Author Topic: Walleye Questions  (Read 2193 times)

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye Questions
« on: Mar 08, 2008, 02:34 PM »
 In michigan the walleye are getting ready to spawn and I was wondering a few things.

1. Do they move around a lot, or can you search for them with a vexilar, like you can with panfish?
2. Should I search for them on flats or contour breaks?
3. Will they be by a dam, like they are in the summer?
4. What is the best depth to find them in March on a lake that gets down to 50 feet with flats of almost all depths.

Thanks for the help

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
Re: Walleye Questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2008, 04:25 PM »
Walleye will tend to start moving toward river mouths in the lakes or flats of sand in 6-10 ft of water.  During the spawn we have caught them in 2ft of water on a gravel shoal.  Look at the lakes contour and composite and look for shallow gravel bars.  They will start staging outside of them.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Sandbars,gravelbars,these bars simulate water movement.In a lake I fish there is a spillway that dumps water under a road to the other side of the lake,it simulates a stream or river,strong flow of water,they be stack in there till around the beginning of April ,then there done,and scatter back over the lake.

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2008, 11:11 AM »
Not sure where you are fishing in Michigan, but have been spending a lot of time on Saginaw Bay this year myself.  There is some structure down there, but you cant think like a pan fisherman on a body of water that is almost entirely a flat.  When you move/hole hop, dont think of it as feet or a few yards, think in terms of 1/4, 1/2 or even a mile to find the fish.
MASON

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2008, 04:24 PM »
I agree with muskie hunter, also need to know lay out of your lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.