM »
Hey Guys-

I was just out fishing on Lake Minnewaska this last weekend and had alotta bites, but didn't catch much. It is amazing how clear that water is compared to SW MN, It is really cool being able to see the fish swim by. We were using shiners, on jigs and Swedish Pimples. Teh problem was the fish took a bite at the shiner, but when we tried to set the hook the fish just swam away. So how do you hook shiners? What size of hook should we be uisng?

-Shootnmiss09
$~I'd Rather be FISHING right now~$

~IcE FiShErMeN wAlK oN wAtEr~

"Here's the deal...I'm the best there is!" -Ricky Bobby

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How do I rig it up?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 08:51 AM »
What were you fishing for?

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:19 AM »
If you're not hook 'em, you gotta change.... hook placement, hook size and even bending the hook at a slight angle to the side our outward may help.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:40 AM »
Hey Guys-

I was just out fishing on Lake Minnewaska this last weekend and had alotta bites, but didn't catch much. It is amazing how clear that water is compared to SW MN, It is really cool being able to see the fish swim by. We were using shiners, on jigs and Swedish Pimples. Teh problem was the fish took a bite at the shiner, but when we tried to set the hook the fish just swam away. So how do you hook shiners? What size of hook should we be uisng?

-Shootnmiss09
If this was the 1st time site fishing my guess is you were pulling  the bait out of their mouths. Watch for the mouth to close.

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:02 PM »
Might want to try with hook only, no jig. If law allows you could try a "stinger hook", second smaller hook tied short to main hook shank. Some times hooking bait through the lips helps, fish like to swallow bait head first.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:37 PM »
Might want to try with hook only, no jig. If law allows you could try a "stinger hook", second smaller hook tied short to main hook shank. Some times hooking bait through the lips helps, fish like to swallow bait head first.
I lip hook my perch minnows,the minnow seems to stay longer and my catch rate has gone up.  Long shank # 8 jig

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.