Author Topic: The Hit and Spit Bite  (Read 6258 times)

grumpymoe

The Hit and Spit Bite
« on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:33 PM »
Perch are notorious for this teaser...for those of you who are fishing blind..(no flasher)....midday bites after the feedbags turn off are a real challenge to set the hook on....if you have the good fortune to sight fish, you will see interested perch mouth the bait and spit it out....then the school will disappear...until you change up and present something different......If I can pass one great tip along to some of the novices, it would be this....whatever you are jigging or deadsticking....make absolutely sure that the hookpoint is buried and not sticking out.....the finicky perch will always do the taste test...and SPIT.....give it a try....Grump

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
Re: The Hit and Spit Bite
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:27 AM »
....make absolutely sure that the hookpoint is buried and not sticking out.....

What do you mean by this, I am taking my children out for there first time perch fishing and I would like it to be a good one so any help will help
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2007, 11:56 AM »
What do you mean by this, I am taking my children out for there first time perch fishing and I would like it to be a good one so any help will help
  Leave the hook point inside of bait.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:06 PM »
One way to catch the "spitters" is to use a spring bobber and never stop jigging. Even between your larger jigging motions, you slightly jig maybe a half inch up and down and stay focused on the spring bobber. Any varience in the motion of the spring, no matter how small, could indicate a fish, so set the hook.There are times when you could double your catches on days when the fish are not aggressively taking the bait.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:08 PM »
Two items;
1. Use Fiska jigs. These have a hook point on each end of the jig. Much of the time spitting occurs it is because the fish take the bait from the opposite side of the hook.

2. FlING THE SPRING...FLING THE SPRING!
The spring creates a crutch. It is a false sense of security. Use an ultra, ultra light 24" rod with appropriate mini real and smooth drag. The rod should be flimsier than most springs (FLING THE SPRING).
Watch how the line leaves the last eyelet. There will be an ever so slight coil of line, or (arc) in the line. Before the rod tip (or Spring) moves from a take, this coil will react. Either by tightening, loosening or just acting weird. SET THE HOOK! By flinging the spring, you will inevetably spend MORE time paying attention to your rod tip, and be looking at it much closer. This will help you land more, and bigger fish quicker than ever! (If done right.

FLING THE SPRING!

Offline perch-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born To FISH Forced To Work
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2007, 12:24 PM »
We are also barbless in Manitoba boys so alot of the time we bury our point of the hook with our bait keepers [a little piece of power bait that we bite off ] When the fish mouth the hook they taste the power bait not the hook!

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2007, 02:20 PM »
Two items;
1. Use Fiska jigs. These have a hook point on each end of the jig. Much of the time spitting occurs it is because the fish take the bait from the opposite side of the hook.

The spring creates a crutch. It is a false sense of security. Use an ultra, ultra light 24" rod with appropriate mini real and smooth drag. The rod should be flimsier than most springs (FLING THE SPRING).
Watch how the line leaves the last eyelet. There will be an ever so slight coil of line, or (arc) in the line. Before the rod tip (or Spring) moves from a take, this coil will react. Either by tightening, loosening or just acting weird. SET THE HOOK! By flinging the spring, you will inevetably spend MORE time paying attention to your rod tip, and be looking at it much closer. This will help you land more, and bigger fish quicker than ever! (If done right.

FLING THE SPRING!
  Most of the time I don't use a bobbber of any sort either,I think I catch more fish by watching the line.  I also don't use a split shot in water up to 15', no mater how small the jig.  Falls slower.

Offline brymanmav

• IceShanty Rookie
  • perch pickin good time
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2007, 08:13 PM »
Yes I totally agree with ya on this......I use a light pole or a good spring bobber.....As soon as i see the first tap I lift an reel, usually this snags them.....Also sharp hooks, no rusty hooks believe it or not this makes a difference......Hope this helps as well.......

