Author Topic: catching pond shiners(golden shiners)  (Read 1961 times)

Offline x182dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
catching pond shiners(golden shiners)
« on: Feb 03, 2014, 11:10 PM »
Hey guys I found a local pond that has them in there.  Whats the best way to get them on a jigging pole?  I am looking to get some pike bait and save some money.  I have caught them up to 10in before in open water.
Catch and Release!

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: catching pond shiners(golden shiners)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:46 PM »
can you drop a minnow trap in there??

I would do both if allowed. Let the trap soak for a few days and still have fun jigging up bait.

I would use a very small jig and top with pieces of trout worms, which I have caught in open water. That said, I have never targeted goldens under ice before so I am sure you will get much better advice from other members, maybe tip with a spike?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: catching pond shiners(golden shiners)
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:07 PM »
I caught a bunch of them this winter on small jigs with a spike up to about 10".  Wasn't fishing for them.  The school really lights up my LX-7.  They move so fast they make spots that march across the chart screen instead of arches or lines.  I found them in about 7-10' of water along a break.  They were consistently there for a month.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.