Author Topic: Thank you Amped Outdoors!  (Read 1556 times)

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Thank you Amped Outdoors!
« on: Nov 20, 2019, 07:00 AM »
With the help of Matt at Amped Outdoors I am done with my battery box. It should be quite the improvement over using a pile of standard batteries. Matt was a big help answering all my questions, as a site sponsor he is a valuable part of our ice fishing community. I sent numerous emails over his way and he answered them all in less than 12 hours, sometimes less than 12 minutes. Just wanted to say a thanks to him and Esox for setting up the group buy on the batteries.

I could have bought one of his premade battery boxes and I would have certainly saved some money, but I really wanted to utilize SAE plugs over the banana clip idea. I wanted the SAE's to all be individually switched as well:

The box is made with 3 of Matts 20ah LiFePo4 batteries in PVC wrap wired in parallel. 60 amps in a relatively small package that weighs about 20lbs. The box is an MTM Ammo can, the .50cal model:

Another reason I wanted to build the box myself is to make it ergonomic to my setup in the flip. It's easy to run the cords where the plugs are, and the switches all make sense where I put the battery box in the shanty:

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Thank you Amped Outdoors!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2019, 07:03 AM »
Looks great, and a heck of a lot lighter than my box I built with two 18AH SLA batteries!  ;D  And I second the great customer service.  I haven't purchased one yet, but I messaged him on here a few times with some questions, and always replied very promptly.  When I do pull the trigger on a lithium battery, it will surely be from Amped.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2019, 07:30 AM »
Fantastically meticulous looking work!! Whenever I get around to buying a panoptix, this will likely be what I do for batteries
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2019, 07:31 AM »
Looks great Dr. G!  It's always a good thing when you can reach out to a vendor/sponsor:)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2019, 07:46 AM »
Nice work doc! One word of advice: I wouldn't try to fly with that. You'd probably lose some time...  ;)2

And thanks for giving Matt and Amped a plug. He's been very good to us here at IS  :clap:. Really a first class operation!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Fantastically meticulous looking work!! Whenever I get around to buying a panoptix, this will likely be what I do for batteries

This is one of the reasons I made the box. At some point, maybe this year if I find a deal, I will pick up a Panoptix. Until then my little Helix 5 will have to do the trick. I have it mounted with my Aqua Vu on one of the hoops with RAM mounts using their quick clamps:

Also use a 10" LCD panel to run the camera output, or if it gets slow or overnight I can stream Netflix or Youtube to it via Google Chromecast. I mount that the same way, with RAM mounts and Quick Clamps in the upper corner of the house. It lets my fishing buddy, if I have one with me, to have a better view of the camera:

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2019, 09:07 AM »
Looks great, and a heck of a lot lighter than my box I built with two 18AH SLA batteries!  ;D  And I second the great customer service.  I haven't purchased one yet, but I messaged him on here a few times with some questions, and always replied very promptly.  When I do pull the trigger on a lithium battery, it will surely be from Amped.

Holy moly, that's gotta be heavy.  I got one 18 and ditched it for Matt's batteries.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2019, 09:13 AM »
Holy moly, that's gotta be heavy.  I got one 18 and ditched it for Matt's batteries.
  It's a tank!  The only reason I uses them is because I get them for free from work when they replace the batteries in the backup power supply each year.  To be honest, I haven't even used the battery box on the ice yet, and I built the thing a few years ago.  I did use it camping a few times to run a fan in the tent all night.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2019, 03:11 PM »
Looks great doc wish I had the patience to make my stuff look that pretty.  @)
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline elliottmills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2019, 09:12 AM »
With the help of Matt at Amped Outdoors I am done with my battery box. It should be quite the improvement over using a pile of standard batteries. Matt was a big help answering all my questions, as a site sponsor he is a valuable part of our ice fishing community. I sent numerous emails over his way and he answered them all in less than 12 hours, sometimes less than 12 minutes. Just wanted to say a thanks to him and Esox for setting up the group buy on the batteries.

I could have bought one of his premade battery boxes and I would have certainly saved some money, but I really wanted to utilize SAE plugs over the banana clip idea. I wanted the SAE's to all be individually switched as well:

(Image removed from quote.)

The box is made with 3 of Matts 20ah LiFePo4 batteries in PVC wrap wired in parallel. 60 amps in a relatively small package that weighs about 20lbs. The box is an MTM Ammo can, the .50cal model:

Another reason I wanted to build the box myself is to make it ergonomic to my setup in the flip. It's easy to run the cords where the plugs are, and the switches all make sense where I put the battery box in the shanty:

Can you share where you found the connector on the top with the flip tops? that's exactly what i'm looking for!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2019, 09:43 AM »

Can you share where you found the connector on the top with the flip tops? that's exactly what i'm looking for!

Yep, those SAE plugs weren't cheap at $10 per, I looked for like a week online and in the end I went with Amazon. Hope this link works, I am sure it's all filled with cookies from my Amazon account: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X1DCNK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If that doesn't work right copy and paste this into Amazon: AYECEHI 12AWG SAE Cable,SAE to SAE Solar Weatherproof Socket Sidewall Port,SAE Cable Quick Disconnect Connect Panel Mount Universal Flush Mountable Connector - with Mounting Screws [Male to Male]

There are cheaper ones available, the round ones, but they take up much more space. I really like how these are laid out and small and panel mount.

I took the SAE plug off the other end and used it to connect all my devices.

Esox found the larger, round ones much cheaper from Alibaba, the Chinese Amazon. Might have to wait a while but if you want the round ones it saves a ton of money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.