Author Topic: St Paul Ice Expo  (Read 675 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
St Paul Ice Expo
« on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:34 AM »
Did some of you go?  What were your thoughts?  After a year hiatus due to Covid I figured it would have been packed, but it really wasn't.  Based on my observations, I bet attendance was down quite a bit from average.  There were several open booth spots on the main floor which you never see (Frabill wasn't even there) and the bigger retailers were out of a lot of stuff too, especially the shelters.   

It made it nice to walk around with some elbow room and actually get to check things out and talk to reps though.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: St Paul Ice Expo
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2021, 10:49 AM »
I did not go but I've been thinking about planning a trip to go in a few years. Other than being able to see/use, in person, the newest offerings from the vendors, is there much of a benefit to going? Any "in person" deals or giveaways?

I saw that they offer a ton of seminars but I'm not sure it has enough to offer to make the drive.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2021, 01:02 PM »
In the past there have been discounts up to 20% off retail prices.  Most of the large retailers are there:  Reeds, Marine General, Joes Sporting Goods.  Not sure what discounts were there this year.  You can also go back in forth to the retailers and see if they will beat someone's price.  Its always worth a try if you like to haggle.

There are quite a few giveaways.   Eskimo and Clam usually has a number of them throughout the weekend. Eskimo usually does one every hour on Saturday - not sure about Sunday.  Clam usually does some large giveaways, and smaller in person ones.  Some of the smaller vendors usually have something going on, but not sure if its need to be there to win. 

Also a good place to put your hands on a rod or equipment and decide if you like the feel.  Lot of manufacturers there.  With this large of a place, this gives you a chance to actually talk to someone about what you are looking for. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2021, 01:21 PM »
Yes, I do believe is a great place to go to put hands on things you want to try out (rods, clothing, shelters, etc).  Also a great place to speak 1 on 1 with some of the biggest names in the industry. 

I was just surprised to see such a fall off from years past in terms of stock and vendors and discounts.  Sign of the times I guess...

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2021, 01:59 PM »
Agree - COVID supply chain issues with a lot of them.  Now comes the - will these retailers still be keeping there show discounts now that the show is over questions?? 

Supply and demand may say not, or they may just keep a small discount.

I spent most of my time ordering off the on-line websites of these vendors if I felt I needed it.  Spent too many days going to visit the retailers and not finding what I needed, or they didn't have their stock out on the floor.   
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2021, 03:09 PM »
I'm sure it's partly maybe because not many of the vendor staff wanted to commit to three days of being around a gazillion people that may have COVID....that would be the best place in the world to get it. Sure did have a lot of fun, albeit the $7.00 hot dogs... ::) I always managed to get a deal on Sunday afternoons, when the vendors wanted to get rid of as much as possible before lugging it all back. BUT, yer selection was usually way down, and the best stuff was gone. Usually, anyway. I did over the years get some great bargains, however, and met a lot of great staff that were very useful to know later. Big Jon and Mike from Marcum....Curt from Frabill.... ;)2
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.