Author Topic: Replacement tv for underwater cam  (Read 2575 times)

Offline Swampstud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
Replacement tv for underwater cam
« on: Dec 20, 2013, 09:48 AM »
I bought a cabelas panning camera a few years back  this year I bought a new battery and tried to power up. Nothing. I kept playing with it and figured out since the camera spins and works as it should the tv must be bad. Im sure theres another tv/monitor I can use but its gotta have a S video plugin I believe. Its a circle plug with a small cut out and 5 prongs. I can post pics if need be. I tried to look up some 7in monitors on ebay but wasnt sure about the 2 plug ins I need to match up!!! Please any help is appreciated.
Keep those hooks sharp, or watch em swim away!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Replacement tv for underwater cam
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Look at the dead monitor and see who it is manufactured by and then contact them.

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Sounds like S video to me.  This is an s Video plug   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Video    I would think the only feed you need would be the single yellow video out, the red and white are audio.  I might even have one of those cables.

You might have to go from s-Video to a RCA jack using a converter cable like this 

http://www.amazon.com/CablesToBuy-feet-S-Video-Male-Cable/dp/B0024OF15Y/ref=pd_sim_e_2

TV like this 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:18 PM »
try to plug it into some thing else like a pc monitor or tv/monitor
check power connectors too for the monitor it uses
if it is bad, i would get a lcd display to cut down the weight of the picture tube it cam with. if it came with one

if by chance you have an old vcr laying around, those have s-video on them. so you can use it to be an adaptor to test it to your tv if you tv doesn't have s-video

like CrappieGuy said, the video comes from the yellow rca if you adapt it even further for testing

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:30 PM »
I don't see a female adapter for the 5 pin male camera plug?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:40 PM »

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:50 PM »
Online. Like the original poster said I too have a crappy Cabelas monitor and the camera has a 5 pin male plug. I just see 4 pin female online, not any 5 pin female to hook the good camera up to.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:58 PM »
ok im in a live chat at mono price to try to help you

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:03 PM »
I bought a cabelas panning camera a few years back  this year I bought a new battery and tried to power up. Nothing. I kept playing with it and figured out since the camera spins and works as it should the tv must be bad. Im sure theres another tv/monitor I can use but its gotta have a S video plugin I believe. Its a circle plug with a small cut out and 5 prongs. I can post pics if need be. I tried to look up some 7in monitors on ebay but wasnt sure about the 2 plug ins I need to match up!!! Please any help is appreciated.

try to post. i have monoprice support here reading this thread to try to help you too

UPDATE: never mind waited too long

is this what it looks like?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11509&cs_id=1150906&p_id=8532&seq=1&format=2&rep=jona

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:09 PM »
Do you have 4 metal pins and 1 plastic pin?   That is a normal S Video cable.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:26 PM »
5 metal pins.

3300-yes that looks right, sorry have to check in time to time, busy ;) So I need a female converter correct? Has anyone tried a larger monitor, like 22 inches?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:29 PM »
sounds right
its called a 5 pin din connector

these look right?

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=5+pin+din+to+rca&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

closet to what i guess you need with out seeing all the parts you are messing with
http://salestores.com/svatel109.html

if you use a larger monitor, it will of coarse make the the image bigger so in turn will make it grainier too
test it out on some ones monitor to see if you want it to view that big an image

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Yes, so the camera has the 5 pin din male end and I need to find how to convert to the newer monitors, the saga continues. lol

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:45 PM »
how about posting what camera you have so we can try to find schematics on it

also, need to know what the newer monitor connector will be using

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2013, 01:52 PM »
It's a Cabelas camera about 5 yrs old or so. No name, blk/wht monitor, model-cvs0607, system-ntsc that's all it says

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:48 PM »
we are spinning our wheels w/o proper info

i am not finding any real info on your camera rig. i found used ones sold on ebay and some reviews, but thats about it
then i would need to know what it is you want to plug it into. need the port info
i know these din type connectors can be wired any way the manufacture wanted them to be, so it makes all the harder to figure. out. the way it stands, there is no way to find out how your camera is wired in the din connector and i have no idea what the post is you want to plug it into is either

what i think the din connector is doing, is two wires are for power (12 v, red and black) and two are for video (positive and negative/shield) and the 5th is a dead connector. if so, then you would have to build your own adapter to use the 5 pin din from camera cable and use a female with solder connectors on it to wire it up your self. so you would have to know what wires do what to make it happen. i could figure it out if i had my hands on it or had schematics, but i can't find them on the camera and don't know what you are plugging it into port wise to tell you how to build it.
we use these din connectors in different application such as key boards (olden days) microphones - mostly radio shack used them, audio  and more. i can find the female solder covered connector to use to solder your wires into, but then no info on how to wire it. if you are handy, you could figure it out using a multi meter and measure the pins coming out of the monitor to find the 12 volt signals and the video signals.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:51 PM »
I'd cut the DIN plug off and run the power and video with separate connectors; RCA for video and dealers choice for power. Once the plug is cut off color coding should be pretty standard: red/black for power and yellow/white for video.....

Warranty is gone, camera is probably obsolete..........got nothing to lose.

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Swampstud

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish on!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2013, 03:56 PM »
Its a 5 pin plug,  I have pics but unsure how to post. 
Keep those hooks sharp, or watch em swim away!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.