The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: well im back  (Read 1490 times)

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
well im back
« on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:07 AM »
After a lot of long hours of work and not being able to get out much I'm looking to try and get out this week. Now that there's an added hour of sunlight I can get out after work for a little bit so I guess now the question is. Where should I go?

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
Re: well im back
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Where do you normally go?!?

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:28 AM »
I guess I should have mentioned that lol but normally I'm on gull lake and I fish Indian lake from time to time also. Now I'm just looking for something new. I've still never gotten a northern through the ice so I'd like to try for some pike

Offline gimp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:32 AM »
little indian lake has been real slow. try long for pike

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Most lakes have been slow, that time of year. Big Lake up by Martin has some HUGE pike, big gills too in between flags. I have not been there in a while but it does have promise and not too far from K-zoo.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:48 AM »
I'll have to get my map out I'm not sure of where that lake is at. Is it north side of martin?

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Anyone been on gravel lake recently?

Offline michiganice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2014, 01:36 PM »
Anyone been on gravel lake recently?

Was there two weekends ago...slowwwwwww

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:08 PM »
This is the last week we will get to fish for pike as the season ends on the 15th!! Should be a good week for them based on past experiences. Think I will set some tip ups on gull lk this week, haven't seen anyone on South Bay and there are lotsa pike there. Also by the conference center. Good luck to u all.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:49 PM »
I'll have to get my map out I'm not sure of where that lake is at. Is it north side of martin?
You get off of 131 at the Martin exit. There is a road that runs north along south bound 131 heading north. Follow the road until it dead ends, turn left and go maybe 1/8-1/4 mile and the boat launch sign is on the right but you turn left onto the road to the lake. It seems more like a driveway, it splits and if you go right you end up down by houses, follow it to the left and you will hit the boat launch. Hope this helps and good luck!

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:13 AM »
This is the last week we will get to fish for pike as the season ends on the 15th!! Should be a good week for them based on past experiences. Think I will set some tip ups on gull lk this week, haven't seen anyone on South Bay and there are lotsa pike there. Also by the conference center. Good luck to u all.

When do you plan on going?  I do well on the south bay for crappies and I've set tip ups out but never any flags

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Wow! Pasta boy! Cool Story Bro! How about I take your tip at face value. Big lake ok, your directions are good. Parking there stunk, there is a snowmobile trail that goes buy the lake and apparently they like to park there trailers there while sledding around. This chokes up parking quickly. Next your tip on bull GILLS? Maybe there is. But the 6 different guys I chatted with all showed me what they were catching and miniature bull GILLS or potatoes chips would be a more accurate description. And Pike. Why was I the only one on the lake running tip ups out of say 20 ish guys? I do not know either. I saw one flag that day. It was one of mine. A nice bass I released back to the lake.  So anyone that wants to try this lake, go ahead. But let's see whose description best fits most people's fishing trip. If you want to give a tip. That is fine with me. Try to keep it up to date though. Big lake is more like Bust Lake.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:55 AM »
 RealityCheck why are you so pissy today? haha.there are nice pike and bass in big lake but the gill fishing does suck.tons of dink gills.i know I fish this lake quite often all times  of the year..

Offline Able2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:53 PM »
I am going to try Friday morning between 730-noon or so at good ol Gull lake South Bay.   Fish on!

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Not really super upset. Just annoyed. Kinda like going on a blind date and finding out she is a fat girl. The date is not going to be a total waste. But your expectations will not be  "satisfied".
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Nothing better than finding your own fish. Maybe you wwere ther on a bad day, just saying.
Wow! Pasta boy! Cool Story Bro! How about I take your tip at face value. Big lake ok, your directions are good. Parking there stunk, there is a snowmobile trail that goes buy the lake and apparently they like to park there trailers there while sledding around. This chokes up parking quickly. Next your tip on bull GILLS? Maybe there is. But the 6 different guys I chatted with all showed me what they were catching and miniature bull GILLS or potatoes chips would be a more accurate description. And Pike. Why was I the only one on the lake running tip ups out of say 20 ish guys? I do not know either. I saw one flag that day. It was one of mine. A nice bass I released back to the lake.  So anyone that wants to try this lake, go ahead. But let's see whose description best fits most people's fishing trip. If you want to give a tip. That is fine with me. Try to keep it up to date though. Big lake is more like Bust Lake.

