Author Topic: Tight lining  (Read 889 times)

Offline cutter

• IceShanty Rookie
Tight lining
« on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:02 PM »
How deep is to deep for tight lining gills or perch. A lot of my lakes I fish are 20 to 40 ft deep.i have fished lakes in the 5 to 10 ft range but never tried to tight line in the 20 or over depth

Offline chris71383

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tight lining
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:46 PM »
I would say there is no depth limit, just different equipment that makes it more efficent at deeper depths. Stardard fly style reels work great up to 10-12 ft., any deeper and the 1:1 retrieve ratio becomes a handycap. Deeper than 10 I would go with a multiplier reel, 3 big ones this year are the black betty 6061, frabill 261, and the eagle claw. Another nice feature of those 3 reels is push button free spool to let line out which gets the jig back to the fish alot faster that pulling line by hand. Another thing to consider is switching to a braided line instead of mono or flouro to maintain sensativity and hooksetting power in deeper water.

Offline cutter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:56 PM »
Thanks Chris ; I guess what I am asking is how hard is it to detect bites in deep water while tight lining

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Guys are doing it in 100 fow for whities and they can bite mighty lite.

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2013, 03:00 PM »
I use Fireline microice, 1 or 2 lb for deep perch with no leader. Much easier to detect the bite and set the hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.