Author Topic: Walleyes that have plenty to eat....  (Read 6896 times)

Offline jr_the_dj

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleyes that have plenty to eat....
« on: Oct 23, 2007, 12:01 PM »
So here is the deal, the last couple years I have tried fishing for Walleyes in lakes that were well known for their population, but were also heaviley fished. I was not very succsessful.

Now this year I am taking a trip to a small "hidden gem" in the northern part of the state. After talking to a fishery biologist he told me that the lake has a great adult walleye population but there is a lot of natural food for them to eat (Dink bluegills, and sucker minnows) he thinks this maybe the reason why the lake is not heavily fished.

Does anyone else have this issue? Or is it really an issue? Cause I really want to catch a few this year, all CPR.

Any tips would be great thanks
Jiffy Ice Drills Pro-Staff
Aqua Vu Pro-Staff
HT Enterprises Pro-Staff
PK Lures Pro-Staff

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
Re: Walleyes that have plenty to eat....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2007, 08:06 PM »
I can't see it being a huge issue.  If they are there they will be catchable, and moreso being a lake which doesn't see much pressure.  If you could get in there with a boat and a locator just before freeze up you may find where they are and they should be in the same spots at first ice.  First and last ice will be the best.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
Re: Walleyes that have plenty to eat....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:44 PM »
couple suggestions, first one being: try smaller suckers, in regular spots, humps, dropoffs, etc etc. If the suckers dont work, jig up some of those sunfish that are in there.  I got my first mountable walleye last year (first fish kept in 10 years) and it had 6 yellow perch in its stomach, granted they were all on the smaller side..........  This summer was a phenomenal year for me for walleye, we boated 175+ keepers and even more shorts, some of which came on BLUEGILL.  They will eat them!  try to catch the smallest ones possible and give them a haircut, usually i cut half the tail off and either the whole top fin or one of the bottom fins.  Usually I'll dropshot them but it can be done with a regular tip up rig and heavier splitshots.

hope this helps, good luck.

E

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.