Nothing better than finding your own fish. Maybe you were ther on a bad day, just saying.

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:43 PM »
Reality Check, I'm sorry it was a bust. I have never had any snow mobile riders clogging things up there. I have done well on big gills there, there is a 45' hole almost straight across from the boat launch around the point on the west side of the lake is where I found them in winter. I don't fish tip ups but I have seen some nice pike come out of there. I have seen them both summer and winter using my Aqua Vue. I have had huge pike stealing 9" gills off my lines in the summer there. I know they are in there. I never meant to send anybody on a wild goose chase, I would not like it if somebody did that to me, especially to someone of the "Brotherhood" of fishermen. I did say I had not been  there in a while and the lake had promise and was not too far from K-zoo. I was just trying to help steelheader to have an option of a lake to get on that was close. I think that is why they call it "Fishing" and not "Catching". As far as fishing tips go I guess I will just keep my mouth shut from now on........
Tight lines.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:06 AM »
Well i decided to hit the river instead of the ice. 2-3 on steelhead. 2 bright male chromers at 2lbs and 7lbs. Both of them caught early in the day on the kzoo

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:39 AM »
i would go where you normally go this time of year. if the bite is bad, wait until near dark and fish into the dark. deep water and dark is good right now. you have to call them in. a buddy of mine has a special fish caller, its a left handed cigarette

there are tons of lakes to choose from like over 6000 of them, but i like saving money on gas and fish close to home

@ pastaboy, thanks for helping and don't quit helping
every one fishes with different things and different methods and different times and different weather

if you want a hot tip from me for location/lake. i hear no luck duck lake calhoun is producing huge gills in a short amount of time. now if you go there and get skunked, its not on me. i don't go there. way too many do

good luck!

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 17, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Thanks 3300! I have a buddy that fishes "No luck Duck" and does pretty well. He does not fish it as often as he would like due to the "Crowds".
You can lead a man to a lake, but you can't make the fish bite for him.  ;D

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #20 on: Mar 17, 2014, 10:25 AM »
it happens to me a lot too
fish bite is best ever, so i call my buds to go put the hurts to them and BAM nothing on the sonar
crazy stuff
so i go fish scouting and always find them and they moved only 10' away stacked like a cord of wood waiting for the slaughter
go again and they are there, but tight lipped son of a guns. makes you wish you had some nitro or snag hooks or some thing, any thing at all. freaky when they do that too

right now deep and dark is key where i fish. shallows are out

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 17, 2014, 11:11 AM »
it happens to me a lot too
fish bite is best ever, so i call my buds to go put the hurts to them and BAM nothing on the sonar
crazy stuff
so i go fish scouting and always find them and they moved only 10' away stacked like a cord of wood waiting for the slaughter
go again and they are there, but tight lipped son of a guns. makes you wish you had some nitro or snag hooks or some thing, any thing at all. freaky when they do that too

right now deep and dark is key where i fish. shallows are out
I have hooked up with another IS Member this year and we have been getting out some together. Fishing has been slow at times but good people and good fun. He has turned me on to a couple lakes and was disappointed that we did not "limit" out and felt bad like he gave me bad info but that is the nature of the beast. I have other guys I fish with that will tell me they are rockin' at our favorite spots and the next day, totally moved (either shallow or deep) and you have to work for them. If I can catch a meal or two I'm good, if not, it still is nice to be out with good people in God's country and thankful I am still here and can get out at all! I have been finding deep and dark to be true, "Thank you" for the tip!  :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.