Author Topic: Polyester Canvas to Fix Holes?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Polyester Canvas to Fix Holes?
« on: Oct 16, 2018, 09:49 AM »
Doing some repairs on my 6 clam hub shelter (Thermal) and it has some holes in the roof and on the sides. I was thinking of buying a 100% Polyester Fabric from Joann's to cover the holes and then spray them over with waterproofer. Anyone have some suggestions? Should I sew them in or use glue? 

https://www.joann.com/solarium-outdoor-fabric-54in-rave-indigo/13094404.html#q=waterproof%2Bcanvas&start=1

Also, a separate issue. I have a flipover that has no zipper, but the track is good. Clam told me it's a size #10 zipper, so I bought a "Fix'n'Zip" Zipper off amazon. I've got it tight enough to close the teeth on the track but can only get it to close, but it's too tough to open the door back up. I'm going to try waxing the track, but don't think it will help.

thanks! 
Tight Lines!

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Polyester Canvas to Fix Holes?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2018, 10:22 AM »
I've had success with bar soap on stubborn zippers - worth a try.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2018, 10:48 AM »
I spray my zippers with silicone. I have used soap and Chapstick, but like silicone best. I have also used candle wax to lube zippers and the snaps on my boat cover. Dry graphite is also recommended, but is messy.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:04 PM »
for the hub, try iron on patches. test for heat on a wind flap first. use wax paper between the iron to the patch. in a pinch gorilla clear tape is water proof and pliable and very strong.

the flip zipper might need adjusting or a different size. it maybe too close to the teeth it sounds like and needs a bigger one. if the bigger one is too big pinch it closed some on each side.
you could try opening the current zipper slide with a screwdriver or a pair of them or what ever you can muster to spread the jaws open more. just take it easy so it doesn't break.

lube is always a good thing and to help keep them from freezing also.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2018, 12:58 PM »
I spray my zippers with silicone. I have used soap and Chapstick, but like silicone best. I have also used candle wax to lube zippers and the snaps on my boat cover. Dry graphite is also recommended, but is messy.

Agree with all of this. I'll add that beeswax if by far the best wax you can use. Much more durable than the paraffin most candles are made of. Check with your local church for their candle ends. Usually your favorite price and a few ends last for decades. Don't even think about the graphite. You'll regret the mess for a very long time.

Torn covers etc. I just Gorilla taped a boat cover that got snagged with a lure. Did both sides and made it home without a wholesale tearing of the cover. For a more permanent patch I use marine canvas often available at a camping supply store. To attach I've always used a product called Pliobond, similar to a contact/rubber cement it is good for a whole pile of stuff. It's waterproof and stays flexible forever. Problem is it's almost impossible to find anymore. Contact cement "may" work but I have no first hand experience there. I've got a tube of this Lexel stuff that would probably also serve. It's an "elastomeric polymer" adhesive/sealant. It's similar to silicone except much stickier, some of these products will apply under standing water. Stays flexible in a wide range of temps and dries clear. Schlorb some on each surface and press 'em together with weight.

Good Luck!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2018, 08:20 PM »
finally got a new zipper on it, ended up having a back pack I don't use much that was the same size. Just had to cut some teeth out of the zipper to get it on and sew it back together.

Now I just need some type of Canvas for hole repair. Walmart apparently sells waterproof canvas.
Tight Lines!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2018, 09:27 PM »
What about hippo patch its water proof they use it on waders..and it seal's it permanently..  also used on inflatable boats one on out side one on in side..

If it thermal I would use it like a sandwich cookie one piece on inside  and one piece on out side .. to seal it..and keep it watee proof there more about this stuff on their web site..

http://hippopatch.com/buy-online/

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:59 AM »
https://www.fishusa.com/product/Otter-Fish-House-Patch-Material

Otter sells a patch kit if that interests you at all. Even if it doesn’t, it should give you an idea of what is being sold for this specific purpose (all of which you should be able to find locally).
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Thanks for all the input everyone. think i am going to go with this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/FWD-Canvas-Fabric-Waterproof-Outdoor-60-wide-600-Denier-Many-Colors-sold-by-the-yard-White/774308720

600 Denier Canvas and waterproof, seems like a pretty good fit. Clam recommends using 3m #77 spray on adhesive so i'll probably go that route. I'll be placing the patch on both sides of the Hub and then hitting it with some Starbrite Waterproofer. Anyone ever use Spray on Adhesive? any tips? I'm worried about spraying it on and having the frost or dampness at night/morning mess with the adhesive.
Tight Lines!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2018, 12:34 PM »
I've used 3m 77 many times the key is to spray both surfaces and wait till it just starts to get tacky ( not very long) and then put both pieces together. it works really well done a lot of interior work on cars with it. The key is to have an even layer on both surfaces your mating. Good luck it's not that bad.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2018, 12:53 PM »
i'm putting it on some tricky areas, do I need to be worried about making sure I get a good "pres" on it. I know often times when bonding things together ppl recommend placing a rock or heavy object on top, but I won't be able to do that with this big Hub Shelter.
Tight Lines!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:24 PM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:29 PM »
Tight Lines!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:33 PM »
May find a solution or two here.

https://www.gearaid.com/collections/all
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2018, 07:04 AM »
I've used 3m 77 many times the key is to spray both surfaces and wait till it just starts to get tacky ( not very long) and then put both pieces together. it works really well done a lot of interior work on cars with it. The key is to have an even layer on both surfaces your mating. Good luck it's not that bad.

I have used the 3m 77 also and it works well.  I used it on an old clam shelter I inherited from some mice - and patched both sides with patch material I ordered from clam.  If you are using thermal you may need to stitch it as well, I haven't patched thermal.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2018, 08:48 AM »
I ended up getting the Walmart Waterproof Canvas, 600 Denier. A lot cheaper and basically the same color and Material as the stuff from Clam. Hoping to glue it on sometime this week.
Tight Lines!

Offline Flagging

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2018, 08:06 PM »
Following.  Can't wait to hear how it comes out!  I can say that the clear gorilla gear tape did not work well for me.  As soon as it got real cold it came right off.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2018, 07:14 AM »
About the 3M 77 - Be mindful of the overspray, that stuff is sticky. Spray both the patch and the cover. If you make a stencil the exact size of the patch you can spray the cover without getting the sticky stuff around the outside of the patch to collect dirt and look crappy. Keep it flat and weighted down until it dries/cures. Consider placing a second patch on the inside for extra strength.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Patches worked well for the most part and the 3M did it's job. The big patches however aren't staying down as tight as i'd like. I'm going to try sealing the edges with clear gorilla tape, it's not sticking how i'd like, so i'm gonna hit it with a heat gun to see if it sticks better.
Tight Lines!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Patches worked well for the most part and the 3M did it's job. The big patches however aren't staying down as tight as i'd like. I'm going to try sealing the edges with clear gorilla tape, it's not sticking how i'd like, so i'm gonna hit it with a heat gun to see if it sticks better.

I put Gorilla tape on a flexible nylon insulated cooler bag as a test of its durability ..noticed it wasn't sticky but to my amazement that is some great stuff stayed on even after being tossed around and over filled ..I was impressed  .

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2018, 06:53 AM »
A few years back I picked up some clear tape from Camper's Inn designed for awning repair (to repair a damaged rag top).
The tape was incredibly sticky and pliable (more rubbery than cellophane type tapes). It wasn't cheap but it works... you could look into something like that as well if the Gorilla tape doesn't do the trick.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.