The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Menomonie area  (Read 7331 times)

Offline Stoutfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Menomonie area
« on: Nov 14, 2006, 12:03 PM »
Any one here fish the far and few lakes around menomonie? I go to school our here and want some advice on the green menomin, and tainter. Is there any other lakes around here that are worth tryin for some panfish and maybe a few walleyes?

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
Re: Menomonie area
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2006, 12:07 PM »
 How far are you willing to travel? Are you originally from Wisconsin? I don't know many lakes from up there. But I live in Osseo,WI (about 45 min. from Menominee).
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2006, 12:35 PM »
Any one here fish the far and few lakes around menomonie? I go to school our here and want some advice on the green menomin, and tainter. Is there any other lakes around here that are worth tryin for some panfish and maybe a few walleyes?

Try some of these.  A lot of them are just north of Dunn County where you're located.  Hope this helps.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/lakes/lakemap/barron.htm

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2006, 01:39 PM »
There is some good fishing on Lake Menomin if you can find the fish cribs.

Spring Valley is about 15 minutes to the west. Lake George isn't too bad for panfish. I had good luck on the crappies out there.

Nugget lake is another good crappie lake.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2006, 03:15 PM »
theres tainter lake just north of menomonie. Pine lake just north of baldwin. I think theres something like Eau Galle just south of menomonie. Depends on how far you want to drive.

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2006, 06:24 PM »
theres tainter lake just north of menomonie. Pine lake just north of baldwin. I think theres something like Eau Galle just south of menomonie. Depends on how far you want to drive.

I fished Pine alot this summer. Limited out on panfish a few times. Some real nice pike too.

Eau Galle also has lots of crappies.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2006, 07:13 PM »
Is lake george the one below the campground in Spring Valley

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2006, 07:31 PM »
That's the one. I live in town so I fish it quite a bit. In the summer there are alot of 10"-14" bass to be caught with the occasional 15"-17". Caught lots of nice sunfish and crappies.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2006, 07:38 PM »
A guy I work with fishes it pretty heavy in the summer and does really good on some nice bass. I don't fish it to much anymore since they charge you to get onto the lake now. But I know that the northern are starting to get to be pretty good size.

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:01 PM »
They charge to come into the park area where the good boat landing is. If you come in from NN there is a boat landing over there that is free.

Offline Evan Turner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2006, 05:54 AM »
well im from eau claire and i usuallly fish on half moon (sort of a lose cause but its 3 blocks from my house so..) and keep my permanant shack on lake altooona

not too far from you either! ;D

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2006, 07:01 PM »
If you drive on the lake from any place they will charge you they have a box on the way from NN if thats the side road that the campground is on. The guy I work with was stopped by one of the wardens for the park and was told he was going to have to pay now I don't know if this aplies for walking out.

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2006, 07:19 PM »
You are correct. If you drive on the lake you have to pay. You can walk on and not have to pay.

I don't understand why they do that. The Corp of Engineers own all of the land that surrounds the lake. I would think that they would charge no matter where you park. But I guess thats a good thing.

Its not a big lake and some of the best fishing is close to that landing. There is a deep hole right out there.

Offline perchpatrol6969

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2006, 08:51 AM »
go fish lake menomin.  You'll catch jumbo perch and walleye all day long.  Every once in a while you might hook into a nice northern.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Ok Give the info on where you are catching the big perch and what you call big perch. I'd love to land on them just once.

Offline mr_Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:06 PM »
ok ive been ice fishing menomin about 30 times a winter for the last 10 years and i still cant catch perch and walleyes all day long ...maybe first ice but thats it
CoRy

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Thats what i'm talkin about. I think it's just a hard lake to fish. Just as bad as tainter

Offline packmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2006, 09:28 AM »
hello fellas, i just found this website last night while looking for a portable one man. i spend a lot of time on another website like this one on open water forum mostly discussions on mn lakes and i must say finally a forum close to home. i have fished mostly this area for years and in thee last couple i have been in search for walleye. the small lakes in this area are truly good for panfish and bass they are lacking the greatest fish of all the mighty eye. my 2 cents about spring valley there are big bass in there. i have got two over six and many over 5 but in away it gets boring but still its nice to have a shack so close to home. in the winter that hole the over guy was talking about is a channel that runs thew the lake i usually set my shack on there for crappies. also when using the day access there is a lot of current and sometimes isn't the best ice, i have seen a few trucks put there back ends threw. well my time is done due to my 6 month old is requesting my attention.
IF YOUR NOT GOING TO EAT IT DON'T KEEP IT !

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2006, 10:07 AM »
I fished over that hole many times last year.

When the sunfish turn off the crappies turn on. Just like clockwork.

Offline packmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:34 PM »
where do u have the best luck for the gills by the dam or out in front of the day access. i wonder when they will be in butches bay. im sure it will be next week if the weather stay cool. i fell through last year with 2 in , there had to be about 20 people out there unfortunately for me there was 0ne of them over 150lbs soak and wet and me about 2 bills. 200lbs vs 2 inches of ice equals coldness.

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2006, 01:09 PM »
I have had good luck both in front of the dam and, believe it or not, straight out from the beach in about 12 fow.

Offline packmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2006, 06:59 PM »
i can believe it one word weeds. do you have luck on menomin for eyes or perch, only fished buches bay for snakes. i also had some good luck on bone. last year i got my biggest northern about 15lbs on the south side of the island with dead smelt. i actually seen a guy catch about a 12lb one at the sv ice fishing contest in front of the day use area, there had to be about 100 tip ups and he was the only one using smelt and wham. so i invested in some smelt. Joannes bait shop outside of amery carries some occasionally

Offline bbmonkey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:20 PM »
A few perch but nothing to brag about. Mostly crappies. I have just started fishing for eyes in the last year and have been mostly unsuccesful having only caught one.

Did you mean Gen's bait just north of amery? Great place and nice people. I was just up there registering some deer.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2006, 07:23 PM »
She has a nice set up for a bait shop and everybody goes there it's right in the middle of most of the lakes when you go up north. What was she charging for the smelt I got some a few years back but don't remember what she charged. Wish we had a place like hers around menomonie. Not a huge fan with the one we have

Offline mr_Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2006, 09:25 PM »
took a drive down the the cemitary after school today and was surprized to see that it didnt even have a thin layer accrosted it was still open water i wouldve thought after last nigt we wouldve at least got a little ice 
CoRy

Offline mr_Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2006, 01:13 PM »
is there any good ice in the area ? i would like to get out this weekend. thanks !
CoRy

Offline packmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2006, 08:58 PM »
how much do you way ? because me i gota wait at least one more week, but the owner of the company i work for has a cabin in danbary at he said the his lake was froze over last weekend. also one heck of a drive.

Offline packmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2006, 09:00 PM »
sorry i mean weigh

Offline mr_Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2006, 11:44 PM »
lol im a good two bills ice has to be a little thicker for me to walk on it
CoRy

Offline packmann

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2006, 05:51 AM »
ya i weigh the 200# and 2" of ice are not enough, actully it is but not more then 10 min in one spot, does anyone have any suggestions for walleye or perch early ice. im not looking for exact locations just general.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.