The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: weird ice @ upper brace lake calhoun  (Read 403 times)

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
weird ice @ upper brace lake calhoun
« on: Feb 02, 2013, 02:23 PM »
was testing ice conditions with a heavy pipe and auger at boat launch. couldn't get the pipe to bust thru so i would drill a 4" inch hole to measure the ice. was 4" mostly dark ice, so went on, same method, took 3 steps while banging the ice with pipe and sounded fine. stopped to drill  another hole and right leg went thru. rolled back where i was standing and wondered what was going on. measured 2' from where i went thru and it was 5" good ice. so i guess the drain holes and maybe auger holes are keeping bad spots in the ice. wish i could have seen the ice before it froze again. you can't see the frozen drain holes as its all snow covered. i have about 9" snow around my home and the lake has about 2" on it. i know no one talks about the lake here, but i know people do fish it hard, so thought i would post a note weird ice.
i use artic armor ice suit and i am not afraid of drowning, but wet boots are uncomortable...

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
Re: weird ice @ upper brace lake calhoun
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:14 PM »
Good man! safety is the word that snow cover can hide ugly.
:icefish:

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: weird ice @ upper brace lake calhoun
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:22 PM »
I experienced the same thing today minus the leg going in.  I had to spud the crap out of a place that was open water yesterday and it was thick solid clear ice but where it met up with the ice that survived the warm up I blasted through in 1 hit with my spud.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.