Author Topic: tips  (Read 4506 times)

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
tips
« on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:24 PM »
bought a rod at the end of my season. What is the best bait and method with a jigging rod?

Offline nygoosehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: tips
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:18 AM »
bought a rod at the end of my season. What is the best bait and method with a jigging rod?

My experience is to use a size 10 demon jig or a teardrop jig, and don't forget to put a couple of spikes on there for an extra treat.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2008, 07:34 AM »

Get a spring bobber and start with perch to get you technique down.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2008, 03:19 PM »
Use a chubby darter. This will teach you patience....LOL.

Actually, I like a pilkii style spoon with the dropper...shiny for clear and chartreuse for stained water...for several reasons this is my first choice for people fairly new to jigging:

1.) lure is heavy enough to be easy to work with (for loops in reel and tangles)
2.) Can be used with a float or without
3.) Small size of hook and larger spoon for attraction make this a good choice for multispecies lakes
4.) Very effective - I have caught 5" perch and 20+ walleye within minutes of each other
5.) Shows up as 2 separate marks on Vex...and you can pull the "bait"up to the fish if they key on the spoon
6.) Easy to add a treble hook or change size hooks

Good luck...when I go to a new lake, this is my first choice due to versitility.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2008, 08:36 AM »
throw a couple of mousie grub on a thomas spoon and drop all the way down to the bottom . when it hits the bottom, real up about 3 or 4 cranks. this should do the trick.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:59 AM »
used a perch last year, worked real well.  :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2008, 10:01 AM »
hey icefischer-45, what did you get on the perch. never tried perch but did nail some l.m.b. on sunny"s
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2008, 03:29 PM »
 Always carry a extra propane bottle for the heater. :tipup:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Sep 22, 2008, 04:02 PM »
 A Hali and a couple maggots!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2008, 06:36 PM »
drive to lake,walk out on ice,find the right depth,find the fish,be lucky to find a lure that the fish will bite,stay warm and vertical. now how hard is that?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.