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2007, 08:06 PM »
  Most of the time I don't use a bobbber of any sort either,I think I catch more fish by watching the line.  I also don't use a split shot in water up to 15', no mater how small the jig.  Falls slower.
A good rod to look into is made by HT now. It use to be the Eagle Claw Ice Eagle. Must be HT bought out the design Because it is the exact same rod. The tip is ultra sensitive and has plenty of spine to make a good hookset on walleye. In my humble opinion, it is the best rod on the market. You can bend them right in half without them breaking as well. This comes in handy when you hook into a big pike while fishing for panfish. I agree 100% that the best way to detect light bites is by watching the your line and rod tip. Also pay attention to the actually feeling of the rod in your hand. If something feels different than normal, set the hook. Hope this helps.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline calvin21

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My best!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2007, 10:40 PM »
I agree that it is better to fish with no bobber when the fish are finicky, but you can't beat a warm day when you can just set the bait in the hole with a normal summer bobber and just handline the fish in (usually only works in shallow water)

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2007, 09:25 AM »
I agree that it is better to fish with no bobber when the fish are finicky, but you can't beat a warm day when you can just set the bait in the hole with a normal summer bobber and just handline the fish in (usually only works in shallow water)
I carry a small slip on bobber in my pocket for the warm days and if the fish are on the bite.  Just something about seeing the bobber move across the hole or go down or my favorite up.  I however fish without a bobber most of the time,love the feel of the fish on  the rod.

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:38 PM »
Thanks for the info theres alot of hit and spit biters in my local lake.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:45 PM »
Thanks for the info theres alot of hit and spit biters in my local lake.
  You can  learn a  lot about how  a fish bites with a camera and they are fun.  If I could only have one though I would have the vex or what ever make turns you on.

Offline walkonwater1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2007, 12:17 PM »
Two items;

FLING THE SPRING!

The spring is the rod tip.
Kids that hunt, trap and fish don't mug little old ladies.

Big moves to find'em, small moves to catch'em!

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 21, 2007, 03:50 PM »
Does anyone know whether all sizes of perch do that, or is it usually the smaller ones? Whenever I experience the 'hit-and-spit' and similar 'nibbling', it's usually a small fish (of some species) that is caught next. Maybe someone with an underwater camera could shed some light.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:48 AM »
When they start getting picky I just lightly wiggle the tip and slowley lift the rod, just wait for a little weight on the line. Or Switch to a dropper. If you think it is the small fish upsize your bait, that way your only targeting the larger perch. This works for me :tipup:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:54 AM »
This is the reason I use an AquaVu. When I see them start this type of behavior I set the hook when their mouth comes open and usually catch them. I have noticed while Perch fishing that it is usually the larger Perch that get finicky. I have spent a bunch of days on the ice where the Perch bite was very good in the morning and in the afternoon an AquaVu and wax worms or spikes was the only way to catch them. I could watch my buddies bait and there would be 6 to 8 Perch sucking his minnow in and spitting it out and his bobber wasn't moving at all.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2008, 12:06 AM »
This is the reason I use an AquaVu. When I see them start this type of behavior I set the hook when their mouth comes open and usually catch them. I have noticed while Perch fishing that it is usually the larger Perch that get finicky. I have spent a bunch of days on the ice where the Perch bite was very good in the morning and in the afternoon an AquaVu and wax worms or spikes was the only way to catch them. I could watch my buddies bait and there would be 6 to 8 Perch sucking his minnow in and spitting it out and his bobber wasn't moving at all.

I too have an Aqua vu and I know that every one raves about the Vex but that Vex cant show you that the fish has only a portion of the bait in its mouth and that portion doesn't have a hook in it. So all you perch fens out their if you can get the money together and get some type of an underwater camera do so cause I know you will not regret it.

Offline Perchcrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2008, 03:45 AM »
I too have an Aqua vu and I know that every one raves about the Vex but that Vex cant show you that the fish has only a portion of the bait in its mouth and that portion doesn't have a hook in it. So all you perch fens out their if you can get the money together and get some type of an underwater camera do so cause I know you will not regret it.
I totally agree with you, I have an aquavu and being able to watch the perch's reaction to what you are presenting is awesome.  The vexi can't show what the camera can.  PC
A Bad day of fishing in better than a Good day at Work!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.